What's new

Help me buy a new EP!

What do you want in a new one? That's a pretty fair selection already and covers a pretty good number of bases. Do you want one that's lightweight (eg Pianoteq as mentioned - no samples, very playable), been sampled up the wazoo (Canterbury, Scarbee EPs88) or been modded in all sorts of ways (EP73 Deconstructed)?

What do you want in a new one? That's a pretty fair selection already and covers a pretty good number of bases. Do you want one that's lightweight (eg Pianoteq as mentioned - no samples, very playable), been sampled up the wazoo (Canterbury, Scarbee EPs88) or been modded in all sorts of ways (EP73 Deconstructed)?

I rarely touch the nsk and the old scarbees, so keyscape is really the only one I can use. I guess I'm looking for a rhode with more detail and realism.

Check out Gospel musician's Neo Soul bundle. It sounds great! (I don't have it but feel pretty tempted
watching the videos)
(broken link removed)

Canterbury from your list. A joy to play.

Haha. We had a short dialogue in your noire yt comment section. I'm 'd asd'. Send me a pm with your email if you want some presets for your vsl. I gathered over a dozen presets from other people, and some of it, I prefer vastly to the defaults.

Edit: I am not a creep. I recognized you from gearslutz.

Last edited:
Haha. We had a short dialogue in your noire yt comment section. I'm 'd asd'. Send me a pm with your email if you want some presets for your vsl. I gathered over a dozen presets from other people, and some of it, I prefer vastly to the defaults.

Edit: I am not a creep. I recognized you from gearslutz.
Cool man I’ll send you a pm.

With Rhodes, it helps to be specific. Are you looking for an early Herbie Hancock MK 1 suitcase sound (with the felt hammers or without)? A more mid-period MK II like so many 70’s-early 80’s records? A genuine Dyno-My-Piano mod? With Keyscape, you have the LA Eddy Reynolds mod sound on all the cool LA studio songs handled.

So the question is, what do you find yourself lacking? Help point us in the right direction and I’ll bet someone can help.

I'm talking about the old ones that were released a looong time ago. Haven't tried the new ep88.

Scarbee KGB. To me that's a perfect sample library - although of course there are other great libraries with different Rhodes and electric piano variations.

I just spent a lot of time updating Halion to work on my new Windows machine (only ten years old :) ) only for this library (and Scarbee Imperial Drums when I get around to it). Unfortunately the effects are 32-bit and won't run, but the library is that good.

Last edited:
With Rhodes, it helps to be specific. Are you looking for an early Herbie Hancock MK 1 suitcase sound (with the felt hammers or without)? A more mid-period MK II like so many 70’s-early 80’s records? A genuine Dyno-My-Piano mod? With Keyscape, you have the LA Eddy Reynolds mod sound on all the cool LA studio songs handled.

So the question is, what do you find yourself lacking? Help point us in the right direction and I’ll bet someone can help.

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the rhodes history. I'm a tenor sax player... Early HH sound isn't what I'm looking for. I want more weight and rawness in the tone. So I'm leaning more towards the canterbury and v tines, judging by the demos.

I've assigned everything else to the dustbin after buying both Scarbee EP-88, and SC Canterbury, each of which has separate strengths (I can't quite match one to the other; at least across their entire range of sounds).

On a budget, Purgatory Creek is about your best bet. PSound Vintage Electric is also quite good, and I may be able to offer mine up (haven't checked yet; it might go by Best Service rules). But for me it is now redundant, as are the half dozen or so other top-tier ones that I sold recently.

Believe it or not, another choice worth considering, at least to augment a more standard choice, is the Dream Machine expansion for EZKeys, which layers a contemporary Rhodes Mark 7 with a Celesta!

Top Bottom