What's new

Is Cinematic Studio Series easier use than Hollywood orchestra? etc

JPQ

is Cinematic Studio Series easier use than Hollywood orchestra? i dont fully feel confortable with Play engine. i think what to add to my vsl special edition vol 1 based setup someday. i generally want relative simple sounds i mean vsl not many parameters like vsl works finewhen you use reverb and make make few autoamtions. i dont why i feel play is complex to compared many other librairies when i look gui.

Are you simply referring to the GUI? Or playability?
EastWest libraries commonly take a lot of tweaking to bring out a great sound. However, once you do, they sound amazing, even considering their "age."
The Cinematic Studio Series, by comparison, are better sounding out-of-the-box, in my opinion.
You can do some amazing things with both, really!

In my opinion, yes, absolutely. Both can sound great (if very different), but for me, CSS is much easier and quicker to use than Hollywood Strings.

Much easier, yes. The GUI is very clear-cut and simple, and the scripting logic behind the articulations is intuitive and makes sense. You got keyswitches and CC for everything, which you can also change and configure the way you need it, and the library generally doesn't even take an absurd amount of massaging to sound good.

Much easier out of the box, but with HO if you choose your patches well and truly know how they work, it levels out.

HWO (as others mentioned) takes some extra time & effort but the one thing with HWO is offers more FX patches.

CSS is just a joy to work with. Bought CSSS and CBS a few days ago. Its extremely easy to work with and very user friendly. A very well thought out product!

Imeanquickly useable. to me vsl is also such even needs reverb with arefully used. i mean playable to vsl is. and i totally prefer kontakt to play. no small text expect if sample lirary guy has such but i think this stuff dont have.

GOOD LORD yes, the Hollywood series is not easy at all. The CS series on the other hand is simple and clear. Both sound fantastic and yield fantastic results. I tend to place ease of use toward the bottom of the list of important factors when getting a library though. I find versatility to be more important, within reason of course!

Last edited:
I like the tone of HO but it's just so inconsistent that it's usually not acceptable for me, save for a couple of the woodwinds, the horns, and some of the strings patches. It's definitely not anywhere near as playable as CS in any way, shape, or form. It's an older library, so it's not really fair to compare it in terms of software though. When it came out it was great! (still is in a lot of ways)

Well ideally once you set up a template you don't have to worry about it again, but when it comes to just trying things out on the spur of the moment, I rarely load EastWest instruments anymore because it's one instrument per articulation, or you have to load or build a keyswitch patch and there's no overall consistent plan. Very different from CSB/CSS/CSSS where I can use the same LogicX articulation map on all three libraries, move or copy MIDI and everything just works, etc.

There are certain things that HO sounds great on its own (without comparing with CS series). HO Brass is great actually. the 6 french horns.

Top Bottom