What's new

Mark Northam: 20 Reasons Composers Fail

Doesn't even take a few minutes of digging. He posted his story recently on a popular FB group. Don't want to repost here because it contains personal info and personal email but if anyone wants the full book from above he posted a link to it:

https://nlaw.com.au/downloads/20-re...9tYXSvK1xF2uDum0777-7QQlotdvDSW7dhOX7PaFsu7b4
Thanks for allowing me to fill in the blanks. It's always disheartening to see one of my fellow brother composer who hit town around the same time I did fall away. But, it looks like he landed in a good place. I wish him his continued success.

Ensure that your skills, knowledge and equipment are at a level above your present situation.

No I think he means to visualize your success, and also prepare emotionally for it as well.

Just like lottery winners often blow their money and find themselves back to where they were before, it's important to adapt to the good things that come your way and not let it destroy you or those around you. Harder said than done. We seem to take rejection and failure more easily in stride than success.

It's hard emotionally to deal with success. It's like a high that always comes with a very nasty hangover if you don't handle it right.

Excellent. Let me collaborate with you to get myself up to par.

I wasn't being snide. I genuinely mean it. I've been able to take chance opportunities in lots of different areas because I was prepared for it - purely on faith and often at great expense. I've failed badly in lots when I wasn't.

I started reading it yesterday, and I have to admit that despite of my very sceptic first impressions, this hammer actually hits the nail more than once- the guy does have a point on many things.

Top Bottom