What's new

Cubase 10

Currently using 9.5. It will be a few years before I upgrade. The only thing I miss is 32 bit plugin compatibility, which i doubt Cubase 10 will address.
How would they address 32 bit plugin support? By including a native jbridge of some sort? Do any other DAWs do this? (that's an actual question, in case that sounded sarcastic ;))

AFAIK, dropping 32 bit is a necessary step to improving their engine for the future

I have bought a lot products from Steinberg over the years, including Halion 5 & 6, Groove Agent 4, expansions, sounds, etc. I'm up to Cubase version 8.5, but mainly use 7.5 as I have a lot of 32 bit plugs.
I have not purchased anything from them in a while, cause I feel they're gauging Canadian customers, they jack up the prices a lot..for example, if I add the 9.5 upgrade from 8.5, the listed price of $159 US becomes $240 Canadian when in the basket. That's quite a difference, and quite a turn off!

How would they address 32 bit plugin support? By including a native jbridge of some sort? Do any other DAWs do this? (that's an actual question, in case that sounded sarcastic ;))

AFAIK, dropping 32 bit is a necessary step to improving their engine for the future

As far as i know, BitWig does, but other than that, i dunno.

I have bought a lot products from Steinberg over the years, including Halion 5 & 6, Groove Agent 4, expansions, sounds, etc. I'm up to Cubase version 8.5, but mainly use 7.5 as I have a lot of 32 bit plugs.
I have not purchased anything from them in a while, cause I feel they're gauging Canadian customers, they jack up the prices a lot..for example, if I add the 9.5 upgrade from 8.5, the listed price of $159 US becomes $240 Canadian when in the basket. That's quite a difference, and quite a turn off!

Next time just buy the incremental upgrade and hold off registering. For example, I bought the 9.5 upgrade on sale a few months ago ($40 cdn), and I now get the "free" upgrade to 10 because I will register it within the grace period.

Perhaps wishful thinking, but my #1 request is a revamped tempo track. Might be a limitation of the code base, unfortunately. The new click options were a great addition, but if you have a piece with metric modulations, you have to manually calculate the tempos (e.g. a piece that alternates between 4/4 and 12/8 with the pulse remaining the same). DP and Pro Tools do the math for you.

The 300 bpm limit also inhibits the use of cut time. Additionally, if you want to have a ritard or accel that lands on a specific timecode position, there is no tool to assist with that. Bezier curves in the tempo track would be great too.

Next time just buy the incremental upgrade and hold off registering. For example, I bought the 9.5 upgrade on sale a few months ago ($40 cdn), and I now get the "free" upgrade to 10 because I will register it within the grace period.

Out of curiosity... if you already owned 9.5, could you have bought another upgrade from 9 to 9.5 when on sale in the summer, and then activate it when 10 is released? I'm guessing not, but a cute way to get every new version at 40% off if you planned ahead.

Out of curiosity... if you already owned 9.5, could you have bought another upgrade from 9 to 9.5 when on sale in the summer, and then activate it when 10 is released? I'm guessing not, but a cute way to get every new version at 40% off if you planned ahead.

No. You have to have a version that has not been upgraded. You can't just buy an additional upgrade and activate it within the grace period. It utilizes your existing license. I always wait 1 full version to upgrade because it is the cheapest route.

I bought the 9 to 9.5 upgrade in the summer. I'll activate it once 10 is released, then get the free upgrade to 10. So....version 9 to 10 for $40 CDN.

• 5GB of high quality sounds and loops from renowned producers
doh-doh doo-doo dah-dah duh-duh (repeat 5,368,709,120 times). Maybe this could be separate download?

Steinberg.net is starting to look suspiciously like Ableton and NI. Creeping Loopism: the monster that devoured music!

If you don't need the latest and greatest, it is the best way to go. They usually have a sale on the .5 about 5-6 months before the next version. My only regret was I waited too long to register my 8.5 and never got the download for it. They just gave me 9. 9 crashed a lot at first because of the 32 bit plugins. I've been trying not to load 32 bit plugs where I have the same 64 bit plug, but not all installers give you the option. So I ran both 9 and 8 on my computer.

No. You have to have a version that has not been upgraded. You can't just buy an additional upgrade and activate it within the grace period. It utilizes your existing license. I always wait 1 full version to upgrade because it is the cheapest route.

Thanks, I figured that was the case. It is a real incentive to skip every other version, eh? That's what I've done this time by accident... 9.5 held pretty much zero interest for me.

No idea! Just wishful thinking.

What's the issue there? Working wonderfully here, except for a little click whenever I change from one VEP plugin to the next since it has to update the buffer...

Well, Guy has already answered this. It's way more than a "little click" when I go from VEPro plugin to plugin. It's unusable for me (a horrible distorted noise occurs every time) so it's permanently off. I too have given up thinking it will ever get fixed and it wasn't until I rattled off that list of what I would love to see happen in any new version of Cubase that I suddenly thought about how it's broken still.

Not interested in anything on the performance front?

I moved to Windows because Cubase Pro 9.5 was awful compared to my i7 machine

Did not notice any notable difference last time I gave it a try... but the UI thing was terrible. But then again Windows was terribly messy after having spent significant time on macOS.

Top Bottom