What's new

Amp Simulators for Virtual Guitars

Zoot, please don’t! I think you’re a great source for information and opinions. Most any thread is more valuable with your involvement. And anyone who references the good Captain in their handle is my kind of guy...
Seconded.

"Mister Zoot Horn Rollo, hit that long lunar note,
And let it float."

-Don Van Vliet

Best,

Geoff

anyone check this out?

$50 off intro sale still on - i have the Howard Benson, it's good, but Plini is still my go to.

https://www.stltones.com/pages/stl-tonality-will-putney?utm_source=STL+Tones&utm_campaign=f729c504de-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_05_02_11_40_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_949ede8d45-f729c504de-70246359&mc_cid=f729c504de&mc_eid=38ad7d8ee6

Wow, a lot of guitar amp modelers out there!

I’m looking for something that approaches a more wooly, tube-driven, doom metal sound ala Sunno, Earth, Early Sabbath (especially Vol.4), Kyuss and the Melvins Houdini album. Somewhere in there. It might be that closest is a Marshall plexi, V4 or Orange/Matamp emulator (do the second two even exist?)

I’m also looking for something that sounds heavy but clear ala Neurosis, the last few Swans, etc. I thinking that for this and the above maybe S-Gear is still the way to go? I’m not sure some of these heavy guitar emulators would work since they are tailored to stuff like Meshugah, palm muted death metal, etc.

The plan is to you the emulator along with a few real amps (old Marshall, Ampeg Reverbrocket, RCA monoblock).

Wow, a lot of guitar amp modelers out there!

I’m looking for something that approaches a more wooly, tube-driven, doom metal sound ala Sunno, Earth, Early Sabbath (especially Vol.4), Kyuss and the Melvins Houdini album. Somewhere in there. It might be that closest is a Marshall plexi, V4 or Orange/Matamp emulator (do the second two even exist?)

I’m also looking for something that sounds heavy but clear ala Neurosis, the last few Swans, etc. I thinking that for this and the above maybe S-Gear is still the way to go? I’m not sure some of these heavy guitar emulators would work since they are tailored to stuff like Meshugah, palm muted death metal, etc.

The plan is to you the emulator along with a few real amps (old Marshall, Ampeg Reverbrocket, RCA monoblock).

Neural Plini - super nice cleans and great crunch and drive.

a little on the prog side, ala Holdsworth - but super versatile.

After spending some time with the NTS, I finally bought Archetype Plini, mainly because it's more versatile, and it's really amazing.
I also tested it with a Revv G4 pedal clone I build a few weeks ago in front of the clean amp, and it sounds so good.

After spending some time with the NTS, I finally bought Archetype Plini, mainly because it's more versatile, and it's really amazing.
I also tested it with a Revv G4 pedal clone I build a few weeks ago in front of the clean amp, and it sounds so good.

it is lovely.

i'm recently hooked on Kuassa's new Matchlock Fender sims for Strat and Tele cleans.

I have bx_rockrack v1 by Brainworx, and I was not impressed at all. I know I can update to v3 for 29$, but I was so disapointed that I never thought about it.

I have bx_rockrack v1 by Brainworx, and I was not impressed at all. I know I can update to v3 for 29$, but I was so disapointed that I never thought about it.

For whatever it may be worth, I had a guitar recording from about three years back where I’d used Guitar Rig 5. At the time I thought it sounded okay, but I recently bought bx_rockrack v3 and tried plugging it into the same track instead, not really expecting all that much of a difference, and bx_rockrack completely blew away GR5, no contest IMO.

This sounds pretty good to me and he goes into details how his fx chain looks.

The last Q10 on his chain was the only EQ needed in my opinion. He ended up taking all the good parts of the sound away, seriously throwing the baby out with the bathwater with that completely unnecessary processing. That being said, it should indicate the amp (and the pedal) sounded astonishingly good.

The last Q10 on his chain was the only EQ needed in my opinion. He ended up taking all the good parts of the sound away, seriously throwing the baby out with the bathwater with that completely unnecessary processing. That being said, it should indicate the amp (and the pedal) sounded astonishingly good.

Yeah, I tried replicating the setup (at least up till the cab IR, I don't have all these fancy EQs and effects) and fiddled with my own EQ settings, but in the end I switched to a different IR and ditched most of the EQs again. A couple years ago I bought the "messiah cab" IR pack, that is being demoed here:

To be honest, I'm not even sure if I'm making any progress at all in finding "my tone". Usually on the next day it all sounds weird and/or I'm liking one of my old attempts better than the new one again, but not well enough to actually use that old one :D.

I think my next step really has to be picking ref-tracks with parts where not much else other than the guitars are playing and trying to match that as close as possible and see which kind of sound I can get closest with on my setup. Maybe I'll post an A/B comparision between a reference and my take on it here to get some feedback.

Is there a trick to hearing whether something is double- or quadtracked? I think I can hear when there's a 3rd or 5th guitar in the center but I'm never sure whether it's double or quad on the L/R channels. E.g. on "Jaktens Tid", is that double- or quad tracking? My best guess would be that it's double tracked, but I don't really know.

Most of the bands just double track their guitars (GT1, GT2, hardpanned L/R), as quad-tracking is not very useful, especially with reamping and VST possibilities nowadays. That L/R- approach counts also for Jaktens Tid, where only two rhythm guitars were used. It's enough to get even that one guitar player to perform his part decently once. :D

Top Bottom