What's new

Legato

Okay, I’ll see if I have time to revise this comparison and tweak the midi data.

Crap, I thought my disclaimer in the first post was going to spare my all this extra work ;)

You know, one thing to consider is that when we buy these libraries, aside from the polished demos, which always sound great regardless of the library, what people like myself always want to hear is what it sounds like when the dev is doing a live play-through. In its current form, this comparison is basically that.

Anyway, I don’t know how much more time I want to commit, so maybe I’ll leave it at that, or maybe I will revisit it. It’s not easy making YouTube videos. I thought all I had to do what say “10 something something compared” and that’s all it needed. “The answer may surprise you.” Hit like and subscribe. “You’ll never guess what this velocity value triggers.” Just joking of course.
Agreed. Raw, bumpy and unedited is what I personally prefer in a shoot out. Then at least I have a starting point to judge based on one clunky, regular line- much how I would play it in before editing because I'm terrible at piano.

What would you recommend to handle the whiny formant shift that happens when notes with SCS violin legato bloom? I’m having a hard time with that. To me every note that sustains to half note length in this phrase sounds like “whee”. I don’t know if this is a yammy vs laurel thing and others can’t hear it, but I can’t get rid of it while preserving the sound quality of the library. It feels unnatural and makes the legato phrases sound Frankensteined together.
I wish I could tell you, however I do not own that Library so I can't say for certain that my statement is true regarding SCS. I do know I have heard some nice demos from users of this Library. I too had issues with my 8dio string libraries for quite a while but with some perseverance I learned what worked and didn't work and now I love them and use them a lot. Perhaps make an appeal to other SCS users in another post and see who responds. Sorry I am no help here I do appreciate your comparison video.

Some more great than others. I am on one hand lucky and on the other hand in financial ruin.
Nah, I wouldn't look at it like that. One day you will write a song where that Library you never use is the perfect fit and you'll be glad you have it and find you start to use it more and more.:2thumbs:

Last edited:
What would you recommend to handle the whiny formant shift that happens when notes with SCS violin legato bloom? I’m having a hard time with that. To me every note that sustains to half note length in this phrase sounds like “whee”. I don’t know if this is a yammy vs laurel thing and others can’t hear it, but I can’t get rid of it while preserving the sound quality of the library. It feels unnatural and makes the legato phrases sound Frankensteined together.

Some more great than others. I am on one hand lucky and on the other hand in financial ruin.
First thing I'd try is seeing if you can catch a different dynamic layer where the bloom works a bit different (use expression or even gain to match volume). A second thing to try is one of the other legato patches (or a mix of legato patches) to see if it works better. A third thing to try is to shift the timing a bit to see if you can get the bloom to fit more naturally.

I'm sorry to say... Copy paste comparing is a big no no.. Each motive should be replayed following the way the lib/patch is supposed to be used (each library does it differently, or with different sensitivity on the parameters).
That's the only way to get the best out of each patch/lib, so it compares best (e.g. getting the most out of the legato abilities)

Light & Sound Chamber Strings sounds awesome! Gonna have to look into it!

Surprised at how bad the SCS sounds here. That and SSS are the only 2 string libraries I own from this video as well.

I'm sorry to say... Copy paste comparing is a big no no.. Each motive should be replayed following the way the lib/patch is supposed to be used (each library does it differently, or with different sensitivity on the parameters).
That's the only way to get the best out of each patch/lib, so it compares best (e.g. getting the most out of the legato abilities)
Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good. You have a point, which is that people need to be careful about how much you can glean from a comparison like this (as ka00 makes clear), but this post is very informative all the same, and we should encourage people to share audio more often, not less.

Most posts on this forum are just people asserting an opinion. When people post raw audio like this, we can form our own opinions, and that's supremely helpful.

If posting raw audio is a "big no no", then asserting opinions with no audio to back it up is a far bigger one.

Last edited:
When people post raw audio like this, we can form our own opinions, and that's supremely helpful.

But I think this is the problem. For example, someone might hear a certain library and then change their mind after hearing a demo that was programmed in this manner. Without sequencing them in a way that shows a library's potential, it's not really helping, and has the potential to form a negative opinion from a listener.

But I think this is the problem. For example, someone might hear a certain library and then change their mind after hearing a demo that was programmed in this manner. Without sequencing them in a way that shows a library's potential, it's not really helping, and has the potential to form a negative opinion from a listener.
In that case, the "big no no" is that the listener needs to understand how to interpret raw data correctly. For instance, they can read Ka00s caveats contained in the post and accept that this is just one data point.

There is no perfect comparison, and it is misplaced to be admonishing Ka00 for sharing an information-rich comparison that is not perfect. We need more raw audio comparisons, not less.

Sooner or later, people need to learn to be critical thinkers. Don't put too much stock in any one piece of raw data, instead learn to evaluate and aggregate it and make your own decision.

Last edited:
Top Bottom