What's new

How to Write a Hit Song in the 21st Century

YaniDee

Not a judgement, but a (humorous ..cynical?) summary of some elements of current pop music.
Frankly, I'm still writing "traditional" music (that's why I'm taking empties to the store for extra cash..)

Here goes:

Try not to use more than 3 - 4 notes in the melody..two is pretty good.
For rap, one note will do.

Don't make it too "melodic"

Repeat "motif" as much as possible

Keep lyrics as minimal as possible (except for rap)

Avoid "stories" or anything "deep"

Use "woo" "whoa" "yea" & "uh-huh" liberally.

You can still use the occasional "millenial whoop"

Do not to use more than 4 chords..One or two is quite good

Avoid II V I or even V I

Avoid all chord extensions

Avoid "organic" instruments. Guitar or piano is ok for a "retro" sound

Get some good rhythmic loops

Master your "copy & Paste" skills

Don't forget to put beautiful girls in the video & enjoy the cash you'll make!

As an example..

Last edited:
You forgot to add steal and rape!
When being exposed to pop music on radio in public places or TV I realized how cold blooded these artists steal melodies and more from tracks popular a couple of years later, selling it as their own. Also popular is: Take a classic hit -> rape it til it gets the shape of your genre (make it dubbbbbbstp for example). Let the millenials praise your work (i was born mid 90s so maybe i shouldnt throw stones here :P)

Imo your example is already too good for todays standards. Too catchy and musical.

Last edited:
There’s crap in every musical genre. Or maybe your sh*t smells like roses. Also, since it’s so easy, we’re all going to be filthy rich by next month using these formulas, right?
Like I said at the beginning of my post, I'm not judging it. The example I gave is catchy, has an awesome beat and i'd dance to it (if I still went out dancing..). As a person who has a music degree and has studied music going back a thousand years ( check out Gregorian chant for simple but effective melody) I am just summarizing some elements of current pop styles. Yes, the implication is that it's simplistic, superficial and frankly, I don't think people will go to concert halls in a hundred years to listen to it. The one thing that really bugs me is the decline of melody, as that is what stands the test of time.

Step 1: Get on the internet and complain about how music isn't good anymore and insinuate that "traditional" music is superior in every way. Try not to sound too bitter or jealous.

Step 2: Pretend that acts like Radiohead, Beyonce, Bruno Mars, Kendrick Lamar, Johnny Cash, MGMT, U2, Jason Mraz, Tame Impala, Arctic Monkeys, Pharrell Williams, Coldplay, Lady Gaga, Amy Winehouse, Madonna, Lorde, Outkast, The White Stripes, John Mayer, Daft Punk, Eminem, The Flaming Lips, Deadmau5, Adele, Linkin Park, Sara Bareilles, Audioslave, Mary J. Blige, The Killers, Imogen Heap, Alicia Keys, CeeLo Green, Gotye, Imagine Dragons, Train, Sufjan Stevens, Snow Patrol, Macy Gray, and anyone else who doesn't fit your description but still put out moderately interesting 21st century hit songs, just straight up doesn't exist. Hey, gotta build that narrative.

Step 3: Profit!

I guess I feel like this sentiment basically boils down to: "I don't like what's on the radio." And the solution is simple: turn off the radio. There is truly excellent music being released today, but you gotta find it. Clear Channel won't help you there.

A fitting analogy might be fast food. We could discuss the culinary deficiencies of McDonald's, or how Taco Bell is basically just repackaging the same 6 crappy ingredients in novel ways. But that's fine, because they didn't set out to make excellent food. They set out to make a profit, and they're doing pretty great at it.

Last edited:
Bad stuff in every genre. Hell, I love metal yet I think most of it sucks. But Dave Grohl put it really nicely when asked about the pop stuff you hear in the radio..."I think it's good when you're stuck in traffic, but that's about it."

And yet with that formula, you’d still be surprised how difficult it is to write a pop song.
I agree...I have thousands of loops I've bought and occasionally I put something together with them, but, as other people have mentioned in other posts , I don't feel "right" about it..I'm not saying it's wrong or there's no place for it. But when a song is 90% loops with a three note melody and a "hook" that repeats 20 times, well, I'm not impressed..
Step 2: Pretend that acts like Radiohead, Beyonce, Bruno Mars, Kendrick Lamar, Johnny Cash, MGMT, U2.......don't exist
I'm not talking about bands like that..
Bad stuff in every genre. Hell, I love metal yet I think most of it sucks. But Dave Grohl put it really nicely when asked about the pop stuff you hear in the radio..."I think it's good when you're stuck in traffic, but that's about it."
But in the 60s, 70s , 80s, etc every week there were five or more "classics' that would come out, that people are still enjoying listening to 40+ years later! It is what it is..I guess I'm retro.

Anyhow , Im going to stop defending my views..the post was meant to be humorous..

Last edited:
Top Bottom