What's new

Upgrade from cubase pro 9.5 to cubase pro 10 - is it worth it? Or wait for 10.5?

Goldie Zwecker

Steinberg is having a sale ending soon, of upgrades for a 50% discount. There's no rush as they have these sales from time to time.
But anyway, is it worth it? For example i didn't upgrade from cubase pro 8 to pro 9. I waited for 9.5.
Are the features of 10 make a huge difference from 9.5 - or mainly "cosmetic" changes?

Its more a matter that it may be years before you see another 50% off sale. This sale price is as good as youll see

If youre happy with 9.5 and dont see a need for the new features, then save your money. However, you could take advantage of the sale, pick it up cheap and have it ready.

Personally, I would get it then hold off installing until a couple more updates have been released. V10 works really good (from my experiences) but there are still one or two glitches that need ironing out. Nothing serious, but could be bothersome.

Remember that unlike Native instruments who allow everyone to upgrade at the same price regardless of what version of the software they are on, Steinberg use a tiered upgrade system, so the longer you wait, the more you have to pay later. With this in mind I do recommend upgrading, regardless of if you find anything particularly useful. Unfortunately Cubase is now a "yearly subscription" for me.

Personally, I would get it then hold off installing until a couple more updates have been released. V10 works really good (from my experiences) but there are still one or two glitches that need ironing out. Nothing serious, but could be bothersome.

Unfortunately with Steinberg these "glitches" may never be ironed out! But you can always go back to 9.5 if you find the bugs unbearable; love this about cubase, updates dont overwrite old versions, and you can open new projects in older versions without issue.

Unlike @SomeGuy I personally only pay for something when I do find a feature useful to my work flow, so I am still on 8.5. However I'm seriously considering the update as there are features in 9-10 I would use (AUDIO ALIGNMENT (10), automation curves (9.5), improved Metronome / patterns (9 & 9.5) MixConsole History (9), etc. Though none of these were "must upgrade features" for me at the time, when you add all this up, plus $100 off, for me is pretty significant and its probably time to upgrade. $50 for you and little useful features, you might be less inclined.

Last edited:
They only do 50% off upgrades like once a year, don't they? I'd just grab it now. If you really don't care, hang on to it and activate to 10.5 for free. I've done that in the past with Wavelab, but for Cubase, I use that all the time so like to stay fairly current.

They only do 50% off upgrades like once a year, don't they? I'd just grab it now. If you really don't care, hang on to it and activate to 10.5 for free. I've done that in the past with Wavelab, but for Cubase, I use that all the time so like to stay fairly current.
Was the upgrade from 9 to 9.5 for free?

No, how it works is you activate your 10.0 license after 10.5 is released so you are in grace period, e.g. they do this for people who buy the 10.0 upgrade and then 10.5 comes out next day. I did this once by accident because I went to upgrade Wavelab only to discover I already had an upgrade license code, and when I entered it I was upgraded to the latest due to being in grace period.

I haven't done this on purpose because I wait for sales so the pricing is fine and don't feel the need to abuse the grace period system and in general as mentioned prefer to stay on current version rather than wait for next release.

Since years I always buy the Cubaseupdates when the even numbers (8,9,10) are on sale (summer) and activate it when the .5 version is released (autumn).
I think Cubase is perfect as it is and I am happy with my workflow.
I seldom use the new features so I just buy the update to stay current.

Since years I always buy the Cubaseupdates when the even numbers (8,9,10) are on sale (summer) and activate it when the .5 version is released (autumn).
I think Cubase is perfect as it is and I am happy with my workflow.
I seldom use the new features so I just buy the update to stay current.
Did it. Bought the upgrade. So now i have to sit and wait? I didn't even downloaded it. Or is it not the same action - to download and to activate...?

i got my update serial for cubase 7/8 instantly after payment was done. check your mails.
That wasn't what i was asking about. Of course i got my serial.
But the advice here was "wait until you activate it. wait for 10.5 to get out, and then activate your 10.0 which would automatically upgrade to 10.5 as part of the grace period".
My question was about the difference between downloading the update without installing, download with installing it but without activating it yet - or activating it.

But the advice here was "wait until you activate it. wait for 10.5 to get out, and then activate your 10.0 which would automatically upgrade to 10.5 as part of the grace period".
My question was about the difference between downloading the update without installing, download with installing it but without activating it yet - or activating it.

once you activate the serial your grace period will be gone. if you want 10.5, just wait until it is out and then activate the serial.

Activation is when you activate the serial to your elicenser, which determines what version it will enable. Download/Installation is a 2nd step. If you want to wait as far as I know you must wait with the activation of your serial, if you do it now you only get 10.0.

Do not activate now.
Wait until 10.5 comes out, then activate your serialnumber on your elicenser.
It will then automatically show 1 license for Cubase 10.5.

After that you install 10.5.

I updated with a cubase 5 license as I was not prepared to give up my cubase 6 license
That with the 50% sale offer was a no brainer.

Because of the big gap between cubase 6 and cubase 10 I was blown away with the looks and changes I think Steinberg has done a great job and am very pleased with cubase 10 yet to do something heavy with it and see loading times, cubase 6 is very stable under pressure, and am yet to see this with cubase 10 some very handy features that will have you hooked, must say eye candy too.

Top Bottom