What's new

Graphics tablet as controller?

Mornats

Hobbyist
This strikes me as quite a mad question but I thought I'd ask, even though it's a long shot...

I'm toying with getting a cheapish graphics tablet for photo and art work on my PC. I had a silly thought that there may be a use for one as some sort of midi controller? Like an XY pad or something? I'm crazy right?

I only know the trackpad alternative, which is AudioSwift...

But I have seen some studios running separate touchscreens which can do such crazy stuff. Might need the rest of the community here to chime in.

I use my Wacom Intuos with the "Thrill" library. Left hand on the keyboard, right hand holding the pen and "drawing" the modulations on the X-Y axis.

Thanks all, seems I'm not quite that mad and it could come in useful. Good to know!

If you want to use your phone as a controller, Lemur for iOS (and maybe other platforms by now?) is another one to consider, in addition to TouchOSC already mentioned. I've built myself some nice custom interfaces with Lemur, and hey, the controller's always in my pocket!

I've done graphics tablet MIDI stuff with Pure Data before. If you're not familiar with it, Pure Data is a Max-like scripting environment that has pretty robust MIDI capabilities.

I grabbed a Huion H610 Pro V2 today and it's pretty good for drawing in midi CC in Reaper. I'm getting some nice smooth lines that I couldn't get with a mouse. It's also really good in Affinity Photo and Designer and feels really natural to use.

Top Bottom