What's new

Synchron Strings

The Cantabile violins are definitely a step in the right direction, in my opinion.
Let's say it was all well worth the wait ;)

Congratulations VSL, I hope all other sections will follow

I've received the vsl newsletter yesterday, went to their homepage and listened to the Cantabile Violins. Well,....I 'm sorry, I've started out with VSL back in 2008, and their samples might be one reason, why I do what I do today, but those Cantabile demos sound absolutely out-dated, I agree. Like the strings on my e-piano from 1995. Am I missing something? I've waited for years that they come up with something beautiful, but the synchron strings series isn't quite it. I still use vsl instruments sometimes, but I think the competition is a big step further, now.

Any feedback regarding auto-divisi funtionality when using the Synchronized Dim-Strings ?

How does it work ? is there an auto-divisi function that's built into the Synchron Dim-Strings Player ?

As far as i can see there seems to be no auto divisi but have a look this is the first time using the player for a long time so not quite use to it yet

SDS.PNG

As far as i can see there seems to be no auto divisi but have a look this is the first time using the player for a long time so not quite use to it yet

If there is any type of Auto-Divisi functionality in the new Synchron Player, maybe someone who is very experienced with this player can delight us with some more info. if we are missing something here. What's the best way to use the Synchronized Dimensions-Strings if there is no Auto-Divisi type feature ? I feel it makes little sense not to have some Auto-Divisi for the Synchronized Dim-Strings.

I also do not find the new Cantabile Violins that impressive sounding, maybe a little step better in the way it handles legato, but the overall timbre is not very pleasing to my ears.

I've waited for years that they come up with something beautiful, but the synchron strings series isn't quite it. I still use vsl instruments sometimes, but I think the competition is a big step further, now.

I agree, and feel the same about VSL's Synchron line. It has not met my expectations. There are much better sounding options around today (for myself).

Last edited:
If there is any type of Auto-Divisi functionality in the new Synchron Player, maybe someone who is very experienced with this player can delight us with some more info. if we are missing something here.

VEpro is essential to divide up the players and there are so many options,

I am quite certain this transition was for the for the sound but more or less you will need to use them as you use them in the VI and VEpro together

but I think the competition is a big step further, now.

I think there are just a few people who think like you. Maybe on Vi-Control a bit more but for me your statement cant be more wrong.

Sounds a bit like a character assassination to me. I hope I am wrong :)

You have to invest quite a time to show/see the full potential of their Synchron products. If you didnt invest that time now. You should do it. Because this Product line has a lot to find out and you will be impressed what you can do with Synchron Libarys. I know no other libary which gives me this experience.

Last edited:
I agree, and feel the same about VSL's Synchron line. It has not met my expectations. There are much better sounding options around today.

I think there are different libarys with different sound which are better for a particular use. Depends what you want out of a libary. Or for what you need it.

But "MUCH" better sounding libarys..nah.

I think there are different libarys with different sound which are better for a particular use. Depends what you want out of a libary. Or for what you need it.

But "MUCH" better sounding libarys..nah.

I should have added 'For Myself' in my post above.

I'm guessing there are many VSL Synchron Strings I users who love the way they sound, and put them to good use, which is wonderful, but...unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

I've done the Synchron Strings update, but no time to work with it yet. Dimension Strings III was an instant buy, using my last remaining vouchers. I listened to the Synchron-ized versions and it didn't appeal to me as much so I'm not sure I'll do that cross-grade later on or during the April promotional. It sounds a bit less natural to me in terms of dynamics and timbre, but my quick read of the product announcements indicates there may be some extra content vs. standard Vienna Instruments versions.

those Cantabile demos sound absolutely out-dated, I agree. Like the strings on my e-piano from 1995. Am I missing something?

I have to agree with you and many others on this matter. The demos on their website are too often very poorly made, and the cantabile tracks are no exception. This is something I fail to understand, given how important they are. You don’t botch your demos, they will make or break a deal for newcomers...

