What's new

Is film music just another job?

eph221

I don't even like films so this is hard for me to answer. I think computer games are a ridiculous waste of time. Is the reason it's now so popular because it pays better than writing music for art's sake? Is that the reason it's so popular in academia (because it pays?) Sorry to be so cynical, but I don't see why musicians are flocking to these idioms. What are the reasons in order of importance?

Music can be a job, a hobby, a dream, a passion, any number of things. IMO whatever direction you take is in no way inferior or superior to someone else. If you're in it as a business, you try to make decisions that will make your business successful. If you're in it for a personal expression of art, you make decisions that will fulfill your dream. They're all good.

I agree with you about videogames, and find many films trite. But I often enjoy film music on its own. Listening to the music first before seeing the film.

What are the reasons in order of importance?
I don't think most successful media composers really despise the very medium they work for. Either they honestly care enough about the experience of the audience, or they have to lie and pretend to do so in order to get the job. Even then they still mainly have to work on something they do not see any value in.
I am sure there are professional composers with that viewpoint, but that just sounds like a recipe for misery to me.

I personally like films, tv shows and video games a lot, even though I don't find much time for them - escpecially for games. I honestly don't understand how someone can have enough time on their hands to really play the games that are being put out there. But I envy these people a bit, because I like the experience and enjoy the consumer side of things.
I actually wouldn't want to write concert music all day - it is fascinating once in a while, but I'd probably soon miss the form, collaboration and narrative of visual media.

Of course film and game music are "just" a job. But who says that you have to hate your job?

Every job is just another job.
A plumber, Wall Street banker, Pizza delivery service, President of the US, advocate or film composer.
All those serve a special purpose (except Trump.)

• A plumber makes you happy because your bathroom remains dry.
  • A Wall Street banker makes you happy because your share allows you to afford your dream holidays.
  • A pizza delivery service makes you happy because you can watch Netflix during dinner.
  • The president of the US won't make you happy.
  • An advocate will make you happy because he sends a letter to you client who is not willing to pay you.
  • A film composer makes you happy because he supports your emotions while watching Out Of Africa.

Music can be a job, a hobby, a dream, a passion, any number of things. IMO whatever direction you take is in no way inferior or superior to someone else. If you're in it as a business, you try to make decisions that will make your business successful. If you're in it for a personal expression of art, you make decisions that will fulfill your dream. They're all good.

I agree with you about videogames, and find many films trite. But I often enjoy film music on its own. Listening to the music first before seeing the film.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I completely agree with your attitude. In Portland we have a huge assortment of amazing musicians amateur as well as professional. In some cases I prefer hearing the amateur because they're more likely to take risks with the music. But... Please don't move here!

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I completely agree with your attitude. In Portland we have a huge assortment of amazing musicians amateur as well as professional. In some cases I prefer hearing the amateur because they're more likely to take risks with the music. But... Please don't move here!
We have some great film makers here as well, but I guess you're not in to that;)

Yes I know. Some great composers tootoo womyn composers which is fantastic. Unfortunately for me I think writing film music isnt in the cards.

No it's not a job, it's a gift to work with vibration for $$$ or not:

"According to the thinkers of the East, there are five different intoxications: of beauty, youth and strength; then the intoxication of wealth; the third is power, command, the power of ruling; and there is the fourth intoxication, which is the intoxication of learning, of knowledge. But all these four intoxications fade away just like stars before the sun in the presence of the intoxication of music. The reason is that it touches that deepest part of man’s being. Music reaches farther than any other impression from the external world can reach. And the beauty of music is that it is both the source of creation and the means of absorbing it. In other words, by music was the world created, and by music it is withdrawn again into the source which has created it."
Hazrat Inayat Khan (1882-1927) Founder of the Sufi Order in the West

Music Therapy: Nursing the Music of the Soul..."The forms of snowflakes and faces of flowers may take on their shape because they are responding to some sound in nature. Likewise, it is possible that crystals, plants, and human beings may be, in some way, music that has taken on visible form."

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".
-Aldous Huxley

That's an odd view.
Can't music be both art and commodity?
Of course. But sometimes there's a tendency for the community to differentiate between the two and the belief that creating for "art" is the more noble pursuit.

Media composers aren't hacks who would rather be writing concert music or highbrow concept albums.

Top Bottom