What's new

10 YouTube channels to follow as a composer

While not strictly aimed at composition but rather music production in general, the top channel in my book as a REAPER user is REAPER Mania by Kenny Gioia. This is (IMO) a rare example of sharing invaluable skills by a true expert in a simple, no-nonsense way.

Speaking of composition, I do follow several channels on the subject, especially Guy Michelmore who often makes me smile in the process. I have also found many good bits of advice on Spitfire's channel, being a user of a number of their products. However, one of the most inspiring and enlightening channels I've come across yet is Project SAM's official channel. Those short videos on composing in different styles are pure gold. I wish there would be more educational videos with this kind of approach out there.

Great recommendations all! I have some additions:

I'll start by adding Marc Jovani's Cinematic Composing channel to the list. Here's a recent example:

@Guy Rowland doesn't post videos often, but his product videos are very good. Here's an example:

Most of Alex Ball's videos are about keyboards, but many will find this sample library method video from 2018 to be a must watch:

Best,

Geoff

Last edited:

I don't know any of them 😮 Thanks for sharing, will check ASAP!

Dirk Ehlert
@Dirk Ehlert

for excellent and entertaining hands-on to new libraries, including give-aways.

And you know what's even better than his already good videos? His course. I fully recommend it.

great for the basics of music theory

good as well for that

These look great! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
+ 1 for Anne-Kathrine Dern and Joël Dollié
+ 10 for Alex Ball whose vids save a bad day, and Christian Henson for the good vibes too and plenty of good advices
+100 for Pete Calandra, Alan Belkin, Alex Heppelmann

I don't know all of them. Will check, thanks!

Top Bottom