What's new

Aaron Venture Infinite Brass

because even if the note is pretty short I have to simulate the blowing on it to get this nasty strong sound
That's the thing with Cresc. Time, it determines how fast will the soft attack reach your current Dynamics (CC1) value. If you shorten it to the minimum, you can play lower velocity notes and it will "blow" into your current CC1 really fast. You can also have a lower CC1, and then hit hard velocities, which will create an accent curve (check the manual). I designed these functions so that they can help, among other things, make performing short repetitions really easy.

Check the MIDI and you'll see that I don't actually do almost any CC1, except at the end when the shorts go a dynamic marking louder. It's all just velocity and note duration differences, while the script is handling everything for you in the back end.

That's the thing with Cresc. Time, it determines how fast will the soft attack reach your current Dynamics (CC1) value. If you shorten it to the minimum, you can play lower velocity notes and it will "blow" into your current CC1 really fast. You can also have a lower CC1, and then hit hard velocities, which will create an accent curve (check the manual). I designed these functions so that they can help, among other things, make performing short repetitions really easy.

Check the MIDI and you'll see that I don't actually do almost any CC1, except at the end when the shorts go a dynamic marking louder. It's all just velocity and note duration differences, while the script is handling everything for you in the back end.

Ok, I'll check it out and let you know. ;)

Ok, now I'm trying to replicate this, it is a very fast passage. Could you help me to achieve it.

Listen to the first five seconds:

I followed your advices by playing with the cresc. Range knob but I'd like to know if there are some more things to do for this.

Thank you.

I missed this!

I played it in (at half speed, though :D). Short Cresc. Time on trumpets and trombones, default (~30%) on horns.

It's just note duration and note velocity at play, no CC1 isn't really doing much here. Clarinets and bassoons are from the upcoming Infinite Woodwinds, but I don't think you can hear the doubling all that clear :grin:

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/scherzo-for-x-wing-bars-1-3-mp3.19074/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Scherzo for X-Wing bars 1-3.mp3
    248.4 KB · Views: 447
  • SFXWing bars 1-3.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 38
I missed this!

I played it in (at half speed, though :D). Short Cresc. Time on trumpets and trombones, default (~30%) on horns.

It's just note duration and note velocity at play, no CC1 isn't really doing much here. Clarinets and bassoons are from the upcoming Infinite Woodwinds, but I don't think you can hear the doubling all that clear :grin:

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/scherzo-for-x-wing-bars-1-3-mp3.19074/][/AUDIOPLUS]
Sound great !

I missed this!

Thank you so much Aaron, your library is awesome. Can't wait for the expansion, the woodwinds and after it the strings.

Hi Aaron, another question came to my mind, this time more about "space".

Could you please share some thoughts on instrument positioning? When you will finish you orchestra you could give some tips on how to set the three microphones for each instrument to place them in a virtual space.

I'm asking this because to give more bite you should go up with the close mic but this could sound unrealistic in an orchestral enviroment.
If you could give some tips on your instruments, how to blend them together I would be very grateful. Especially when your woodwinds will came out and after it when the strings will came out.

Thank you so much.

Hi Aaron, another question came to my mind, this time more about "space".

Could you please share some thoughts on instrument positioning? When you will finish you orchestra you could give some tips on how to set the three microphones for each instrument to place them in a virtual space.

I'm asking this because to give more bite you should go up with the close mic but this could sound unrealistic in an orchestral enviroment.
If you could give some tips on your instruments, how to blend them together I would be very grateful. Especially when your woodwinds will came out and after it when the strings will came out.

Thank you so much.

@DANIELE Aye. Once the woodwinds are out, very keen to see how they 'blend' with the brass, and how the balances are set e.g. would I just be able to load up all the instruments, use the same mics, and get a roughly in-place sound that I can go ahead and compose with?

@aaronventure

Yeah, in that regard it's like all close mics in other libraries. If you want a more intimate setting, I would suggest trying out the Studio, and then adding your own reverb tail on top.

I like the idea of fully captured rooms so you can position your orchestra as you please, but both capturing that and implementing (in a way that the experience doesn't suffer) would be much, much more work. It's something I've been thinking about and definitely something I'll consider if at some point down the line, when all the instruments are released, I decide to add new spaces.

Woodwinds are much more flexible in this regard, as they all share the positions instead of sections each having their own set. For all instruments, you can choose any of the 3 rows and 18 positions in each row. The first two are kind of standard woodwind positions, and the 3rd row is a bit further in the back. So you can cram in 54 woodwind players into one room and position them exactly as you wish.

would I just be able to load up all the instruments, use the same mics, and get a roughly in-place sound that I can go ahead and compose with?
Yes, pretty much how it's intended and how it worked for me when creating the demos. 1dB up/down depending on the taste/sound you're looking for/context. I don't remember not adjusting levels ever when working with other libraries, so I guess this will always be a subjective topic, even if it's just a couple dB of difference.

Yeah, in that regard it's like all close mics in other libraries. If you want a more intimate setting, I would suggest trying out the Studio, and then adding your own reverb tail on top.

I like the idea of fully captured rooms so you can position your orchestra as you please, but both capturing that and implementing (in a way that the experience doesn't suffer) would be much, much more work. It's something I've been thinking about and definitely something I'll consider if at some point down the line, when all the instruments are released, I decide to add new spaces.

Woodwinds are much more flexible in this regard, as they all share the positions instead of sections each having their own set. For all instruments, you can choose any of the 3 rows and 18 positions in each row. The first two are kind of standard woodwind positions, and the 3rd row is a bit further in the back. So you can cram in 54 woodwind players into one room and position them exactly as you wish.

Yes, pretty much how it's intended and how it worked for me when creating the demos. 1dB up/down depending on the taste/sound you're looking for/context. I don't remember not adjusting levels ever when working with other libraries, so I guess this will always be a subjective topic, even if it's just a couple dB of difference.

Amazing. So this leaves only one more thing to ask, especially given that today is pay-day. Are you going to release the woodwinds around pay-day? ;)

Hah, you guys'll have to wait a few more days. There's gonna be a ridiculously good deal for all Infinite Brass owners (even though the library has more instruments than Infinite Brass) so I don't think your wallet will be hit all that much. The deal doesn't have a time limit, so worst case scenario is you wait for the next payday :grin:

Hah, you guys'll have to wait a few more days. There's gonna be a ridiculously good deal for all Infinite Brass owners (even though the library has more instruments than Infinite Brass) so I don't think your wallet will be hit all that much. The deal doesn't have a time limit, so worst case scenario is you wait for the next payday :grin:

now my heart wants to cry...

you're the real MVP

Good to know that the deal will not espire because in a few days I will be far from home for a week or so... :)

Ok guys, 2 days have passed so now whe have to wait a few more days minus two. :grin:

Sorry, I'm just kidding.

Top Bottom