What's new

Difference between SA Albion One and Albion V?

I'm not really sure they a comparable: Albion One is recorded epic-loud whereas Albion V is recorded super quiet. I suggest reading the specs on spitfires website. I happen to have both and find both useful. Albion V is a bit more unique and has many unusual articulations, if that's of value.

I guess I mean in comparison or reference to having EWSO (whether that's considered loud or quiet). In other words, what am I lacking already?

Depends on what kind of music you want to write. EWSO is center of the road, which Albion One also covers (though better). Do you want to write softer, more subtle stuff? Then perhaps Albion V will help you get there IF you like the sounds in the videos, another option is OT Time Macro. Want to write bigger, more dynamic stuff? Then maybe Albion 3 or OT Metro Ark 1.

Looks like woodwinds and percussion are really the two areas you're short on (unless you don't use much WW or really like EWSO perc). HZ perc or Cineperc are cool options for some bigger perc.

Last edited:
Great points.

I should add that I have these percussion libraries as well:

Action Strikes
Damage
Stormdrum 2
Pretty much most Heavyocity
Keepforest titles

You could think of Albion One as more bread-&-butter and Albion V as niche. Tundra would certainly be more different than anything you have now. I have it and think it's a fantastic library, but whether you would find what it offers - "the very edge of silence", as Spitfire puts it - worthwhile and useful is an entirely subjective question.

Great points.

Action Strikes
Damage
Stormdrum 2
Keepforest titles
Sounds like you have enough perc to work with then. Besides woodwinds, perhaps looking for stronger string and Brass might be in order.

Cinematic Studio Strings (CSS) are what a lot of people use for beautiful, flowing strings. I like them too, but have been obsessed with Spitfire's Chamber strings as my goto- since they add some "beauty" to any library I add them to- sometimes CSS (for smoother, more flowing lines), sometimes Cinestrings (for a harder edge), sometimes 8Dio Sordinos (softer) or Symphobia (more traditional). SSS is the one other library I'd like to use to replace SCS for bigger pieces.

As far as brass I like Cinebrass and Con Moto Brass, but am thinking about picking up Cinematic Studio Brass (CSB) since it's got a great sound, dynamic and interface, and it's $279 for those that own CSS. Although Audio Bro's new brass might be worth waiting for.

Perhaps just write with what you have for now. So much can be gained from learning the Novo/Forzo interface. I have Intimate Textures and even that smaller library has given me a large variety of material, from ostinatos to evos to odd textures, very useful. It gives you movement, flow, traditional and hybrid sounds, and once you've written a lot for it you'll have a better idea of what else you need.

Even the best libraries don't do everything, and some take more work than others to get right (as you probably know from EWSO). For a more modern sound, it becomes important to mix several libraries for each section to get a sound that is more customized for your work.

Last edited:
I'm a former user of EWQL Symphonic Orchestra and Miroslav Philharmonik. Since I don't have classical training, these libraries have never suited my workflow, so investing in Spitfire Audio's Albion libraries was a game changer for me. Not only I like the very sound of Spitfire Audio libraries way better, for me it's much more intuitive working with some already finished orchestral textures and combinations than starting from the very scratch, as when using more traditional libraries.

I have Albion Legacy, Loegria and Tundra libraries and I'm often using the sounds from all three of them in a same project as they blend perfectly and all of them have its own unique benefits. Albion I covers the most applications, while Albion II offers more fine "brushes" and details, especially for strings. Albion V, on the other hand, features many rarely heard articulations and playing styles which all sound beautiful, but it's definitely not a library that will fit most of the needs on its own.

Personally, I would recommend the newest Albion One to most people without hesitation, especially if they've looking for a Swiss Army Knife library. IMO, it is a winning combination of top quality sound, usability and versatility.

Great points.

Action Strikes
Damage
Stormdrum 2
Keepforest titles

Geez, and you're still thinking about more percussion? Maybe taiko: try Stormdrum 3, a bizarrely undermentioned Monster of a library.

Last edited:
Does Spitfire tend to have any sales outside of the holidays that just passed?
Last year they had a wishlist sale in May. They also have a EDU sale in September, which is the best sale of all if you qualify for the EDU discount.

Top Bottom