What's new

NI coming to the rescue

thecomposer10

Soundtrack Composer • Pianist
So I've learned, both from personal experience and from reading this forum, to not rely on the Native Instruments orchestral instruments that come bundled in Komplete Ultimate. I've never even used them, since I usually rely on Spitfire stuff for orchestral scoring. Until today, when I got a last minute call from a director/frequent collaborator who needed five minutes of music for a parodic musical short with a 1930's feel. I think to myself s**t, I don't have a saxophone.

Then I look at Session Horns Pro and see that, to my surprise, there's both an alto and tenor sax, and that, to my even greater surprise, they are really playable and sound great with a little reverb and finessing of the MIDI data. I'm pleased with how the demo came out; check it out!

On that note, what's your saxophone VI of choice?

Why didn't you want to make it mono?

Easy answer, that by now I'm sure everyone is expecting when the question comes up:

They make a sax?? Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for sharing.

As for why I didn't make it mono, he still wanted it to have a modern feeling, but with a tip of the hat to a 30's style.

There is even a saxophone in their symphony brass (instead of a Piccolo in the Woodwind section, always made me wonder)
Never tried Session Horns out to be honest though.

Whew those are some terrible saxophones in the Symphony Series! Might work well in some backdrop where you need a sense of the sound...I have no idea why they would include that in these libraries though.

So I've learned, both from personal experience and from reading this forum, to not rely on the Native Instruments orchestral instruments that come bundled in Komplete Ultimate. I've never even used them, since I usually rely on Spitfire stuff for orchestral scoring. Until today, when I got a last minute call from a director/frequent collaborator who needed five minutes of music for a parodic musical short with a 1930's feel. I think to myself s**t, I don't have a saxophone.

Then I look at Session Horns Pro and see that, to my surprise, there's both an alto and tenor sax, and that, to my even greater surprise, they are really playable and sound great with a little reverb and finessing of the MIDI data. I'm pleased with how the demo came out; check it out!

On that note, what's your saxophone VI of choice?

Audio Modeling "The Saxophones"

i dislike saxphones generally but here i liekd them but i must ask what else you used ? btw makes me think i upgrade my komplete net time to ultimate side...

And i even still thinked use some saxphones what come with studio one set. even they are i think muych more toy comapred these which sounds very fine my ear for budget sounds.

Then I look at Session Horns Pro and see that, to my surprise, there's both an alto and tenor sax, and that, to my even greater surprise, they are really playable and sound great with a little reverb and finessing of the MIDI data

I've always enjoyed the sound of the solo instruments in Session Horns Pro, including the saxes. The sampling is so well-done that a performance with finessed MIDI data is probably as good as sampled saxes get. But even then, the limitations of sampled saxes are too limiting for me. There is only one library I use for solo work, which is Audio Modeling's SWAM saxes. I'll still use sampled saxes for ensemble work, but modeled saxes are required for getting as close to realism as I need to get.

i dislike saxphones generally but here i liekd them but i must ask what else you used ? btw makes me think i upgrade my komplete net time to ultimate side...

I used the Vintage Drummer bundled with Komplete, the solo clarinet and bassoon from Spitfire’s studio winds, the scarbee m-bass...I think that’s about it.

Whaaatttt? You dislike Stan Getz, Tower Of Power, Earth Wind and Fire, John Coltrane and so on and so on? Or did you mean sampled and modeled saxes I hope?
I dont know such artists. generally talk instrument but more than likely is how is played.like general idea of bagpipes sound dreadful but one show what i hear tv sounded nice.

I dont know such artists. generally talk instrument but more than likely is how is played.like general idea of bagpipes sound dreadful but one show what i hear tv sounded nice.

OK, then this is problem a cultural exposure thing as they are among the most famous users of the saxophones. Their usage in Classical music is fairly limited.

Sensual sax is an absolute steal with that price for all them cheese-dripping slower and slurred phrases. Every time I pick it up I just cant help myself playing the theme from Hercule Poirot!

*corrects his moustache* *tips hat*

But seriously: as an advice for anyone looking for the best possible (and versatile) solo sax for the future, if you want the best- get those Audiomodeling ones. I have (both) Session Horns, SAMswings, Sensual Sax, and the gods know what else, but nothing comes even close to the AM stuff in exposed melody/solo lines. And they work wonders in/as sections as well, especially when paired with Samplemodeling's brassier treats.

I'm about to finish of a project which includes a ton of "80´s pop/rock" sax solos done with the Audiomodeling saxes and I'm so frustrated I can't yet upload a sample of those to show what I've done with them. :D

Seriously, did I say it already? Buy them. You won't regret it.

OK, then this is problem a cultural exposure thing as they are among the most famous users of the saxophones. Their usage in Classical music is fairly limited.
I try learn all kind music.thing culturalrelated maybe and their use in even rock side is limtied but i try look also their music any ideas what songs listen? i try listen all kind music expect heaviest heavy metal and opera.

Top Bottom