What's new

Limitations of string libraries

madfloyd

I only recently started to use some sample libraries that I bought and seem to hit a wall straight away.

I was starting with double bass. Is it a 'thing' that some libraries only support slow tempos? For example, I can't seem to do eighth notes with bass (e.g. staccato articulation) at 120bpm without it sounding like a slurred mess.

I don't think this is unrealistically fast...?

You may need either to shift the notes a bit earlier in time or set a time offset on the track so things play earlier than written.

The reason for this is that most samples contain a brief attack portion of the sound before getting to the point in the sound that we would expect to occur on the beat. This causes the music to feel like it lags behind the beat. Real players account for this naturally, but with samples you sometimes have to shift the MIDI data to account for it. And it tends to be more noticeable at higher tempos.

If the staccato/spiccato patches are tight enough, you shouldn't have this problem. It very well could be your library. What are you using?

Well the library I started with was CSS (Cinematic Studio Strings), but to some extent I'm hearing this on SF as well.

Last edited:
CSS has 4 lengths of short notes so try this with staccatissimo instead? Also you'll need a negative track delay of 30 ms if I recall correctly, due to what @pmcrockett talked about.

As @pmcrockett and @NoamL pointed out, there's a slight delay in order to preserve the natural attack of the bow, which is probably what's causing you the tempo trouble.
The exact track delay value is -60ms for the short notes to be on point.

Thanks for the responses. Anyone know how to apply a -60ms delay in Cubase?

CSS shorts are pretty tight, but i have noticed that you start losing some of that sharpness on the bassess. There are other string libraries that do excel at this type of thing though!

Are you matching the notes to the grid?

Thanks for the responses. Anyone know how to apply a -60ms delay in Cubase?

In your track inspector (the panel on the left side) toward the top are three adjustments: volume, pan, and timing. Slide the timing left or right to play the track ahead or behind the beat.

What might work better, though, is to leave the track timing where it is and just move only the eighth notes ahead. There are a few ways to do it, but I do it piano roll mode. Simply click drag your mouse over the notes to select them, and then click and hold on one of the selected notes to slide them all slightly to left. Make sure the "snap to grid" function is turned off.

Last edited:
In your track inspector (the panel on the left side) toward the top are three adjustments: volume, pan, and timing. Slide the timing left or right to play the track ahead or behind the beat.

What might work better, though, is to leave the track timing where it is and just move only the eighth notes ahead. Thee are a few ways to do it, but I do it piano roll mode. Simply click drag your mouse over the notes to select them, and then click and hold on one of the selected notes to slide them all slightly to left. Make sure the "snap to grid" function is turned off.

Thanks, very helpful.

Top Bottom