That being said, they do not make the new patches justice. They are gorgeous and very playable.

VSL need to record actual sforzato articulations and rework their crescendo/diminuendo too. When they have, then the Synchron Strings will definitely be a thing, in my opinion.

You have to invest quite a time to show/see the full potential of their Synchron products. [...] Because this Product line has a lot to find out and you will be impressed what you can do with Synchron Libarys. I know no other libary which gives me this experience.

Maybe you are right. I have a LOT of VSL libraries including dimension strings/brass and think they are still awesome in terms of details and the number of articulations (e.g. compared to Cinematic Studio Strings). But nowadays I just prefer a slightly better playability and (in my case) a great sounding room. (Too often I've lost myself in hours/days, trying to create the perfect room with Vienna MIR).

That being said, they do not make the new patches justice. They are gorgeous and very playable.
If that's true, I might give them another look. Maybe the demos are deceiving indeed. But I have watched a few walk throughs on youtube and wasn't impressed at all. They just sound too synthetic in my ears. Although I think you can program the best library in the world in a way that it sounds crappy :)

If that's true, I might give them another look. Maybe the demos are deceiving indeed. But I have watched a few walk throughs on youtube and wasn't impressed at all. They just sound too synthetic in my ears. Although I think you can program the best library in the world in a way that it sounds crappy :)
I don't think the new patches are crappy, far from it. It's a stark contrast compared to the old ones, which IMO just shows how VSL got things wrong when they first released Synchron Strings. Surely this is audible to them too at this stage and I hope they realize the mistake they made here. The new cantabile legato patch has one serious flaw though. It only allows for slow tempo playing, anything from moderate to fast will be a problem. There should really be a "normal" and "fast" cantabile patch too. And there's no speed adaptation which you see in other libraries. The legato is also not as buttery smooth as can be, I wonder if they recorded bow change legato primarily instead of fingered legato, but it is acceptable overall.

The new cantabile legato patch has one serious flaw though. It only allows for slow tempo playing, anything from moderate to fast will be a problem.

But on the other hand, it can't be apples and oranges at the same time, right? The issue that seemingly everybody had with Synchron Strings is the lack of flowing, smooth legato with rich, emotive vibrato. The new patch does this kind of thing way better than any of the original ones. But for fast tempi, one of the old ones might do OK - perhaps the standard lyrical vibrato patch. If there's one good thing about the very short sounding transition samples and overly steeply edited attacks - it does make the patches quite nimble. I'll try to experiment with that later - using one of the old ones for stuff that breezes by and switch to the cantabile for every note that's supposed to stick around. Let's see how that goes.

I have to say from the brief demo i heard the Cantabile does sound great. I had a feeling VSL heard the noise, but they're quite busy there so it took longer than i expected to get anything done.

Also, those Dimension String III...just wow. They sound stunning. They're pricey for the limited articulation set but i don't think i can pass on it.

Side note, what Cantabile walkthroughs are people referring to when they say it doesn't sound good? I see none on YouTube

Just listened to the demos of the Cantabile violins....um it doesn't sound that wonderful.

That one by Herb Tucmandl is especially horrible (not the composition, i mean how the strings sound). 0.28-0.40...what the hell is that?

I'm seriously starting to question VSL's ability to recognise when something sounds realistic/believable.

Fundamentally, they need to go back to the drawing board as they are doing it wrong

I wouldn’t trust the demos by VSL, they are often deceptive, and I think it’s a shame.

The patch is very good on slow to moderate tempos, it does struggle a bit on faster ones. We’d need another one with shorter legato transitions, or a way to adjust them to taste, in my opinion.

We’d need another one with shorter legato transitions, or a way to adjust them to taste, in my opinion.

We need them to create a string library that is fit to be released in 2019 and is at least as good as the myriad of other products available from their competitors.

Top Bottom