What's new

Is there a way to see the actual notes for the articulation changes in Spitfire instruments?

Headlands

Some of their instruments have a big amount of articulations and it would be massively helpful to see what key/note corresponds to what exact articulation. Right now it's a guessing game -- they almost always start at C-2, yes, but to be able to look and instantly know what exact key switches are for what exact articulation would be great and a time-saver in many cases. I'm hoping I'm just missing an option to do this. Almost all of my other Kontakt-based orchestral instruments have this, for a good reason.

Last edited:
Uhm...don't you have the keyboard up? If you don't, press F3 and you should see where the articulations are mapped.

I see that, yes, but I mean knowing exactly which individual articulations are on which individual specific notes/keys. Spitfire is one of the few companies that oddly doesn't have that visible clearly on the interface, it seems.

I thought the reason they are not named is because you can customise them? Clicking and dragging the note(s) group around to start on any note of your choice, in any octave, on the Kontakt virtual keyboard (Then lock them down, if you want).

I know you can also do this with VSL libraries as well.

Maybe you are talking about something different, and I'm talking nonsense?

Last edited:
I see that, yes, but I mean knowing exactly which individual articulations are on which individual specific notes/keys. Spitfire is one of the few companies that oddly doesn't have that visible clearly on the interface, it seems.
I agree completely. Yes I can drag the keyswitch keys around so they are visible on the Kontakt keyboard, but why not also show each one directly below each articulation on the UI? Would be so simple to do and would improve usability...

I agree completely. Yes I can drag the keyswitch keys around so they are visible on the Kontakt keyboard, but why not also show each one directly below each articulation on the UI? Would be so simple to do and would improve usability...

While it would be great, the reality is a lot of developers approach this differently and it never satisfies all users. My suggestion would be create some articulation maps in your DAW. if you have libraries that let you change the Keyswitches, try and get them all mostly to the same switches and save new patches so you’ll find yourself searching less.

Last edited:
If you enable the info line in Kontakt (F9 in standalone, but it's that thing that shows below the virtual keyboard), when you hover above a keyswitch with the mouse it will tell you which articulation is on that KS.

KS names.gif

Should work at least for their Kontakt Player stuff.

I’ve had inconsistent results with that.

Top Bottom