What's new

I've Bought My SECOND TO LAST String Library

What. That's a really good pricepoint damnit. I had my sights set on CSS and CSSS. How am I supposed to choose now?
Shiirai--
I've read a couple of posts about the limited variety of shorts in SStS, so you might want to factor that into your decision, and maybe do a bit of searching through past posts. My impression is that SStS is more about a variety of color and texture, CSS is more about phrasing and shaping performance. I don't yet own SStS but might pick it up at some point for extra colors.

Shiirai--
I've read a couple of posts about the limited variety of shorts in SStS, so you might want to factor that into your decision, and maybe do a bit of searching through past posts. My impression is that SStS is more about a variety of color and texture, CSS is more about phrasing and shaping performance. I don't yet own SStS but might pick it up at some point for extra colors.

IMO, it's much more than a library for colour and texture (unlike Studio Brass). It can easily be a main string library, as long as the composer likes the dry sound. The more I dive into it, the more I'm impressed. I was not expecting this great of a library for $149 (Wishlist price). And even though it's dry, good reverb settings open up a whole new dimension.

I have several string libraries. This is simply the last and instantly my go-to.

Yep, I guess you've found what you were looking for. I know that feeling for other kind of libraries, for strings I'm not entirely there yet, but I think I could get there soon too

And then LASS 3 with (possibly) amazing close mic'ed greatness comes along and you'll get WEAAKKK!!! :D

That's exactly the one I'm waiting for. I only own the first chairs (LASS 2.5) and I'm pretty happy with them. Now waiting for LASS 3 to come out and see how an upgrade to the full version may work.

We all want to believe that the last library (of any instrument), is going to be the last...but we are all kidding ourselves here.. LOL. The main reason to buy libraries that are different, is for choices. Not every piece is going to sound good with only one sounding library...this also allows you to play to the strengths of the library, by choosing the correct one for the job.

I will eventually pick up the Studio Strings also...has a nice bite and intimate sound, plus I like the divisi. I have Chamber and solo strings already, so will be a very nice complement.

I was mainly after Studio Brass and Woodwinds (as I have CS2) but got Strings as well as they were half price in the sale with collection discount. Really glad I did as I absolutely love them. They are very different from CS2 - detailed and intimate as opposed to CS2’s lovely glossy soundtrack type sound. Very pleased to have both as they compliment each other very nicely.

We all want to believe that the last library (of any instrument), is going to be the last...but we are all kidding ourselves here.. LOL. The main reason to buy libraries that are different, is for choices. Not every piece is going to sound good with only one sounding library...this also allows you to play to the strengths of the library, by choosing the correct one for the job.

I will eventually pick up the Studio Strings also...has a nice bite and intimate sound, plus I like the divisi. I have Chamber and solo strings already, so will be a very nice complement.
My last string library will be AFFLATUS with First chairs.........i hope...

I din't "need" strings but I'm slightly regretting not getting the Studio Pro bundle. I like the smaller string sections.

I settled for just the brass & winds. Ehh well.

For me it was a toss up between SF Studio Strings or Chamber... at first I was a little concerned that if I just used the Close mic on SCS it would not be dry enough and I would still get too much of the hall. Ultimately I ended up going with SCS as it is so comprehensive and the hall really does sound incredible. Also it gets plenty dry for my tase when I need that - it is expensive though, even on sale.

I just picked up OA Chamber Evolutions and it goes beautifully with SCS and LCO, so for that size ensemble I think I'm covered... for now.

For my part, I expect to have LASS 3 and only after, I'll see if Spitfire or other can bring something more (I already have 8 other strings libraries including LASS 2.5 Full)

LASS has always interested me, as I've heard terrific mockups using that lib. I do have EWHD, Action, Session Pro, EVOs, Hein, SOO much for strings though lol!

I remain mostly interested in SStS Pro for now. Too bad I didn't save enough from my latest (tiny) commission to grab it during the WL sale. I can't recall whether Spitfire does another WL sale toward the end of the year? Anyone, please?

LASS has always interested me, as I've heard terrific mockups using that lib. I do have EWHD, Action, Session Pro, EVOs, Hein, SOO much for strings though lol!

I remain mostly interested in SStS Pro for now. Too bad I didn't save enough from my latest (tiny) commission to grab it during the WL sale. I can't recall whether Spitfire does another WL sale toward the end of the year? Anyone, please?
Usually there is a Christmas Wishlist sale.

What I'm finding so wonderful about this library—besides the massive articulations and close, dryish sound—is the consistency between articulations. With some libraries I've found that when I switch articulations it's clear that another set of samples is being played. With SFSS, however, the switching is seamless. The consistency of tone, volume, etc., is pretty much perfect.

I will buy again on the assumption that the things that are missing will eventually be sampled and released. There is nowhere near enough subtlety yet and variety of articulations, more dynamics and some techniques are frustratingly absent. There is a lot that can be done mind, but it's not over yet for me.

Top Bottom