What's new

Your Favorite Reverb?

You ‘walk’ into a (virtual) room where a bunch of people are discussing which reverb is best, only to tell them that their conversation has no merit - why do that?

Well what kind of a question is that?

Because it's relevant. I think it's important to note that your choice of reverb really doesn't matter all that much. If anything, the choice of the reverb type is perhaps the most interesting aspect to think about, but beyond that, anything with a reasonable quality will do. There's an incredible amount of woo-woo attached to the subject, and your audience will not hear the difference, or care at all. So, what do you want?

Again, this thread is about which reverb is preferred, not whether or not it makes a difference to us and/or the audience - a topic which could easily have its own thread.

What a load of nonsense. You literally took it upon yourself to police the thread because for some dumb reason you don't like to hear a particular viewpoint. You should let it go before it gets real silly.

Of course choice of reverb matters.

I use Spaces to place non-Spitfire libs in a similar space, then a combination of Spaces and R2 on the stems. Sometimes PSP 2445 EMT on perc

I seem to gravitate towards Nimbus for natural reverb, Blackhole for mad extreme synthetic dreamscapes. I have used R4 as my character reverb in between those two, but I just bought LX480 which, based on my demoing, might push R4 out for that particular application.

ValhallaRoom still finds its uses, but I generally find it a bit hard to mix.

Waves IR1 with some externals IR files like LX224 or Promenadikeskus concert hall (Pori,Finland) https://legacy.spa.aalto.fi/projects/poririrs (binaural EQ) or Valhalla Room for long reverbs with or without modulation.

Last edited:
My goto is FabFilter ProR : sounding good and a breeze to use.
Then Valhalla vintage.
I use also Eventide Stereo 2016 (not sure about the name).
For more creative stuff : Soundtoys, ChromaVerb.
I’m not a fan of IR reverbs, but it’s just personal taste.

You ‘walk’ into a (virtual) room where a bunch of people are discussing which reverb is best, only to tell them that their conversation has no merit - why do that?
I usually agree with the sort of sentiment you express. But I didn't interpret the comment that way. The notion that most any reverb will do, that the difference between verb A and verb B may well fail double-blind tests etc. is a valid opinion and an on-topic contribution to the discussion.

That's how I took it anyway...

I usually agree with the sort of sentiment you express. But I didn't interpret the comment that way. The notion that most any reverb will do, that the difference between verb A and verb B may well fail double-blind tests etc. is a valid opinion and an on-topic contribution to the discussion.

That's how I took it anyway...

That's exactly what I meant and I'm confused as to how it could have been taken any other way.

I have my preferred reverbs as well. But I'm fully aware it could have been others instead - maybe because of one particular feature or a nice GUI. Most definitely, I could finish a piece with any decent reverb plugin and afterwards not listen to it and go: man, I wish it was reverb XY instead ...

I mean look at this thread so far. Everyone's just gonna name their favorites, or the ones they happen to own. And all you get from that is a thread in which all the common reverbs got mentioned. How is that apparently of more value than a essential insight that took at least some reflection and experience to develop. Even if it's not the most "fun" one and I realize that once you cross into the "gear head" territory, the joy of consumerism often times trumps practical thinking.

Convolution: Altiverb 7

Algo: Lexicon PCM, Eventide SP2016, D-Verb:)

Special: Blackhole

It doesn't matter anyway.

Top Bottom