What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass (MSB)

I am happy to see that MSB has an alto trombone. This is missing from many brass libraries (of course VSL has it).

Looking forward to redoing a mock-up of the 4th movement of Schumann’s Rhenish symphony using MSB. The brass section is prominent and calls for an alto trombone. A complete MSB section should work well here.

Will LASS3 be newly recorded instruments or it will be just an update to old v2 library?

I don't think anyone knows at this point. I'd love to see the original samples ported over to the new player, plus some newly recorded articulations. LASS is already so strong, I don't think a totally fresh start would be necessary. It just needs some more content.

I don't think anyone knows at this point. I'd love to see the original samples ported over to the new player, plus some newly recorded articulations. LASS is already so strong, I don't think a totally fresh start would be necessary. It just needs some more content.
I think it was stated somewhere by Andrew from Audiobro that it will have the old samples ported to the new engine with some new recordings as well.

And the GUI, wow. Only one question remains...Where is my freaking woodwind library Audiobro? Woodwinds with this concept will be the biggest bomb ever in the sample library market...
Exactly! And what about Hardart? and Oscar Mayer Weiner Whistle? (yes, I had to sing the song to myself to spell 'Mayer' correctly). But, yeah. woodwinds in the LASS/MSB format would be killer.

I am happy to see that MSB has an alto trombone. This is missing from many brass libraries (of course VSL has it).
This is one of the things I am most looking forward to... all the additional instruments beyond the usual Bb trumpets/horns/bones/tubas.

I love how OT in Ark 2 gave us so many alternative brass instruments, and all with legatos. It's one of my favourites currently because there is such a rich variety of brass sounds in that library. With MSB, having some solo versions of these less recorded instruments (if they are recorded well), would be awesome. They haven't demonstrated them yet, I'm very keen to hear them.

My impression of the sound of MSB is that it is stunning. Really perfect and true to the sound of brass sections recorded in place. Add auto divisi and A.R.T to that and color me sold. Well done, Audiobro! Modern Scoring Brass was worth waiting for.

if i'm not mistaken, Audiobro previously did mention there'll be some new contents right ?

The trumpet examples sound like something straight out of Apollo 13, very similar to Timothy Morrison's rich tone. Nothing thin about it, at least not to my ears. Don't mistake the overprocessed brass sound that plagues virtual instruments with what a real ensemble sounds like. I presume you can dial whatever tone you prefer, from crappy to happy, with the 5 mics mixes and adjustable stage.

And judging by the quick glimpse of the GUI, MSB looks like a programmer's dream. Think "Sample Modeling for dummies" level of control. I think this is going to turn out to be a very versatile library if you don't expect it to do all the heavy lifting for you. :)

My impression of the sound of MSB is that it is stunning. Really perfect and true to the sound of brass sections recorded in place. Add auto divisi and A.R.T to that and color me sold. Well done, Audiobro! Modern Scoring Brass was worth waiting for.

Had a chance to listen and watch the walkthrough again today after a good night's rest and awesome coffee...
I have to say that my previous comment on MSB yesterday was a bit premature.
The individual instrument patches actually sounded great on their own.
I still think the demos themselves sounded thin as a whole (not just MSB).
Perhaps they deserve better mixing/mastering treatments?
Paying more attention to the limited walkthrough, this library offers more options and flexibility than my other major brass libs.
This thing is loaded with smart patches and articulations - real variable attack control, awesome auto divisi engine, synced trills and crescendos, polyphonic legato, assignable repeat keys, auto rhythm tool, just to name a few.

I'll be $599 poorer come Tuesday. Dang it. :shocked:

Fair enough, I didn't take into consideration things like microphone mixes and the brilliant script behind all Audiobro libraries. I should know better, I use LASS all the time.

I'm one of AudioBro's most vocal supporters and when MSB was announced I couldn't contain my excitement. The demos were just a bit disappointing, not to the detriment of the composers, it's a classic case of high expectations leading to disappointment.

I also got really used to CSB during those months of waiting, so there is that. My impressions were premature and unfair to AudioBro, I will wait for more examples, user demos, and other helpful resources to finally make an informed decision.

I don't know, but a few of you seem to remember that. Encouraging if so. I think that's the right direction.

It was a post at the Audiobro forums by Andrew on August 31, 2017 :

We will be announcing a new product very very soon (it's in beta... and not strings) and it will reveal a lot about Audiobro's future direction insofar as approach to patches and standardization of many things. It will feature a new engine (still Kontakt but with 100% new and better scripts and a completely new re-design with new features and improved algorithms). I bring this up because future updates of LASS will be based on this new and highly intuitive and powerful engine. And not only will it have the new functionally of the new engine, but it will have new sample content etc.

We've been working very hard on this because we needed an engine that could satisfy any type of orchestral library we threw at it without redesigning and re-programming it.

Thanks for your patience and I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andrew K
audiobro

New samples confirmed. :thumbsup:

Adding up from the Kontakt instances shown in the video.... MSB can apparently load 4 Trumpets, 8 Horns, 4 Tenor + 2 Bass Trombones, and 2 Tubas in 8.28 GB of RAM. That's really not bad at all! That is just the main articulations (no mutes) and presumably a single mic position.

... I think the lack of sampled ensembles will be a big problem...
A very nagging problem for me (and I assume others) is creating chords with the same exact instrument. That’s a realism killer. So you end up stacking an identical instrument on itself or blending libraries that are too disparate sounding which perfectly inverts the problem. So, a headache in either case (more time, more work.) Not to mention finally having far more instrument choices if something just doesn’t sit right (say, between two bones: you now have two more to chose from.) All this in the context of the same library, same interface, controllers etc. MSB (theoretically) is an enhancing of the mock-up process on several planes - a very welcome development.

What’s obvious to me, is that someone who does mockups and understands these basic recurring needs created the library to meet them and did an excellent job of it. The fact that the sound of the library is what people are deciding on, shows how well they have addressed all other important aspects. As far as layered instruments, those tend to sound better because of the nature of that captured sound. There are good ensembles out there but nothing like this multi instrument collection which is where there is quite a lack.

The new developments such as the variable attack on sustains is another step toward realism, variety and the relief of the dreaded sameness in sample use. Multiple sample availability has been a holy grail for sometime, hence the advent of Round Robbin. Multi-instrument an even better option.

I’m sure you’re not against all the above but would prefer the addition of ensembles which is always a plus I agree. Seeing this answer to a fundamental problem in sample libraries since their inception is just too positive for me to see MSB as lacking in some fundamental way.

Last edited:
Pardon my lack of knowledge....i thought it's more commonly used for strings where as in brass, mostly called mute instead of con sordino right ?

I guess the preference of the word mute over con sordino is largely influenced by the various brass “mute” types in jazz.

In classical music scores, on the other hand, con sordino can equally be used for both brass and strings, and it indicates muting by means of an actual mute, not by hand.

I must admit this seems like a game changer! The first demo in particular sounds phenomenal in my opinion.

What will the full price be, as im very tempted to get this even though i cant afford it!

Top Bottom