12 Years Old. Twelve. There is hope for humanity.

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by robgb, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    Yes, of course I worded this wrongly, saying that it was only possible if you're already in a privileged position. But you get the general idea. I'm sure you've been seeing certain types around you along the way and could tell the difference.

2. reutunes

reutunes Senior Member

May 1, 2012
  3. mikeh-375

mikeh-375 Senior Member

Feb 8, 2016
    Earth
    Absolutely Jimmy. Some of my more affluent peers at the Academy went completely off the rails, it being their first time away from a safe environment. Mix in hyper sensitivity, cheap discounted booze (aaahhhh, sigh) and first time love/sex (aaaaaaahhhhhh etc.) and seriously, it was the downfall of an inordinate amount of students.
    For someone like the subject of this thread, she will have to leave the nest at some stage so I hope the adulation she is getting at present doesn't skew her opinion of herself. When (if?) she gets into an environment where every other student can play and write as well as her she will have to step up more so.

creativeforge likes this.
  4. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    That's a good point. Hopefully she'll be able to navigate through that and remeber to stick to what really matters - her abilities, the work and dilligence and the joy of music. A lot of times overly pandered young people can lose sight of that.

5. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    I just hope she's not only blessed with unusual talent, but also with an unusual mental resilience and capacity to find happiness in life, because afaik not too many of the child celebrity stories end well. Too much success too early in life leaves too little room to grow. I hope she can brave the storms that undoubtably she'll have to face at some point, and wish her the best. Her achievements are very impressive but I'm not envious at all.

Do students get special discounts on booze in your country? If so, that seems kinda counter-productive. x]

6. OP
    OP
    robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    She's already a better composer than 95% of the people on this forum. But every thread needs a little condescending snobbery to make it complete.

Kony likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    robgb

Apr 6, 2016
    The "discussion" maybe. But it would be nice to leave the wonderful video of her concerto behind.

creativeforge likes this.
  8. mikeh-375

mikeh-375 Senior Member

Feb 8, 2016
    Earth
    Do students get special discounts on booze in your country? If so, that seems kinda counter-productive. x][/QUOTE]

We did when I was there, not sure about these days. The bar introduced some special strength lager once as a trial, it was carnage with students and some professors lolling about all over the place. Counter-productive?.....dunno, can't remember.

MartinH. likes this.
  9. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires Senior Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    Fortunately I am not in that 95% group.

robgb and Rob like this.
  10. TimCox

TimCox Senior Member

Oct 14, 2013
    I think the piece is beautiful and incredibly well-written but there's no harm in pointing out that it is very noticeably in the Classical period. The fact is that if she wasn't 12 she'd be raked over the coals by critics as derivative. Whether justifiable or not, I'm not qualified to say. Although I do agree there is a difference between condescending and critical!

11. OP
    OP
    robgb

Apr 6, 2016
    Almost all music is derivative. I'm not sure that even qualifies as criticism.

David Cuny and Kony like this.
  12. TimCox

TimCox Senior Member

Oct 14, 2013
    I think it's valid criticism, I've seen plenty of new classical music get chastised because it's not modern or forward thinking enough. I might not wholly agree but it's still valid (John Williams gets similar criticism for relying on romantic era conventions, just to add some perspective to what I'm saying). My main point was that the age of the composer is helping here, please don't misunderstand that. If she keeps this up, she'll be a major MAJOR artist.