What's new

Cinematic studio solo strings !!!

Played my first violin tracks using CSSS and pretty pleased but find the vibrato a little heavy in places (probably my fault), so was hoping to edit the vibrato in midi. But I can't find any midi data for vibrato (I'm using Logix Pro X.) Can someone perhaps point me to a tutorial? Thanks!
CC2 I believe

There's really very little editing, I believe. You can use CC2 to turn it on or off.

Its my only real problem with CSSS. The vibrato is pretty darn heavy.

Thanks, guys! Really appreciate the rapid replies.

BL - yeah, I checked CC2 but there's no midi data showing. So I tried writing it in (onto CC2) but it seems quite tricky and I don't know what range of settings would normally cover vibrato. For example, if I start it at a value of 45, there's no vib at all and the pitch starts changing too. So maybe there's more on CC2 than just vib. I might be able to stumble my way through it, but was thinking a tutorial on writing CC data for strings on Logic would be a better idea.

NYC - Thanks! It seems quite heavy to me, too, but I thought it was the way I'd played it. (Was using a touch ribbon.) Also assumed I'd be able to go in and edit it later but maybe not, huh? That'd be a drag. Might also be that my M-Audio interface is the problem - not transferring all the data. More research ahead!

Thanks, guys! Really appreciate the rapid replies.

BL - yeah, I checked CC2 but there's no midi data showing. So I tried writing it in (onto CC2) but it seems quite tricky and I don't know what range of settings would normally cover vibrato. For example, if I start it at a value of 45, there's no vib at all and the pitch starts changing too. So maybe there's more on CC2 than just vib. I might be able to stumble my way through it, but was thinking a tutorial on writing CC data for strings on Logic would be a better idea.

NYC - Thanks! It seems quite heavy to me, too, but I thought it was the way I'd played it. (Was using a touch ribbon.) Also assumed I'd be able to go in and edit it later but maybe not, huh? That'd be a drag. Might also be that my M-Audio interface is the problem - not transferring all the data. More research ahead!

Vibrato is on or off basically. Makes it unusable for me exposed. Blends perfectly with the Studio Strings though.

Its my only real problem with CSSS. The vibrato is pretty darn heavy.
That's probably EVERYONE's real problem with both CSS and CSSS here on this forum (and I'm not excluding myself) despite the comments floating everywhere praising the exceptional quality of both products or the Cinematic Series in general... (so let's hope @Alex W considers a soft vibrato layer in a future update/extension:whistling:)

That's not to say though that the heavy vibrato sounds bad by any means, but it just can quickly sound too much for the ear or too excessive for a composition you're writing.

There is a trick though which can help tame the excessive vibrato problem (credit to @Cory Pelizzari ) whereby you just limit yourself to using the lower/softest recorded dynamic where the vibrato naturally becomes more gentle, then you use just the volume to ride/emulate higher dynamics. Here's how it's done with Soaring Strings as an example in this video at around 6:45

I have both CSS and CSSS with no regrets. I agree the vibrato is pretty over the top but it's almost a signature of these libraries, but yes it's particularly noticeable in CSSS. I really do wish there was more range between the organ-like no vibrato and the soaring Hollywood sound.

I've found that if you work on the timing of the on/off vibrato CC as well as the dynamics you can get some really interesting transitions. On long notes that are fading out into the mix, I'll switch to no-vibrato to tie off a phrase or sometimes even between two phrases, I'll keep the note going and turn the vibrato off in between. I must try that trick with the softer dynamics, thanks @Batrawi and @Cory Pelizzari I have a habit of floating around the top dynamic layers, so will be cool to explore that if it helps to tame the vibrato.

Here's something of mine from a while ago that's predominantly CSSS with no vibrato, multiple legato melodies doing their thing, switching on/off occasionally. I really like a bed of multiple no-vibrato legato lines in CSSS, almost sounds like an organ.

It's worth mentioning the @NoamL Thanos script again for the issues with the legato delay, cause it's fantastic. I've found it great for doing faster passages but I still prefer playing slower melodies old-school-like, just playing ahead of the beat a bit.

Thanks Toby & Batrawi! I'll write more in a bit but wanted to acknowledge your posts right away because I just saw them now. (I didn't get notification of your posts for some reason. Will recheck my settings.) Thanks again for taking the time to reply! (The vibrato 'problem' has been sucking the life out of me ;)) More in a bit.

