What's new

Something is Coming - Spitfire Thunderbolt

Can any current owners speak to LCO strings? I've got a scoring gig coming up that's a noir comedy that takes place in a funhouse filled with surreal characters, and I'm thinking the detuned sounds may be the perfect addition to my arsenal, and not really possible to capture with anything else. I've also heard, however, that the library is limited in what it can do.
Every library is limited in what it can do! LCOS has lots to offer, many interesting sounds and articulations that are not available elsewhere. Here is a good example by @rlw with LCOS integrated into a composition: https://vi-control.net/community/th...-orchestra-strings.59864/page-26#post-4350050

I find the sounds of LCOS very interesting but I've personally had difficulty integrating them anything like @rlw did in that piece. But hearing his piece has prodded me to keep working at it.

I find the sounds of LCOS very interesting but I've personally had difficulty integrating them anything like @rlw did in that piece. But hearing his piece has prodded me to keep working at it.

I agree, I'm using them on something at the moment but I feel I'm shoehorning them in opposed to them sitting correctly... I've since pulled a few.

@thecomposer10 from my initial play with Spitfire AsS today I'd say those are more suited to noir comedy surreal characters? The Pizzicato mixed up using normal, brushed and damped made me smile. And they would easily fit into a piece, no shoehorning. Key switching them to a Long Alternative made some crazy sounds.

I think they are great together. One is like the sensible brother who talks to you for hours and gets his point across in an amusing way, whilst LCOS is the slightly crazy sister you let out now and again the wreck the place!

They do play well together. sASS(y?) strings are great to use with LCO because you can weave the solo instruments in with the small ensemble, really bringing out the characteristics of each. LCO often gets talked about for the detuned and other unique articulations, but the more straight ahead patches are also just really powerful across the whole keyboard. The low end is ferocious.

It does feel like the kind of library that you would have to spend some time studying in order to be able to write with those special articulations in mind though. Something I've been dying to do is to just sit down with this library, pull up the There Will Be Blood soundtrack, make a big old milkshake, and get to work trying to emulate some of those LCO passages using just this library. I feel like doing something like that would really unlock the full potential of what's included.

I have to tell myself they will be on sale again. I don't have time to go through them all and make a decision. And I still haven't really played with all the stuff I got at Christmas. But the ASS is very tempting.

Smart move to make the most of what you already have. And remember, there will be new and exciting releases all year long. The more you save now, the more you have saved for the next big thing.

I do think they also knew this place would shorten it to be fair. Christian probably spearheaded it

They themselves use the acronym AltSS, not ASS for understandable reasons I think. Anyway, ignore me. If it doesn't challenge anyone else to take a post or product seriously when they have to read the word ASS every two sentences than so be it!

I don't think I've ever seen a single demo --even just 30 secs-- of Alternative Solo Strings posted on VI-C. Anyone??

Top Bottom