What's new

Looking for Native American Samples

It might be worth checking out Forest Kingdom 2, although I think it's primarily South American content.

Having lived in Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Colorado... and visited/studied the cultural aspects of the Pacific North West (US and Canada), I would like to offer a suggestion about Native American samples: These are different tribes, cultures and people.

I'm unfamiliar with the sample libraries mentioned, but I have done scoring that was intended to represent Native American cultures musically. Luckily, I was able to afford the time and cost of researching the work I was about to do and learned a lot!

I had produced some demo material, produced to show the production company and other mucky-mucks what I wanted to do with their money... Again, with luck, I first played the demos for some N.A. musicians I had hired as advisors on the project.

Their laughter at my demos still haunts me! :)

Their culture is rich and very specific. Do yourself a favor and find N.A. musicians who have knowledge and generations of experience to bring to the work you hope to deliver. Most are eager teachers!!

Hire them. Accommodate them. Learn all you can. It's hard to escape this work flow without being rewarded personally/professionally for your efforts.

The mentioned libraries do contain some information on tribe / location information (at least my memory is telling me that!) I would love to see a Kwakiutl library but I doubt that will happen! I have some limited access to the Ojibwa locally but not the means to do successful recordings.

Sadly, libraries are often all that is available. I would imagine it would be frustrating to hear someone making music with the goal of it sounding "Native American" though.

On the flipside, as a ornithologist I have to laugh every time I hear a bird call in a movie or show that is obviously not from where they are filming! Ha!

Honestly , I have searched for the same thing and the Voices of Native America 1 and 2 is the most comprehensive collection I have seen. A lot of good stuff in there ( which clearly you know ) Douglas did a great job with these :)

Having lived in Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Colorado... and visited/studied the cultural aspects of the Pacific North West (US and Canada), I would like to offer a suggestion about Native American samples: These are different tribes, cultures and people.

I'm unfamiliar with the sample libraries mentioned, but I have done scoring that was intended to represent Native American cultures musically. Luckily, I was able to afford the time and cost of researching the work I was about to do and learned a lot!

I had produced some demo material, produced to show the production company and other mucky-mucks what I wanted to do with their money... Again, with luck, I first played the demos for some N.A. musicians I had hired as advisors on the project.

Their laughter at my demos still haunts me! :)

Their culture is rich and very specific. Do yourself a favor and find N.A. musicians who have knowledge and generations of experience to bring to the work you hope to deliver. Most are eager teachers!!

Hire them. Accommodate them. Learn all you can. It's hard to escape this work flow without being rewarded personally/professionally for your efforts.

The mentioned libraries do contain some information on tribe / location information (at least my memory is telling me that!) I would love to see a Kwakiutl library but I doubt that will happen! I have some limited access to the Ojibwa locally but not the means to do successful recordings. I have some limited access to the Ojibwa locally but not the means to do successful recordings.

Sadly, libraries are often all that is available. I would imagine it would be frustrating to hear someone making music with the goal of it sounding "Native American" though.

On the flipside, as a ornithologist I have to laugh every time I hear a bird call in a movie or show that is obviously not from where they are filming! Ha!

I decided to do some quick research starting with the manuals of the two First Nations Libraries I have (the already mentioned Impact Soundworks Forest Frame Drums and Orange Tree Samples Mesa Winds).

Forest Frame Drums is an Ojibwa instrument. The Ojibwa Nation being located around Lake Superior in the South of Ontario Canada and the North Mid West of the US (around Michigan, North Dakota, Minnesota and Wisonsin).

Mesa Winds was sampled from 6 flutes from three different flute makers. The Low G, G, Low A and A flutes were made by Geoffrey Ellis of Earthtone flutes whose website notes his First Nations style flutes are inspired by the flutes of the Pueblo Nations of the US South West (who are principally though not entirely in New Mexico). The High D Flute was made by Ed Hrebec of Spirit of the Woods Flutes whose website notes that his flutes are of the plains style (the Great Plains being a massive geographical region running from Canada down to Mexico (but not the lands of the Pueblo Nations or the Ojibwa Nation). The D Flute was made by Colyn Petersen of Woodland Voices Flutes, whose website indicates they make no claim to be First Nations. The artists who use their flutes include 3 people of First Nations heritage: one of the Cherokee Nation, one of the Cree Nation and African-American heritage and one of Seminole and Unangan heritage - so South Eastern US Woodlands (Seminole and Cherokee), Central Canada (Cree whose territory is North of Lake Superior and who are a group related to the Ojibwa) and the Aleutian Islands off Alaska (the Unangan or Aleut, a group culturally more related to the Yupik and Inuit Peoples (Eskimo). The Wikipedia page for Native American Flutes indicates that there's often distinction between Plains and Woodland style flutes, so it'd seem that the High D Flute is Plains Style, while the D Flute may be Woodlands style, but that'd be a big assumption.

Okay, I've gone overboard again. Stopping now.

Not a single N.A. sample here but if you ever need anything else https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/earth-encounters-1/

Top Bottom