What's new

16gb of ram trying to create a template for EWHO

sIR dORT

I'm currently using Ableton Live 9 with a 2018 MacBook pro with 16gb of ram, and my chief orchestral lib workhorse is EWHO. This combo can create a problem (HO isn't very light on the cpu in my experience), which means that I can't really set up a good template without having to freeze lots of tracks, the result of which is a much much slower workflow in detailed orchestral pieces.

So, are there any tips/tricks/things that I can do to get some sort of template going without making my computer have a seizure? FYI in my previous failed attempt, I was doing KS patches for most instruments, in order to speed up my workflow, but would doing individual articulation patches help lighten the load?

DJM

have you considered another daw?
At times, yes. But I don't really have the money too, and I would rather not have to learn another daw now that I'm so comfortable in Ableton. The bigger problem is the 16gb of ram and trying to create a template with that (I think).

Ouch, that sounds nasty :barefoot:

Well, to save CPU you obv have to go with higher buffer, avoid plugins during composition stage and bounce to audio for mixing (and only then use plugins). Not sure how it works in Live, but in Cubase when you have an instrument loaded it kind of reserves asio/cpu even if it doesn't play, so in that case have as little as possible tracks activated, only those that actually play.

And the same thing about activated tracks for saving RAM. Obv go just with a single mic position. Is there disable track feature in Live? That would work... If not, maybe invest in VEP so you can disable (unload) instruments and load them with a single click as you go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom