What's new

Orchestral library for 1000€

i tend to recommend absolute beginners once a good cheap library like this (on sale at the moment $ 199):
https://www.bestservice.com/the_orchestra.html

why? only when you have some experience with orchestra libraries, you will get a sense of what you really need and which of the expensive libraries will suit you. because only in the practical work do you realize which library concepts match your music, your workflow and what is personally important for you.
because no matter how you decide. i guarantee you, your first library will not be the last. after a few months you will want to buy additional libraries. so it can happen to you, you are now investing $ 1000 and realize in a few months that this library does not suit you and your working style. because what you really need, you know only when you have collected practical experience. you can also earn this experience with this $ 199 library. ... and if you know exactly what you need after a few months, you have not lost $ 1000 (in the worst case).

If you're just getting started with orchestral arrangements, I STRONGLY suggest you consider getting Sonic Scores's AMADEUS SYMPHONIC ORCHESTRA, which has all the basics at a price ($150) that is far, far lower than it should be, considering what you get. It also sounds damn good and was scripted by Tracy Collins of Indiginus.

+1000 to this.
The Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra has everything you need to learn. And it has some fun extras like the Symphony feature. If you wait a bit it's possible it will be even less than $150, as it was cheaper when it was introduced.

And do consider The Orchestra because it is half off now, the cheapest it's ever been. But The Orchestra has no solo instruments.

The NI sale should be here any minute. If percussion is important to you, you could pick up their excellent percussion library. There are other great percussion libraries from other companies that don't cost much, including ones from Impact Soundworks and Strezov Sampling.

While you learn on Amadeus, listen to the demos and watch YouTube videos of the Cinematic Studio series and Spitfire Studio series. These two are arguably the least expensive libraries that have the best reviews. Once you purchase one CS library, the others are deeply discounted.

Don't buy retail! Wait until Black Friday to buy the Cinematic Studio series and wait until Spitfire Christmas Wish List to buy anything Spitfire, as you will get 40% off then.

Finally, if you stick with this, you are going to have to spend a lot of money on computer power, SSDs, etc. If your setup is not so powerful now, then there is a huge advantage to starting with Amadeus and The Orchestra. The two Inspire Libraries also work great on small systems, but again, they sound great but do not have all the instruments and articulations you can get from other libraries.

One more thing: buy full Kontakt in the NI sale. Once you have this you will be able to get hundreds of great free or cheap instruments. Also a lot of the best paid libraries are only available with full Kontakt.

Hello,

I'm starting my journey with orchestral arrangements and I would like to buy my first orchestral VST. I read your opinions, went through a "basic guide" and I still have some doubts. This is my first attempt to this topic, so I'd like to spend no more than 1000€ for this. So first - I am interested in creating "pure" symphonic music (at least for first months, to learn how to do it good).

I thought about NI Symphony Series (full version), but I see, that - in general - people don't have a good opinion about it (especially woodwinds). One of things that I'm interested in is an access to each instrument section (this is not a "must have", but it would be good to have this possibility).

Albion series from Spitfire Audio sounds great, but it is 5 packs, 450€ each, so that exceeds my budget.

EastWest - i watched some tutorials and it looks really complicated to me. Also (for me) - strings sounds a little bit rough.

Berlin Orchestra Inspire - I don't have an opinion about that one. Is one mic position a big problem?

Metropolis Ark series - also exceeds my budget.

Maybe i should use different vst's for each section?

Thank you for support :)

Edirol orchestra probably fits your needs and it has sections,also sonatina symphonic orchestra is even free. Maybe you check it out

EastWest - i watched some tutorials and it looks really complicated to me. Also (for me) - strings sounds a little bit rough.

Also put me off, but after getting Hollywood Orchestra and playing with it I found it very simple too use and also sounds great.

I love Spitfire, but be careful as that's a rabbit hole that can hurt your wallet. All good however.

Agree with previous comments, wait for sales as they happen every week these days. NI will have one in the summer...

