What's new

Logic Pro 10.4.5 Update

Wow. This update is great. The dynamic plugin feature is a game changer. Performance all round seems better too. And this is on my "scraping the barrel" combo of 2011 iMac and High Sierra. If I'm "stuck" here until the next Mac purchase, fine by me.

Only one "bug" so far - the text anti-aliasing issue has returned for those of us on non-retina dinosaurs. I can live with it.

Of note: My crusty old iPad Air no longer meets the stated minimum requirements for Logic remote - yet is appears to be working still. Perhaps an impending update will finish it.

A final thought: I'm not convinced that there's a "Logic 11" around the corner anytime soon. We've had numerous interface tweaks, articulation mapping, new synths, drummers, loops, sampler instruments, tempo features, usability tweaks, big automation tweaks, new audio plugins...and now today's update. At this point - what major features would you add to justify a new version? To say we've been spoilt would be a huge understatement!

You're on the same generation of machine that I am, so that's encouraging. A little hesitant now though.
If it helps, I've got the new Logic ready to go on my machine and have a bunch of work to do with it this weekend. If you're still undecided come Monday, give me a nudge and I'll give you my findings. ;)

Can't say this is my experience at all, having run it from release and still today.
Happy to know it can work. On my Mac mini 2012, I'm still experiencing slow exit from sleep (through improved after careful optimizing), Preview insisting to open PDF files in tabs, whichever the settings, infinitely slow in searching, and an odd mix of Italian/English UI. And something reported by some and experienced a couple times myself: a long wait after reboot, without any notice on what was happening from the system.

However, no major issues to report up to know, as for general stability.

Paolo

And something reported by some and experienced a couple times myself: a long wait after reboot, without any notice on what was happening from the system.
Oh, this I can totally agree with. From a cold boot - it's about a 20 min wait before the machine becomes usable. Solved by using sleep and rebooting once in a blue moon.

Maybe to avoid replacing a nice OS with a can of bugs. Sorry to be the one to say it, but switching to HS is an unavoidable one-way trip to hell.

Paolo

I will say the initial transition to HS was a pain, but it’s been great once I got it dialed in. Many of my issues had to do with the new T2 chip and its Bridge OS, but that all settled down after the recent patch for that. Looking forward to trying this new version of Logic - nice to see many wish list items checked off!

Maybe to avoid replacing a nice OS with a can of bugs. Sorry to be the one to say it, but switching to HS is an unavoidable one-way trip to hell.

Paolo
Often, it's better once you've made the trip, but it's been rare for full version level system updates not to break things in a fundamental way, though both High Sierra and Mojave went without a hitch for me, even as some of the incremental updates have caused problems, which used to happen only rarely. This next one, though, will be bad and will require replacing a lot of existing software, so I'll likely skip it unless something comes out that requires the new system.

Hi Mr. Babylonwaves - any changes to the Articulation ID scheme that you are aware of?
I haven't found anything yet but I'm sure they've fixed little things.

What I've found is that they apparently fixed this issue where certain Kontakt libraries (SF, Heavyocity etc) spill nonsense data into your recording on other tracks. What you were seeing in the end were strange Fade events in Event Edit. That seems to be gone and a reason to celebrate (at least for me)

Happy Friday, Marc

A quick question having searched through some old threads - no doubt I missed something..

Still on Sierra here with 10.4.4, all very stable. HS is the highest I can go on my old Mac. Is it worth upgrading in order to get 10.4.5? I mean, is HS reliable enough at this stage? Thanks.

Yes I've seen the (mixed) comments here from people about HS. Would just like a bit more reassurance before taking the plunge..

Last edited:
A quick question having searched through some old threads - no doubt I missed something..

Still on Sierra here with 10.4.4, all very stable. HS is the highest I can go on my old Mac. Is it worth upgrading in order to get 10.4.5? I mean, is HS reliable enough at this stage? Thanks.

Yes, although you should make an image backup - not just a backup, an image backup - in case it breaks something other than Logic that you can't live without. HS introduced APFS - the new file system.

I was only using it for a few days on the way to Mojave, but it worked very well. And I've read exactly two complaints about it, both in this thread, one of which is from Dewdman - the guy who says Logic 10.4.5 is a garbage update. :)

In general Apple doesn't release OS versions that are too buggy to use, especially when Logic is its own program.

The first time I updated to High Sierra I had to go back to Low Sierra, but the Logic issue I had (inability to find templates) was fixed long ago.

Last edited:

Yes I've seen the (mixed) comments here from people about HS. Would just like a bit more reassurance before taking the plunge..

I updated both of my music computers from Sierra to High Sierra just a week ago. I had viewed this upgrade with hesitation for a long time, but so far it has been entirely painless, and both computers seem to work better and faster now. So I wish I'd done it earlier ... and how fortunate that I did it just in time to keep on upgrading Logic!

Any reason not to go all the way from Sierra to Mojave? I'm using some 32 bit legacy apps with my MTP Av and Alphatrack but from what I've read, Mojave will still let me use 32 bit apps.

There were bugs initially with High Sierra, especially in disc handling (file system) but that's all fine now. Been running it for months without issue.

Top Bottom