What's new

Thoughts on Venice Modern Strings?

Here is a little comparison of the tone of some libraries.
It is much too early to do a full review, this is not meant to be one.
I hope one can hear the difference in tone/timbre of Venice Modern Strings in comparison to the others quite good.

I know I know: This small snippet you hear, is a mediocre composition at its best :rolleyes:. I took all efforts to create parallel fifths and octaves whereever I could :). I even sucessfully managed to let the Celli line cross the Violas :laugh:. It only uses a tiny fraction of articulations/mic positions of what's available.
I apologize: every inconsistency in timing the only one to blame for are my playing skills :unsure:.
I hope it is still interesting for you :)

I have slightly adjusted velocities, note positions/lengths, dynamic CC to accomodate for the different libraries. And adjusted the overall volume to be roughly equal.
Otherwise no reverb or external processing (except for the two mentioned below).

You hear a small snippet consisting of: Violins 1 Legato, Violins 2 Legato, Violas Sustain, Celli Legato + Staccato, Basses Staccato.

The following are the 7 runs you can hear in correct order:
1: Venice Modern Strings (Close + Far Mics, this is how it loads per default).
2: Venice Modern Strings (Spot + Close + Far Mics, added Spot Mic gives more presence/edge)
3: Venice Modern Strings (Spot + Mid Mic, kind of more intimate setting)
4: Spitfire Chamber Strings "SCS" (Mics as loads up per default)
5: Cinematic Studio Strings "CSS" (also as loads up per default)
6: Adagietto with a little bit of Valhalla Room Reverb and panned to my liking
7: Century Strings with a little bit of Valhalla Room Reverb and panned to my liking

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/s1001_v000_3xvenicemodernstrings_scs_css_adg_cty-mp3.20622/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Thank you, this is very helpful.

As promised, with apologies for whatever Soundcloud may or may not be doing :)

Sorry Constanteum, I just realized I didn't do fast legato passages, just legato, polyphonic legato, staccato and pizzicato.

Thanks very much. Like the legato and the polylegato very much. More and more libraries offer polylegato. That's great. Thanks !!!

Lovely demo audio Jay. I feel that you have been doing something that we hadn't be able to do, properly.

Lovely demo audio Jay. I feel that you have been doing something that we hadn't be able to do, properly.

Whhaaattt? Definitely not a demo, just me improvising the “Summer Of ‘42” theme with your lovely strings.

Happy to do a proper demo later if you want.

By the way, here's there is a nice overview of the library done by a third party reviewer (Mike from Professional Composers):

Not sure if the staccatos with the spot mics are the best thing about the library but it's nice to see our library in the hands of others.
(also about the vibrato it is proportional to the dynamics and the Molto Vibrato has actually an effect on the stronger dynamics).

By the way, here's there is a nice overview of the library done by a third party reviewer (Mike from Professional Composers):

Not sure if the staccatos with the spot mics are the best thing about the library but it's nice to see our library in the hands of others.
(also about the vibrato it is proportional to the dynamics and the Molto Vibrato has actually an effect on the stronger dynamics).

too bad that still doesnt cover all the articulations which i believe the rest of the potential customers are curious to find out. We'll still hold up and wait for a thorough walkthrough of the library with all aspects covered. =)

I see there have been a few requests for more information on how VMS handles Short notes and runs. Here's something that I have been noodling around with just now. 1st time is Violin 1 Staccato 2nd time Staccatissimo. Tightness turned up to maximum & using Spot and Close Mics. No additional Reverb. Might do some more if there is any interest and this is not to offensive ! Really enjoying playing around with this library.

Last edited:
I see there have been a few requests for more information on how VMS handles Short notes and runs. Here's something that I have been noodling around with just now. 1st time is Violin 1 Staccato 2nd time Staccatissimo. Tightness turned up to maximum & using Spot and Close Mics. No additional Reverb. Might do some more if there is any interest and this is not to offensive ! Really enjoying playing around with this library.

not bad but i really like to hear a full review of the library. really like the sound of the strings....i think Spot Mic add lots of details to the sound. ehhe

by the way, any example of fast runs?

This is sounding really good to my ears Paolo. Loving all of the demos/tests users have posted so far.

When constructing runs "artificially" what patches do folks usually use from string libraries ? A legato/sustain patch with a staccatto/staccatisimo overlay ?

Top Bottom