What's new

Why is Spitfire's Vib on CC21?

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Just being curious at the minute but why is Spitfire's Vibrato set to CC21? I'm thinking about changing them all to CC2 which is what most other libraries are set to. Having this uniform across all libraries needs to happen (for me) as there's just too much stuff to remember.

Before I start saving all the patches, are there any obviously reasons why SA's libraries are on CC21? Would hate to plough a load of time into this and then have to revert them back.
Thanks

Jono

Several libraries (including some of mine) use CC20-31 for things like vibrato depth and rate. In the MIDI standard CC1 is usually assigned to modulation/vibrato (that's why it's called a mod-wheel). But since everyone uses that for dynamics these days most companies assign vibrato to those CCs that are designated as "Unassigned" in the MIDI standard.

CC2 = breath control btw

Several libraries (including some of mine) use CC20-31 for things like vibrato depth and rate. In the MIDI standard CC1 is usually assigned to modulation/vibrato (that's why it's called a mod-wheel). But since everyone uses that for dynamics these days most companies assign vibrato to those CCs that are designated as "Unassigned" in the MIDI standard.

CC2 = breath control btw

Yeah I know CC2 is breath but a lot of Devs do use CC2 for Vib. So I'm guessing there is nothing wrong with changing SA to CC2. I seem to remember having a problem trying to change CS2, CSS, CSSS to CC21 but am not in front of Kontakt to remember why I'm remembering that.

Yeah, I think it's for all of the reasons above, but also is likely due to the common confusion about WHICH vibrato element is being modulated by CC1, as there are often several that are granted user control (not always though; some have a baked-in rate but allow depth control, for example). So putting it in the CC20-30 range allows for an intuitive grouping of related controls on neighbouring CC addresses.

Yeah I know CC2 is breath but a lot of Devs do use CC2 for Vib. So I'm guessing there is nothing wrong with changing SA to CC2. I seem to remember having a problem trying to change CS2, CSS, CSSS to CC21 but am not in front of Kontakt to remember why I'm remembering that.

I went the other way and harmonized vibrato to cc21 in all my patches. In some instruments (like the Cinematic Studio stuff) some ccs are off-limits. You can get around this by using Logic's Modifier under Midi FX. Like so:
Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 21.55.47.png

EDIT: I guess this is what brenneisen suggested above. :)

I went the other way and harmonized vibrato to cc21 in all my patches. In some instruments (like the Cinematic Studio stuff) some ccs are off-limits. You can get around this by using Logic's Modifier under Midi FX. Like so:
Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 21.55.47.png

EDIT: I guess this is what brenneisen suggested above. :)
Yep, this. Or use the Midi script plugin to batch modify multiple CC's. Hopefully, Cubase has something similar for Luke!

Top Bottom