What's new

Sonivox Orchestral Companion Woodwinds

jaketanner

Hi all...So I have been looking for an ensemble woodwinds to be my background for the 8dio Claire series solo instruments. Someone had recommended I check out the Sonivox Woodwinds...a few days ago they were $60, then I found them for $30, today they're $5..LOL So I figured, for $5 I can download the demo, and to my surprise...they're not bad in combination with the Claire. Surely beats the NI Essentials Winds that comes with Kontakt Ultimate, and for $5, it's a no brainer, and also a great lite resource sketch library...I have also their String companion that I got for $1, so now I think I will load that up also and create a sketch template.

Anyone else use these?

I actually like the sound of the woodwind ensemble but their libraries crash Cubase constantly for me. They crashed Cubase 8 and 10 as well so I uninstalled all of my sonivox libraries. Those are the only ones I have that crash it. Not sure if that's just me or if others have that issue.

I actually like the sound of the woodwind ensemble but their libraries crash Cubase constantly for me. They crashed Cubase 8 and 10 as well so I uninstalled all of my sonivox libraries. Those are the only ones I have that crash it. Not sure if that's just me or if others have that issue.

Damn..I am on PT, so let's hope it doesn't. Good to know though, as I do plan on moving to Cubase at some point.

I do, for sketching... they do sound good. My main complaint is the lack of a velocity/gain ratio. The way it is now pp layers sound too soft and it gets difficult to control the phrasing via cc11... but the recording quality is very good.
I'm on Cubase 9.5 and never had a crash (Win7)

I do, for sketching... they do sound good. My main complaint is the lack of a velocity/gain ratio. The way it is now pp layers sound too soft and it gets difficult to control the phrasing via cc11... but the recording quality is very good.
Weird. I'm on 7 as well. I had random crashes every now and then with various Sonivox libraries on Cubase 8 but it wasn't terribly bad. On 10 it crashes constantly. Just completely locks it up every single time. I thoroughly tested all my plugins when I first got 10 and have not had a single crash from any other plugin or vsti. so maybe it's a weird configuration issue with my pc if others are working fine with it.

Mac or PC?

The lack of CC dynamic control is a bit of an issue, but as an under-layer to the solo library that has dynamics on CC1, it seems to not be that big of an issue...but I haven't really dug deep into it yet.

Anyone else use these?

The Sonivox were my first orchestral libraries outside of Logic's factory libraries. I think the recordings are great, even if the scripting lacks some modern features. To my ear, they have a kind of vintage, old-Hollywood feel. (I actually did an album of fake vintage film music with them....)

I'd probably still use them, except the licensing software is cumbersome and doesn't readily transfer your licenses to a new machine (or at least, I couldn't get it to work). But sometimes when it gets down to $5 I do think about just buying a new license. (At this point it's just spite that keeps me from it.)

I use these all the time. The problem with this series is that they don't have mod wheel dynamics controls, only CC11 expression. So there's no variation in timbre as you get louder. I use Reaper, so crashing has never been a problem, but what I've done is create a track template and, using Reaper's ReaLearn plugin, added mod wheel control that handles volume as well as a small bit of EQ high shelf to give it a kind of faux timbre change. The results are surprisingly good.

Hi all...So I have been looking for an ensemble woodwinds to be my background for the 8dio Claire series solo instruments. Someone had recommended I check out the Sonivox Woodwinds...a few days ago they were $60, then I found them for $30, today they're $5..LOL So I figured, for $5 I can download the demo, and to my surprise...they're not bad in combination with the Claire. Surely beats the NI Essentials Winds that comes with Kontakt Ultimate, and for $5, it's a no brainer, and also a great lite resource sketch library...I have also their String companion that I got for $1, so now I think I will load that up also and create a sketch template.

Anyone else use these?
where did you find this offer? could you please provide a link to it? thank you very much!

thank you!

could somebody please post an audio example? i haven't found any video that showcast the library... thx!
https://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/orchestral-companion-woodwinds

Also, SONiVOX offers free fully functional demos [EDIT: I just tried the Taylor Guitar demo and it made loud noises periodically] of all their products. You need iLok software, but not a physical iLok.

In fact the way you buy them is to download the trials and then activate them.

Last edited:
https://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/orchestral-companion-woodwinds

Also, SONiVOX offers free fully functional demos of all their products. You need iLok software, but not a physical iLok.

In fact the way you buy them is to download the trials and then activate them.
thankyou

People should grab all three of these modules at that price. They are limited in scripting, yes, but they SOUND excellent. Saw a video recently where composer Guy Michelmore (various Marvel animated shows) was using the Orchestral Companion Strings library for a piece, and he's got just about every string library there is. He ultimately replaced the strings in the final recording, but they sounded great before the replacement.

People should grab all three of these modules at that price. They are limited in scripting, yes, but they SOUND excellent. Saw a video recently where composer Guy Michelmore (various Marvel animated shows) was using the Orchestral Companion Strings library for a piece, and he's got just about every string library there is. He ultimately replaced the strings in the final recording, but they sounded great before the replacement.

THX ! :thumbsup: Surprised … (3) Libs_ ~18GB Dnld / ~21.5GB installed. Had no idea until your advices.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see that there are two glisses up and two glisses down for the flute ensemble and the solo oboe.

Also, if you are a really big spender, you can get 19 SONiVOX products for $49.99 at PluginBoutique if you already have one. (I really like the Atsia and Silk Road percussion, each of which are also often available for $5 or less.)
  • TimewARP 2600
  • Twist
  • Wobble
  • Orchestral Companion - Brass
  • Orchestral Companion - Strings
  • Orchestral Companion Woodwinds
  • Big Bang Cinematic Percussion
  • Eighty Eight Ensemble
  • Big Bang Universal Drums
SONiVOX Singles
  • Atsia Percussion
    Atsia Bass Drums