What's new

If you had to choose 3 synths amongst these.

Prophet 12 / Prophet 6 / and a Moog of course. Model D (reissue) or.... I'd go for a Moog One and call it a day.

Just a couple thoughts. If this is your first hardware synth, perhaps you don't want to spend that much until you decide that you like the hardware experience. Therefore let me suggest possibly something requiring a smaller investment like the Deepmind 12D or possibly even the ModelD clone.

Getting something like the D50 or any other vintage unit, while potentially being really cool also has its downsides, one of them being that you might be buying into someone else's problem or just a problem in general in dealing with a 31 year old instrument. Some of these may be in need of a new backlight, or they may need to have the battery replaced, etc. This may or may not be something that you may want to deal with.

The MS20 reissue is also a nice option but be warned that it's also a gateway drug to wanting to explore modular.

If you do have the budget for it, then carry on!

Have Reaktor 6 and will search User Library.
Does anyone have any strong synth favs for Reaktor ?

Hmmmm …… u-he _Hive Update 1.2 just announced, nd special pricing. :thumbsup:

(edit)
??? Admiral Quality Poly-Ana Synth …. any luv here ??

https://www.admiralquality.com/product/poly-ana/

I sometimes find stuff just by sorting the list by ‘most downloaded’ as that’s a good indicator of a hit ensemble.

Prophet 6 or Ob6 without a doubt. Youtube demos won't do it justice either, you have to play one yourself. Few things in life match the bone chilling glory of playing an analog poly with modern features imo :D

1. Moog Model D (Re-Issue Model)
2. DSI OB6
3. DSI Prophet 8 Or even better (REV 2 Desktop 8 voice model will be less $) ;)

Last edited:
I'd say Korg MS-20, the Model D (or the Behringer version, sounds very similar for $300), then one of the Prophets.

That would give you a killer setup with some nice diversity.

I happen to have, and use, two of the synths on your list, and oddly those are the two of the one's I'd pick:
- Korg MS-20 - my first synth, and I still have it. Not quite as flexible as my Arp 2600, but you can make a LOT of sounds with it. If you don't want to pay the current prices consider the Korg plugin, it is pretty close.
- Oberheim Matrix - 6, 12, 1000, they are all cool, I have the 1000 now, I used to have the 6.

I also have TX7, but the main reason I still have it is I can't get much for it.

I've repaired a couple Oberheim synths, and I'd seriously consider adding one to my collection if I had the case, and the time, and the space.

And SCI Prophets... I really want a Prophet 5, but the Prophet 6 and 12 are pretty amazing. So that would be my third!

Thank you all for chiming in!! *I have a few ideas regarding softsynths as well : zebra, diva, serum, repro and omnisphere, Yes, loving U-he and Spectrasonics here!

For soft synths, I'd also consider Dune 2 (or the new 3). Massive synth, and massively underrated!

Here's a demo track with their World Of Cinematic expansion for 2. All sounds from Dune -

Last edited:
Honestly it totally depends on the style involved.

If you're excluding to use any of these for "real" pop/electronica/alternative...(put your style here) and stick to cinematic virtual instruments based styles, I'd maybe get those who have the best bottom end and overall richness. The prophets and the Ob's are definitely on that list.

If you like the idea of exploring into deep different styles, making records, putting all of yourself into a different sonic world, then it changes everything. Odissey has a fantastic 70's feel, the D-50 is so mid-late 80's and stuff like the polysix can be a nice flexible option. I would not get a DX7 (despite it being my first synth when I was very young) But, again, they make sense if your all into a style, not just for adding a couple sounds to an epic track (a task that the U-He softs, just to name one dev, carry almost perfectly to me).

So it's a matter of artistic profile. I would not fill a room with synths without a scope and an authentic interest for styles where they are kings.

With cheesey 80's digi synths like the D-50 and DX-7, you're not going to gain anything with the hardware versions. Plenty of VIs that replicate those sounds, and are easier to program. So I would definitely cross those off the list.

hmmm... pricetag pricetag price tag....

if its your 1st synths..... pricetag.

you can get the Behringer model D and deepmind and you will get extremely close to the $3k model D re-issue and an expensive roland juno. if you search online you will see how real synth heads compare apple to apples these synths and get so close you coudnt tell them apart in a blind shot out.

yep... you are not going to see junkieXL selling the idea that a Behringer model D sounds close to a real model D re-issue costing thousands more. why would anyone tune to his channel ? ;).

the deepmind 12 is like a roland juno synth. costing also much much less.

analog monosynth: Moog comparison:

Analog polysynth: Juno vs deep mind 12

SH-101 clone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NqaegXGbtE

so if you are looking at your 1st analog synth try those clones 1st. analog synths is decades old technology and those behringer clones are very good for the price and sound. it might not sound exactly the same or maybe sometimes but its about 98%. so whatch out with poeple trying to sell you ideas of what "good" instruments are. those 2 options i gave will save you thousands of dollars and you will get the same sound out of them.

as for poly synth... the deepmind12 i think is great but some of the VCO synths from dave smith might sounds more richer or a bit more warmer. never the less, the deep mind is very well liked.

so my closing argument is that if anyone is getting into hardware synth, id say dont go too deep so fast. there are plenty of composer and prodcuers making amazing profesional music with those synth and pro audio clones. and also dont forget how good DIVA and other softsynths are.

Last edited:
Dear all of you,

I spent time reading and researching about synths, asking friends, etc and I narrowed my selection down to these. They all have their strenghts but if you had to choose 3 out of this list, what would that be? (There's a few comments in french besides them, just my notes) Thank you!

Capture.JPG

I think totally depends on your programming knowledge. While most of those have patches to start from, knowing exactly how to achieve a sound with them is part of the experience. Are you going for these as investments, or purely for some synth sounds?

*I don't have any synths right now, I do mostly trailers and cinematic/film music.
Seems you're only searching among hardware options which would mostly be very expensive...So just in case you might want to have less expensive option I would recommend that you take a look at this one... bien que c'est virtuel, le son est trés organique et cinematique:thumbsup:

I think totally depends on your programming knowledge. While most of those have patches to start from, knowing exactly how to achieve a sound with them is part of the experience. Are you going for these as investments, or purely for some synth sounds?
*Both I guess, I'm learning as I go.

Top Bottom