What's new

Spitfire Studio Brass

Assuming those examples were all from the same MIDI and not played in separately, you can hear some notes falling off the beat in a very off-kilter way in the Cinebrass example that doesn't sound anything like John Williams' real orchestra you posted. The horns a4 patch in SStB does have some looseness between the individual players so they aren't in robotic lockstep, but the notes still hit the right beats, which is what one generally wants when programming MIDI, and you then have the freedom to humanize the performance as you see fit if you want it a bit looser. In the Cinebrass example, there are several repetitions that are very clearly not on beat. Listen to the actual score from North by Northwest and you should be able to hear why the Cinebrass example above sounds so sloppy. (EDIT: Whoops, I posted the wrong recording, but it still works as an example, and the correct version was shared below.)

Mock-up the Throne Room with SStB, I'll do it with Cinebrass, let's see how those demos compare against each other and the real thing. I think that could be really interesting.

https://moviethemes.net/music/Star_Wars/EP4__The_Throne_Room_and_End_Title.mid

Yeah, they really don't sound good to me. The Cinebrass are not perfect but sound more realistic as brass instruments.

What articulation is this?
Agreed. It sounds like a keyboard patch. It's just too tight. But I'd like to hear an attempt to make it sound more lively. With CC automations, time stretch, etc., to see how stiff or not the library really is.

Btw, I've never noticed how incredibly short are those staccatissimo notes at the beginning of the Throne Room before trying to mock-up it. It's interesting how this process makes you listen to music in a totally new way.

Paul in YouTube comment section: "Whoops! The British brass woods etc are the old bespoke libraries. Nice spot!"

Last edited:
Pau in YouTube comment section: "Whoops! The British brass woods etc are the old bespoke libraries. Nice spot!"
The ambient guitars is definitely the library that Christian has been blurring in his videos. It looks like the trees from the Leo libraries. I thought they were going to put it out when he was the guest for black Friday. Maybe that was the original plan.

It wasn't an attempt at realism . Indeed quite the reverse. I wanted to give it the most brutal example I could. Max out the velocities and see how they fared. I was surprised at how well the samples stood up to such abuse to be honest !

best

ed
Ed, my post was a little (as mostly) ironic statement. I don't get it what people are criticizing. In one thread, they criticize the sample start points, in another one, they critisize a too much well done sample start points editing, because suddenly it sounds like a synth .... . You know what I mean ... . :)
Best
Gunther

Duuuh …. any reason to hold on Studio Brass Core _ 'now' _ despite Wishlist shortly ?
Even if Pro is great deal … would only pay difference _ right ?

Duuuh …. any reason to hold on Studio Brass Core _ 'now' _ despite Wishlist shortly ?
Even if Pro is great deal … would only pay difference _ right ?
It's not clear to me whether you pay the difference at the time you buy pro or the difference in price at the time you buy pro from what you paid for the regular version. The wording to me suggests the former, but it was ambiguous enough that I am not certain. But I would get a clarification from Spitfire support before buying. Also CH explicitly said that the Studio Brass and Studio Brass Pro would not be part of the Wishlist.

It's not clear to me whether you pay the difference at the time you buy pro or the difference in price at the time you buy pro from what you paid for the regular version. The wording to me suggests the former, but it was ambiguous enough that I am not certain. But I would get a clarification from Spitfire support before buying. Also CH explicitly said that the Studio Brass and Studio Brass Pro would not be part of the Wishlist.

Double Duuuh ! Yep .. recall that now. Makes sense to cool it for now as lots on Wishlist.

Top Bottom