What's new

If you could only use 5 sample libraries?

I have not been shy over the years about making known my favorites. Alnd if people read AskAudio.com they will see that I have favorably reviewed libraries by a wide range of developers, almost all of the ones mentioned in this thread with a couple of exceptions.

But the simple truth is that if you took away from me all the ones I prefer and gave me some of the others, these days they all are so highly decent and yet still not as joyful to work with as real musicians, it would not make a big difference to me. I would simply choose the patches and instruments from among them I was given, make it sound in a way I kind of like and think that my client will like, and move on to the next one.

Here goes:

1) Ivory II American Concert D. Still my all time favourite, and run through Spaces reverb is the most magical piano)
2). Omnisphere 2.
3). Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra.
4). Metropolis Ark I
5). Spitfire Chamber Strings Pro.

That would keep me occupied on my desert island....

Very interesting thread. Usually it's about specific sample libraries and most people (myself included) are raving on about them, but here we show what we really use. For example, 39 lists so far, and
- CSS is mentioned 3 times
- CS2 4 times
- SCS 8 times

In threads here, CSS usually gets the same amount or even more love than SCS, and definitely more than CS2. Could be lots of reasons, e.g. the vast selection of articulations in SCS.

Less surprising that multi-libraries are popular, Ark 1 gets 8 votes so far.

My five:
- Albion Tundra
- Hollywood Brass
- Berlin Woodwinds
- Cinematic studio piano
- SCS

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that this forum is a microcosm of the sample user universe. I can tell you that I learned first hand while working part-time for EastWest for six years that it definitely isn't.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that this forum is a microcosm of the sample user universe. I can tell you that I learned first hand while working part-time for EastWest for six years that it definitely isn't.

Wait, are you saying that...no...are there actually people out there just using there libraries instead of talking about them in here?? I don't believe it.

Spitfire Chamber Strings
Emotional Cello/Violin
Olafar Arnalds EVO
Piano in Blue
Omnisphere

Plus my 1994 yamaha vl1...should be mentioned although if falls outside the definition.

ERA II: Medieval Legends, Ark 1, CSS, PianoTeq, Vocal Codex ... and if I can cheat and pick a sixth I'd definitely go with Ark 3 as I need my perc :)

It wouldn't really add anything to your palette if you already have Berlin Strings and CSS.
I utilize USE as a bread and butter library, layering CSSS on top for more expressiveness.
Auddict USE is a criminally underrated collection of strings samples.

sorry i passed on the AUSE deal.

Probably because @Parsifal666 hasn't yet arrived :grin:

BHCT is a GOTTA have! I use patches from that library on all kinds of mockups, from shockingly creepy to lovely.

I know, I know, none of you would ever have guessed it's my favorite sample library lol. But I must say Met Ark 2 (and 1, now that I have them both) are speeding right up the charts, though. I am ridiculously happy with both.

For synths Nave, Wavemapper/'generator, Zebra/HZ, Diva, and XILS IV are my defaults.

I think I could survive on a dessert island, at least for a little while, with only these:

Spitfire Symphonic Woodwinds
Olafur Arnalds Chamber Evolutions (*)
Spitfire Solo Strings
Tundra
Bohemian Cello

* not going to *any* desert island without this one especially

Tundra
Cinematic Strings 2
Noire Piano
Omnisphere 2

Above 4 came to me quite quickly... the 5th choice is hard though. OA Chamber Evos, British Drama Toolkit, Intimate Textures and Rhythms, Arturia V6 are all contenders but I'd probably go for...

Evolution Songwriter Steel String Guitar, as it's jaw droppingly good and incredibly versatile. It can strum, pick and lead - solo and sit beautifully in a complicated mix. And you can't beat the sound of a lovely acoustic guitar! :)

Strings: Appassionata by VSL
Woodwinds: Woodwinds by VSL
Brass: Symphonic Brass by Spitfire
Percussion: Stormdrum 3 by EastWest
Guitar: the Super Jumbo by AmpleSound.

Top Bottom