What's new

Xkey 25/37 Velocity Curve

coprhead6

Hey y’all.

Does anyone have an Xkey? I just got one but the velocity is a bit wonky for orchestral stuff. It’s incredibly difficult to play anything softly and way too easy to blow out my ears. Has anyone figured out a good custom velocity curve?

Love the X-Keys, I’ve never felt playability that good out of something that portable. But I’d temper my expectations, if you’re comparing it to any relatively good larger keyboard’s action. The best luck I’ve had with it has been PianoTeq - not only adjusting the velocity curve, but also tailoring the various parameters to feel good specifically with the X-Key.

Edit: fixed typos etc

I use the Xkey37 every day at the moment (I'm mid move) and have managed to retrain my fingers to work around the limitations of the velocity response. I created a custom velocity curve that suited my ham fisted piano style.

the first couple of weeks with the Xkey were not fun but having stuck at it I find the keyboard quite nice to play now.

good luck
Dave

Thanks to the both of you! I shall continue my Xkey training :)

I created a custom velocity curve that suited my ham fisted piano style.

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of that velocity curve? I might also describe my technique as ham-fisted!

Also, do you find that you can’t have the Xkey Editor and an instrument open? If I open either program, the other thinks the keyboard is disconnected...

Thanks to the both of you! I shall continue my Xkey training :)

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of that velocity curve? I might also describe my technique as ham-fisted!

Also, do you find that you can’t have the Xkey Editor and an instrument open? If I open either program, the other thinks the keyboard is disconnected...

Hi - I'm using this:

xkey curve.png

It kind of looks like a classic 'compressor' curve...

Which brings me onto another point: if you are using Logic Pro then the velocity midi insert effect can be useful to tame the sometimes wild dynamics of the XKey ... I'm sure other DAWs have equivalent midi effects.

As for your other point - personally I don't normally have the XKey editor open; I just set my curve once and then shut the editor down.

All said and done, the velocity response of the XKey will always be less than great. But, in my case I learned to workaround the shortcomings of the device. It will never be my first choice for midi input but IMHO it is a great mobile solution.

HTH,

Dave

Top Bottom