What's new

How much free space to leave on SSD

JT

With all of my recent purchases, my SSD is getting filled up. So what is a safe amount of free space to leave on this sample drive? Mine is a 2 TB drive and now it's about 85% full, there's about 300 GBs free right now.

Thanks

You're fine - I have a 2TB drive here with 7GB free :grin:

Read speed is unaffected - the write speed on SSDs slows down when they fill up, but that's not important for a sample drive.

Think about what you could buy to fill the remaining 300GB!! :emoji_smiling_imp:

Also remember that if you have 300GB, you'll only be able to install a 150GB library unless you download to some separate drive (you need to first download the 150GB, then it will install into the remaining 150GB).

Also remember that if you have 300GB, you'll only be able to install a 150GB library unless you download to some separate drive (you need to first download the 150GB, then it will install into the remaining 150GB).

Always download to a regular platter drive, then move the lib to SSD!

I would leave 3% free, so the ssd can move stuff around as needed.

Absolutely not necessary for sample drives.

I came to confirm how much space I should leave on my sample drive. None? Good to know. But...

Always download to a regular platter drive, then move the lib to SSD!
o_O Oops! What are the ramifications for downloading directly to the SSD?

I came to confirm how much space I should leave on my sample drive. None? Good to know. But...

o_O Oops! What are the ramifications for downloading directly to the SSD?
None. Just if the library needs to uncompress you need twice the space free. Therefore a different drive is sometimes easier.

I have a Mac with a 1TB internal SSD, and my libraries are all on that instead of an external SSD. Since the operating system is also on it along with the sample libraries should I leave some extra space free?

I have a Mac with a 1TB internal SSD, and my libraries are all on that instead of an external SSD. Since the operating system is also on it along with the sample libraries should I leave some extra space free?

If the OS is on it, definitely. Just downloading email requires storage, let alone anything else.

I'd suggest to keep some space open on that drive for updates. For example HZ strings. If your drive was full, you wouldn't have room for that specific update.

Well, yeah, I mean HZ strings in the same sense that your underwear should be clean in case your pants rip and fall off in public.

Stuff gets written to your system drive in the background all day long, from bookmarks to session backups for undo steps to caching all kinds of things. Even the actual session files! You need some space on your system drive.

Top Bottom