Vibrato is on or off basically. Makes it unusable for me exposed. Blends perfectly with the Studio Strings though.
Thanks, Vin! Yeah, I've been trying to get what I want using on/off but would take me forever to edit that way. Hoping I find a hack! Just noticed your post now - sorry I didn't respond earlier.

I absolutely love CSS and CSSS.
But it is not the heavy vibrato that annoys me, but a poor intonation during the recording. Anyone else noticing this? You could say it makes things more realistic, but sometimes, with certain velocities, the pitch is pretty off! I really hope for a future update.
I also agree that fading the vibrato would be great. I'm particularly bothered by it with final chords.
Other than that I think it's a nice, small library for a fair price and with a wonderful sound. Curious about the woodwinds collection.
Btw: most of the tracks on my website are featuring CSS and/or CSSS if you want to take a listen ;)

I have both CSS and CSSS with no regrets. I agree the vibrato is pretty over the top but it's almost a signature of these libraries, but yes it's particularly noticeable in CSSS. I really do wish there was more range between the organ-like no vibrato and the soaring Hollywood sound.

I've found that if you work on the timing of the on/off vibrato CC as well as the dynamics you can get some really interesting transitions. On long notes that are fading out into the mix, I'll switch to no-vibrato to tie off a phrase or sometimes even between two phrases, I'll keep the note going and turn the vibrato off in between. I must try that trick with the softer dynamics, thanks @Batrawi and @Cory Pelizzari I have a habit of floating around the top dynamic layers, so will be cool to explore that if it helps to tame the vibrato.

Here's something of mine from a while ago that's predominantly CSSS with no vibrato, multiple legato melodies doing their thing, switching on/off occasionally. I really like a bed of multiple no-vibrato legato lines in CSSS, almost sounds like an organ.

It's worth mentioning the @NoamL Thanos script again for the issues with the legato delay, cause it's fantastic. I've found it great for doing faster passages but I still prefer playing slower melodies old-school-like, just playing ahead of the beat a bit.

Very nice! Curious what piano you used? Great character!

overall, it's a great strings library. I really wish for a better transition from non-vibrato to light, mid and then heavier vibrato. Not just on and off but yea, that's gonna be hard to be sampled. Lots of works but it'll be great.

I've been trying to get what I want using on/off but would take me forever to edit that way.
What controller do you have ? I assign Vibrato X fade ( click the gear in the contact instrument.)
to 66 and switch it on or off with a push of a midi controller button / key whatever.
Then record a pass on the selected track turning it on and off to suit. You can fine tune easy by dragging start end points in the editor.
Hope this makes sense.

Heres a quartet using csss with those techniques.

What controller do you have ? I assign Vibrato X fade ( click the gear in the contact instrument.)
to 66 and switch it on or off with a push of a midi controller button / key whatever.
Then record a pass on the selected track turning it on and off to suit. You can fine tune easy by dragging start end points in the editor.
Hope this makes sense.

Heres a quartet using csss with those techniques.

This is beautiful, I can't hear any obvious transitions with the vibrato switching, really well done and great compositions too! Is this and Shearwater solely CSSS? I just use a fader for the vibrato but a button sounds like a great idea, more precision.

@Johnny the piano is Alicia's Keys, has a great concert piano tone imo with the right reverb etc. Thanks for listening glad you like it

I rescind my earlier comments, getting used to the library now and loving the sound of it too! The slow legatos sound amazing (I much prefer slow over fast etc, sounds more realistic in my opinion)

The slow legatos sound amazing
The devil is in the detail! These slow legatos (surprisingly underestimated by many composers/developers for the sake of playability) is what makes these samples come to life and Cinematic Studio Series did a great job in capturing this motion. Still l'm sure what would even improve the realism of these transitions light years ahead is to have them followed with a more relaxed/soft vibrato. Well I hate being that naggy person who seems to be the only one requesting this but I just can't hold myself from mentioning @Alex W whenever this subject is brought up. Even if he'll 99% ignore this and I'll just look like an idiot :geek:...:blush:

Make sure that cc64 is above value 64 before you release the note and after you hit the next one. After that you can release the pedal (cc64).

Top Bottom