What's new

Spitfire Audio London Contemporary Orchestra Textures – Available now

For those that have this new one as well as The British Drama Toolkit, any thoughts on which would be a more useful start into Spitfire or which would get more use in your work?
BDT gives you a nice chamber group/small theater orchestra of longs and textures. I like it quite a lot, and use it often especially for noodling ideas, but it takes some getting used to. It doesn't work like any other SF instrument, though it blends nicely with them.

Textures is more a niche thing, I think.

BDT gives you a nice chamber group/small theater orchestra of longs and textures.
Textures is more a niche thing, I think.

I was 'wimpy' about using the niche term but had the overall feeling. Not in any critical way; just seems to fit.

Really enjoy my 'odd' set of BDT, Swarm, eDNA /Kinematik, Glass+Steel, EVO 3, together with newer version LABS. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'd love to hear how this layers with other samples. If anyone who has this has tried it or can post something, I'd like hear what this adds when it's not in the forefront, but rather adding texture underneath something else.

I'd love to hear how this layers with other samples. If anyone who has this has tried it or can post something, I'd like hear what this adds when it's not in the forefront, but rather adding texture underneath something else.
The track I posted earlier, Midnight Taxi Drive, features two other/external tracks. However I wouldn't say LCOT necessarily sits in the background...

The track I posted earlier, Midnight Taxi Drive, features two other/external tracks. However I wouldn't say LCOT necessarily sits in the background...
Yes, I heard this and thought it was very emotional and moody. Thank you for posting it. But I'm thinking more of even a string track, where this is sitting behind the strings adding some intangible depth. Does that make sense?

Yes, I heard this and thought it was very emotional and moody. Thank you for posting it. But I'm thinking more of even a string track, where this is sitting behind the strings adding some intangible depth. Does that make sense?
Yep, it does indeed.

I played around with LCOT quite a lot yesterday and a bit more today, and the library definitely has things it wants to do. Timbrally it has range (voice, strings, mallets, piano, etc) but that range is perhaps less developed into distinct varieties than would be optimal. I think this is where the impression of "lack of variety" comes from.

Still, variety can be had. Attached are a couple of noodles that came from trying to get at some of that variety. Waiting for an Answer uses only LCOT. The other two add various strings, which could use some more programming work, as could finding the optimal reverb. But here's the thing: I could have gotten similar, probably for the material in these noodles, better results from other libraries I have. That's often a problem when you step outside a library's sweet spot.

I may try some noodles that are more in line with what the library wants to do. My sense is that this will mix well with BDT. So that may be next.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/steampunk-showdown-2-mp3.18159/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/waiting-for-an-answer-lcot-test-2-mp3.18160/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/the-answer-comes-lcot-test-3-mp3.18164/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Steampunk Showdown #2.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 153
  • Waiting for an Answer (LCOT Test #2).mp3
    1 MB · Views: 146
  • The Answer Comes (LCOT Test #3).mp3
    1 MB · Views: 108
I played around with LCOT quite a lot yesterday and a bit more today, and the library definitely has things it wants to do. Timbrally it has range (voice, strings, mallets, piano, etc) but that range is perhaps less developed into distinct varieties than would be optimal. I think this is where the impression of "lack of variety" comes from.

Still, variety can be had. Attached are a couple of noodles that came from trying to get at some of that variety. Waiting for an Answer uses only LCOT. The other two add various strings, which could use some more programming work, as could finding the optimal reverb. But here's the thing: I could have gotten similar, probably for the material in these noodles, better results from other libraries I have. That's often a problem when you step outside a library's sweet spot.

I may try some noodles that are more in line with what the library wants to do. My sense is that this will mix well with BDT. So that may be next.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/steampunk-showdown-2-mp3.18159/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/waiting-for-an-answer-lcot-test-2-mp3.18160/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/the-answer-comes-lcot-test-3-mp3.18164/][/AUDIOPLUS]
Nice stuff - what piano patch did you use in 'Waiting for an Answer?' you got yours sufficiently louder, where I was hoping to go... Maybe I had more room to go on the velocity editor.

Nice stuff - what piano patch did you use in 'Waiting for an Answer?' you got yours sufficiently louder, where I was hoping to go... Maybe I had more room to go on the velocity editor.
It's the PianoWhisper from the curated presets. Evidently, I added 6dB of gain using the gain utility in Logic and then another 2.1dB using the region gain. At the same time, expression is set at around 70 and CC1 at 75, and both of those trim the signal, so I'm not sure what the gain overall sums to. The volume and dynamics on this patch are completely determined by CC1 and CC11 so velocity doesn't come into play.

The Evos are what really made me fall in love with Spitfire Audio (besides the fact that I still use the old Albion over Albion 1 sometimes) and this one just sounds like my kind of tool.

At the end of the day we all have to evaluate what we actually need for our work.

I will try to hold back a little, will probably fail and use this in my next project ..

Sorry if this has been asked before, is there a way to separate the instruments? (maybe via mic position, a bit like BHT)

Sorry if this has been asked before, is there a way to separate the instruments? (maybe via mic position, a bit like BHT)

I've not really messed with the mics too much but can you get more defined sounds from just using the close mic with a little of the room/hanger. But there's no individual instrument patches just curated presets.

Top Bottom