CSS / CSB / Woodwinds of your choice

Its a pity that you missed the great deal on Spitfire Studio Orchestra - it would have been the perfect package for you.

FYI, if you feel the need to get quality libraries without waiting for sales, you will need to go over your budget:

Cinematic Studio Strings $399
Cinematic Studio Brass $279 (discount for owning CSS)
Spitfire Studio Woodwinds Core $200

That's already $878 without a percussion or piano library. If you get Kontakt, you can get a good free piano, and tons of other free stuff. Check out HERE and HERE.

During the Christmas Wish List, you can upgrade the Spitfire Woodwinds to Pro for $120.
If memory serves, you could also get the rest of the Spitfire Studio core series for around $220.

FYI, if you feel the need to get quality libraries without waiting for sales, you will need to go over your budget:

Cinematic Studio Strings $399
Cinematic Studio Brass $279 (discount for owning CSS)
Spitfire Studio Woodwinds Core $200

That's already $878 without a percussion or piano library. If you get Kontakt, you can get a good free piano, and tons of other free stuff. Check out HERE and HERE.

During the Christmas Wish List, you can upgrade the Spitfire Woodwinds to Pro for $120.
If memory serves, you could also get the rest of the Spitfire Studio core series for around $220.
Get Spitfire Studio Strings and you'll save a bit.

Hi in ref to Alexander's post 'sonatina symphonic orchestra' here's a couple of links to my mock ups using the sonatina. It was done 8 years ago all by ear, I prefer a real orchestra cos im quite lousy at computer music.

The Godfather 2
Jaws 'montage'

Hello,

I'm starting my journey with orchestral arrangements and I would like to buy my first orchestral VST. I read your opinions, went through a "basic guide" and I still have some doubts. This is my first attempt to this topic, so I'd like to spend no more than 1000€ for this. So first - I am interested in creating "pure" symphonic music (at least for first months, to learn how to do it good).

I thought about NI Symphony Series (full version), but I see, that - in general - people don't have a good opinion about it (especially woodwinds). One of things that I'm interested in is an access to each instrument section (this is not a "must have", but it would be good to have this possibility).

Albion series from Spitfire Audio sounds great, but it is 5 packs, 450€ each, so that exceeds my budget.

Berlin Orchestra Inspire - I don't have an opinion about that one. Is one mic position a big problem?

questions:

1. What type of music are you wanting to write, give some examples .

2. How knowledgeable are you about, music theory and orchestration .

3. can you read and write music

4. what is your DAW of choice and what OS

best

ed

I personally would pass on this one, for the opinions you've seen here and elsewhere...

I don't have any of the Albion series but like @robgb said, for that budget I would go for a library that has more articulations with separate instruments.

Strings are FAR from rough, you need to read the manual and control velocity layers and vibrato with CC11 and CC1 respectively. Once you learn how it works, it can sound pretty awesome!

Again, combined orchestra patches. Quite expensive for what it is in my honest opinion.

No opinion, also don't have it.

If I had to invest that budget, I'd try to get libraries that have individual patches for each instrument. Also, you'll have to get Kontakt Full if you want to have full control on your instruments.

@TigerTheFrog said it above but if you decide to go the Cinematic Studio route then get CSS first as a one off purchase and not everything at once. You will then be entitled to the loyalty discount if you get CSB. And I dare say there’ll be loyalty discounts if CSW is released.

One more heads up on VSL options check the details on what happens with lost or damaged dongles and replacing your library. Search VI-C for threads on the topic. Just so your eyes are fully open before making a decision.

Lots of good advice in this thread.

Last edited:
Anyone dipping their toes into making orchestral mockups these days, on a section-by-section basis,
would be a fool not to look at Alex Wallbank's Cinematic Studio series.
Top notch quality control and extremely generous loyalty discounts foster a strong and happy customer base.

