What's new

Remorse, an exercise in synth programming

DivingInSpace

Hi guys,

I have over the last couple of days been working on a Hybrid track, focussing in programming as many of the patches as possible from INIT. As far as i remember, the only synth patch that came from a preset is the deep pulse (from Zebra HZ), all the other synths, pulses, effects, drums etc. has been done from the ground.

I've used mainly Serum, but also Zebra 2, a little OT Time Macro and Some Spitfire Labs scary strings.

I'd love to know what you think (especially of the synth programming)

Quite decent. The work well together; nice layering. Your version of the braaaam is a bit loud (IMO), but can be effective in the right context.

Quite decent. The work well together; nice layering. Your version of the braaaam is a bit loud (IMO), but can be effective in the right context.
Thanks for the kind words, you might be right in the Braams/bass growl being a bit loud yeah.

Love these synth/design sessions; your results are awesome! That braams is perfectly crunchy and glidey.

If you're up for a little experiment...

Next time you're in there messing around with that braams, try putting a FILTER, SHAPER, and REV over the master. Like this:

DAGvRFH

From there, switch the mode to WEDGE, and play with the DEPTH, EDGE, etc. And make it so that you can control them with a mod wheel.

0QYmoVH

Also add mod wheel control over the cutoff on whichever filter you use.

After all that—next time you're repeating these BRAAMS—you'll be able to start those Braams at a very low grumble, and have them grow over time the more you raise the mod wheel.

It'll be an interesting experiment to see how the sound evolves and grows in power throughout a track!

Love these synth/design sessions; your results are awesome! That braams is perfectly crunchy and glidey.

If you're up for a little experiment...

Next time you're in there messing around with that braams, try putting a FILTER, SHAPER, and REV over the master. Like this:

DAGvRFH

From there, switch the mode to WEDGE, and play with the DEPTH, EDGE, etc. And make it so that you can control them with a mod wheel.

0QYmoVH

Also add mod wheel control over the cutoff on whichever filter you use.

After all that—next time you're repeating these BRAAMS—you'll be able to start those Braams at a very low grumble, and have them grow over time the more you raise the mod wheel.

It'll be an interesting experiment to see how the sound evolves and grows in power throughout a track!

Thanks a lot, i am glad that you like it, as i am still pretty new to cinematic synth designing it is nice to hear!

The braams/growl in this has been made in serum as it for a long time have been the synth i've felt most comfortable using, but i am slowly learning to get out my ideas in Zebra and already feel like pads and drums are easier to make and get a much more organic sound from in Zebra, so next move will definitely be to try doing some braams in there and try out your advice! Thanks a lot, i will definitely try it out, as it really could use some dynamic changes.

Top Bottom