What's new

I've Bought My SECOND TO LAST String Library

robgb

Genius. Idiot. You Decide.
Spitfire's Studio Strings. I have been critical of Spitfire in the past, about their prices and about their reliance on the hype of Air Lyndhurst and about my disappointment with Albion One. Well, they have really knocked it out of the park with Studio Strings, and since I got it for $100 off, I have to say it's the best value string library I own. It's still a fantastic value at its regular price.

It's very close to dry—which I prefer—and the recordings and scripting are phenomenal. Also, the list of articulations is longer than most string libraries at this price point, and probably at much higher price points.

I honestly can't see the need to buy another string library.

EDIT: Okay, I was young when I wrote this. Sometimes there are deals you simply can't pass up.

Last edited:
I enjoy it thoroughly, though it does have some pretty significant tuning issues here and there. But it has a great sound and you are correct, a huge number of articulations.

EDIT - my bad, I read this as chamber strings.

Last edited:
I'm tossing up between Light and Sound Samples Chamber Strings (for the extra microphones positions) or Spitfire Studio Strings Core (for the articulations).

Last edited:
Just bought this lib as well, I'm so happy with it. It sounds really good out of the box (I'm adding a touch of ValVintage reverb), legato seems pretty good, and it's very playable. Definitely cannot go wrong for $150.

Hi @Sean so you have Valhalla room as well ? Do you favor vintageverb over room for these strings, would be interested in which settings you are using ? I’m considering getting vintageverb, I just picked up spitfire studio strings as well. Thanks

Hi @Sean so you have Valhalla room as well ? Do you favor vintageverb over room for these strings, would be interested in which settings you are using ? I’m considering getting vintageverb, I just picked up spitfire studio strings as well. Thanks
No I don't have Room, but you can always demo vintage. I demo'd room a while ago and liked Vintage a bit better so ended up getting that. I honestly don't know much about the technical side of reverb, I usually just find a preset I like and tweak from there.

What. That's a really good pricepoint damnit. I had my sights set on CSS and CSSS. How am I supposed to choose now?

Hmmm.. Never really considered those, don't really know why. Like Shiirai i'd considered just getting CSS at some point if on sale (though not in a near future), but the price is a lot better for these, so i might just get them at the next wishlist sale!

And i am/my wallet is pretty happy that it is not in the near future haha.

I don't think this could be my only one string library to go, maybe the articulations are great but definitely not my sound.

On the other hand I can imagine just having one string library as I use mainly only one too, but that depends on the type(s) of music you write

Spitfire's Studio Strings. I have been critical of Spitfire in the past, about their prices and about their reliance on the hype of Air Lyndhurst and about my disappointment with Albion One. Well, they have really knocked it out of the park with Studio Strings, and since I got it for $100 off, I have to say it's the best value string library I own. It's still a fantastic value at its regular price.

It's very close to dry—which I prefer—and the recordings and scripting are phenomenal. Also, the list of articulations is longer than most string libraries at this price point, and probably at much higher price points.

I honestly can't see the need to buy another string library.

If only I could believe that... ;)

I feel kind of bummed...I didn't realize how good the Studio Strings were, being more interested in the other two libraries for a commission I'm working on. Now that I've seen the walkthroughs I'm kicking myself for missing it.

I have a ton of string libs and will probably buy more. Each one I have has something distinctive about it that works somewhere in my music (all except Session Strings Pro, which just doesn't seem to do anything but sit in Kontakt as if waiting to be deleted).

I have a ton of string libs and will probably buy more. Each one I have has something distinctive about it that works somewhere in my music (all except Session Strings Pro, which just doesn't seem to do anything but sit in Kontakt as if waiting to be deleted).

Hell no, send it to me!

If only I could believe that... ;)

I feel kind of bummed...I didn't realize how good the Studio Strings were, being more interested in the other two libraries for a commission I'm working on. Now that I've seen the walkthroughs I'm kicking myself for missing it.

You must not have Aria London Strings. I kinda like the sound, but it's virtually unplayable and I can't for the life of me fit it in with instruments other than themselves.

Then again, I also have Session Strings and those don't even work in a solo setting so I guess that's worse.

On the other hand I can imagine just having one string library as I use mainly only one too, but that depends on the type(s) of music you write
I have several string libraries. This is simply the last and instantly my go-to.

Top Bottom