What's new

Apple introduces first 8-core MacBook Pro

A lot of my video and music friends have made the jump to a 100% laptop rig for the past 6 months... and it destroys their previous tower/trashcan rigs. Truly an amazing time to live in.

The price tag doesn't bother me either. That CPU alone is worth it.

(I can already hear the PC builders marching with their spears at me ;) )

Last edited:
I haven't crushed my 2017 2.8GHz i7 16GB RAM machine yet, but I'm pushing it.

I was considering the entry level iMac Pro, maybe stepping up to 64GB RAM just in case. Then the new iMacs were released, and I could get similar specs for cheaper. Now this for less, but with no option for more RAM, less speed but portability.

iMac Pro, 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 32GB RAM (maybe add via aftermarket), 1TB SSD - $5,000
iMac 27in, 3.6GHz i9, 32GB RAM (maybe add via aftermarket), 1TB SSD - $3,800
MBP 15 in, 2.4GHz i9, 32GB RAM (no option to upgrade), 1 TB SSD for $3,8000

Ehh, MBP value not stacking up.

Any care to compare the Intel Xeon processor minus 0.4GHz to the i9? How much speed am I getting for $1,200?

Ehh, MBP value not stacking up.

Okay, I should have looked first.

This configuration, which has 32GB of RAM (is it user-upgradable instead?) is $3200, $2800 with 16GB.

That's not bad at all.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/15-inch-space-gray-2.3ghz-8-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-4.8ghz-512gb?afid=p239%7C321564&cid=aos-us-aff-ir#

(I've never visited a universe where it's worth $200 for processors that are only .1 GHz faster, so I'm ignoring that.)

Okay, I should have looked first.

This configuration, which has 32GB of RAM (is it user-upgradable instead?) is $3200, $2800 with 16GB.

That's not bad at all.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/15-inch-space-gray-2.3ghz-8-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-4.8ghz-512gb?afid=p239%7C321564&cid=aos-us-aff-ir#

(I've never visited a universe where it's worth $200 for processors that are only .1 GHz faster, so I'm ignoring that.)
I poked around on the net, but nothing on RAM being upgradeable. I was assuming based on passed MBPs.

Ha! I didn't realize the default was 2.3GHz. I clicked the fastest by habit. Yeah, I'd save that $200 also. And I'm getting away with 512GB SSD now. I only save recent projects on my CPU. Another $400 there.

Not bad, but I'd get more value from the iMac or iMac Pro. I'm only 1.5 years into my MBP and already considering an upgrade. I don't want to revisit this again until I'm worried about my machine dying on me. But I'd be missing out on the portability, and I take full advantage of that now.

If RAM was upgradeable or 64GB was an option, this would be easier. Decisions, decisions.

Actually, 2.3GHz may be an issue. I don't know that it is, but it sounds a little on the low side - even after you take all the turbo this and that shozz into account.

Some things end up loading a single core, and I'd worry about that.

In any case, if it isn't this machine, we're very close to laptops being desktop replacements. You just hook up big monitors and drives, and Bob's your uncle.

I’m on my way out the door at the moment so just inserting a placeholder for now, but I definitely have some thoughts having just upgraded to a top-spec MB Pro about a month ago. Quick summary: stunning performance that blows away all but the most hotrodded desktop Macs, and the 32 GB RAM limit doesn’t bother me like I thought it would (especially since I have a big VEP rig in the studio). It really is the first truly portable monster rig I’ve ever had.

It has not been entirely smooth sailing though, especially because of the new T2 chip. More later...

Was waiting for the MacBook refresh (or minor update haha) to upgrade my mobile rig. I'm going for the 8-cores - that i9 9980HK processor is a monster

Actually, 2.3GHz may be an issue. I don't know that it is, but it sounds a little on the low side - even after you take all the turbo this and that shozz into account.

Some things end up loading a single core, and I'd worry about that.

In any case, if it isn't this machine, we're very close to laptops being desktop replacements. You just hook up big monitors and drives, and Bob's your uncle.

Processor speed isn't determined exclusively by GHz value, check out this graph to see actual CPU performance of different processors. You'll notice the GHz is all over the map:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html

The new i9-9980HK in the refreshed MacBooks is a beastly processor

Processor speed isn't determined exclusively by GHz value, check out this graph to see actual CPU performance of different processors. You'll notice the GHz is all over the map:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html

The new i9-9980HK in the refreshed MacBooks is a beastly processor

No it's not only GHz, but I've also been told many times over the years that you still need the cycles on individual cores.

As I said, I don't know that it's an issue with this machine, but I'd sure want to know that it isn't before taking the leap.

I was close to buy a new macbook pro (also my main machine right now) since i need it mobile.
8 core sounds good since multi-core is the way to go for me.
I do not care much about the 2.3GHz since that says nothing really. More important is the generation of the cpu.
BUT....i would wait for some deeper reviews of thermal throttle and so.
As with the older and current macbooks the cpu almost never run at full speed for long anyway, so the 0.1 GHz more for 200 is wasted for sure.
I would be fine with just 512GB since all my samples running from extern SSD´s.
Another big BUT is the keyboard....i really want the old one i use right now on my 2013 macbook pro which never failed (and i like eating and drinking while using it) in any way yet.
Then there is the T2 chip and some other design fails which might bring problems after short time.
Mmhhhh, my configuration (15", 2.3GHz 8-core, 32GB RAM, Vega 20 GPU) would cost me €4199 here (Germany after tax). But as usual i could get the same for about €400-500 less from third party sellers after 1-3 months or so.
Not sure about Apple quality these days. I like macOS and macbooks but not quite happy with the quality and form over function these days. Jony Ive....please go....
But i could say the same over their iPads (which are super great for music production as well).
Never liked the iMacs.
I guess i wait a few months and will wait for some real-time performances and deeper reviews.

About 2 months ago I went for the top 6-core i7 with 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD and Vega 20 video card. I did a lot of research on the i9 and it didn’t make a significant enough difference over the i7, and I was a little concerned about the well-known throttling issue, although that seems to have been solved for the most part.

The video card on the other hand makes a massive difference in overall feel of the machine - especially on video work. Logic feels much snappier than ever before too. The whole OS benefits from the Metal framework, and I did some side-by-side comparisons between this machine and an otherwise identical i9 with the stock video card - mine smoked it in overall graphics performance, despite being an i7. Spring for the Vega 20 if at all possible!

Downside #1: I absolutely HATE the keyboard - it feels extremely cheap, let alone for a $4500 laptop - and not at all up to Apple standards. Thankfully it just sits off to the side in the studio - I run everything from a proper Apple extended keyboard and never touch the laptop.

Downside #2: the new T2 chip and its associated Bridge OS, which is extremely crash prone if the wind blows the wrong way, and when it does, the whole machine will just shut down. That can happen by plugging in or unplugging peripherals, waking from sleep, or other random stuff. It’s extremely disconcerting, and a well-known issue that I hope Apple is working on!

Thankfully that stuff is pretty rare now that I know what usually triggers it, and the machine is a monster otherwise! Truly a stupid amount of power in a portable package...

I'm not here to spit on Apple or its users; I just have a question: what's the point of a $6500 laptop with such low specs? (And I'm not mentioning the fact that Apple tells users to turn off multi-threading to reduce security issues with their chip)

Top Bottom