What's new

The Top 12 Most Popular DAWs, as per Ask Audio Survey

It's funny to me that Reason is more popular than Reaper on that poll. From how vocal the minority is you'd think that everyone on the planet is using Reaper :laugh:

Actually, @KallumS , I see this as a bad sign for Reason. I've been a Reason user since 1.0 and love the product, just to give context. Ask Audio is a site that is oriented toward EDM and related music. This is the exact audience Reason targets given what it is. Seeing that it only received 4.98% of votes is disheartening, especially given the DAW oriented features it has added in recent years. While this is just one poll, I would have thought on Ask Audio it would have a better showing.

Comparing to Reaper is pointless. Apples and oranges. On another site with a different target audience Reaper would probably have a better showing and Digital Performer would be represented. For instance this site. Cubase would be much higher, DP would be on the chart and Reason probably would be a no-show. It's just about the audience you are polling. No big deal.

These results shouldn’t surprise anybody. Ableton has taken over the EDM scene and large swaths of the pop and hip hop scene as well. The big three standard ones are well represented- in the order I would expect. Logic is the best deal in the space right now, Pro tools is still a necessity when working with studios / post / live. Cubase has always been the smallest of the big 3 but is obviously over represented for composers. I don’t see this distribution changing much except for maybe Studio One taking a more sizeable piece away from the big three.

Reactions: LFO
I recently installed reaper. And I must say, I like it very much. For my needs, it's quite intuitive to find all the important functions. Even editing notes in the score editor is logical to me. My only concern is that there is a very small team behind it. So using Cubase makes it feel more future-proof...

Top Bottom