CSS / CSB / Woodwinds of your choice

Its a pity that you missed the great deal on Spitfire Studio Orchestra - it would have been the perfect package for you.
I think CSS/CSB/Woodwinds of choice is a good option for the $1000 orchestra, and it's one I've suggested to others as an alternative to SStO Pro. Another that I might think about at around $1000 is SF BHCT and Studio Orchestra Core. I do think there is a value to using an ensemble library as a base and individual sections for detail, especially when first learning to work with samples.

Hello,

Hi, lutzek. I was looking very much for the same thing when I started looking into VIs a year ago. The challenge with this is that so many orchestral libraries are not geared towards traditional symphonic music, but film scoring, trailers, pop music, etc. In particular, a lot of the playing in the more popular genres is much simpler, requiring relatively few articulations and depth in the VI. If all you are looking for is some samples that do a good job sounding a particular way, there are potentially scores of libraries to consider. In particular, if your wants are some nice-sounding swells and staccato ostinato notes or similar, you'll find tons that will do the trick. But, if you want a more traditional expression, most of these libraries are not well suited.

In particular, I've found the following unsuitable for classical music:
  • EastWest Symphonic and Hollywood Orchestras/Choirs
  • Symphobia series
  • Cinema Studio Strings and CSSS
  • Sonuscore The Orchestra
  • Sonokinetic products
  • Most other products
On the other hand, the VIs that seem, in my humble opinion, to work best for classical are:
  • VSL
  • Orchestral Tools (but not the Arks -- although their choirs are very nice)
  • Iconica (so far; still getting a feel for it)
I suspect some Spitfire libraries would be another good option, but for "reasons" I haven't gone that route so I can't say first hand.

If you went the VSL path (which is my favorite), I would recommend VI Pro, a MIRx venue, and SE Bundle Vol 1 (you may want Vol 2 for ensembles and rarities, but you likely won't need the Plus articulations). Best Service is a great place to get these and you should do the upgrade stepped purchase. VSL takes a little practice, but is incredibly good at handling some traditional playing styles.

Orchestral Tools Inspire is a nice library to start, although the sound isn't on par with the larger kits from OT. I don't mind the single microphone. You will likely mostly miss the individual instruments, but you could potentially pick up Berlin Strings or whatever you'd prefer using the 150€ off from the Inspire. The out of the box sound of OT is very nice and the playability is usually pretty good.

Iconica is new, but you could get the whole enchilada within your budget. I like the sound, but it is much improved with a good reverb. The playability is reasonably good, although it's a resource hog. Most people haven't given a lot of love towards Iconica yet, but I think that's because the out of the box sound (like VSL) is too dry for most folk's taste.

Obviously these are just opinions, but I think it is undeniably true that most libraries out there aren't geared towards traditional music, partly because there's not much career there for most folks. Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it and have fun creating music!

Last edited:
It's already been said but I want to reinforce this idea: Never ever ever pay full price for an instrument (or other plugin). You can get most things for 50-90% off if you're patient.

Steinberg’s Iconica Sections & Players has been mentioned already a couple of times here. It was made in partnership with orchestral tools, so it comes from good parentage. However, there are a couple of things that push it up the list in my opinion as a great value entry point for someone just starting out.

1). There is a 30 day trial available.
2). Unlike virtually everything else you can sell it if you decide this hobby is not for you.
3). All the sections levels are balanced to each other. This is a biggie when you are just starting - getting the relative levels balanced takes experience and makes your work sound much more realistic.
4) if you use Cubase the Expression Maps are self generating (articulation management).
5) Sounds great right out of the box.

However, it does require the use of a dongle (elicneser) which some people have a pathological hatred of.

The other good thing is that Steinberg is having a 30th anniversary sale. Currently Iconica Ensembles is on sale for 30% off (ends today) Now this is not the product you are needing as it is, as it’s name suggests, only ensembles, but it is expected that Iconica Sections and Players will go on the same offer this month, which would bring it in at around £400 or so (depending on where you are) which would be insane value.

You can pick up an Elicenser for a s little as £16.00, so if I were you I’d be getting that trial downloaded (150gb !!!)

Otherwise I’d be going with East West composer cloud until Black Friday....

Top Bottom