What's new

Cubase 9 - choppy 'animations'

jamieboo

Hello folks

Just noticed recently that everything animated in Cubase has now become rather choppy.

The cursor scrolling through the project on playback, the rise and fall of the meters in the mixer - everything that's animated seems to be choppy as if it's dropping frames.
Also when setting things to auto-scroll in the Score Editor when playing back and the cursor gets to the far right of the screen, the refresh to the next 'page' of the score seems to hang for a split second longer than it used to.

I've just noticed this in the last day or two. There's a slim possibility that things have always been like this and I'm just imagining - but I don't think so!

Are there any settings I can explore that might help with this?
There's been no recent changes to my drivers so I don't think it's that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Just a guess, could be Your graphic card frame rate maybe turn it up.

or CPU cores how many is CB using maybe give it more cores

Hmm. I'm a gamer so I'm reasonably savvy with graphic card settings, but I've never heard of 'turning up the frame rate' in the card before. I'm probably misunderstanding you!
And Cubase is using all cores of my i7 5820.

Hello folks

Just noticed recently that everything animated in Cubase has now become rather choppy.

The cursor scrolling through the project on playback, the rise and fall of the meters in the mixer - everything that's animated seems to be choppy as if it's dropping frames.
Also when setting things to auto-scroll in the Score Editor when playing back and the cursor gets to the far right of the screen, the refresh to the next 'page' of the score seems to hang for a split second longer than it used to.

I've just noticed this in the last day or two. There's a slim possibility that things have always been like this and I'm just imagining - but I don't think so!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Happens to me randomly over the past 6 months, no idea why. Computer restart fixes it for me. If that doesn't help, then yeah, I can see where the graphics settings or hardware could be at fault...but you'd probably see that in other apps too? Good luck...

Maybe I should update Cubase?
I'm on 9.0.10 which is a few versions behind.
I know the generic recommendation in this kind of situation is 'Don't update when in the middle of a project'. But how risky is it really?
I am in the middle of a project, but I wouldn't want to miss out on potentially better performance for fear of a low risk update.

Hmm. I'm a gamer so I'm reasonably savvy with graphic card settings, but I've never heard of 'turning up the frame rate' in the card before. I'm probably misunderstanding you!
And Cubase is using all cores of my i7 5820.

Sorry @jamieboo maybe grathics or monitor you should be able to adjust frame rate

If you mean the refresh rate of the monitor then that is at it's native rate of 60hz as usual.

Thanks Guffy, but I couldn't quite glean what the issue was there. The video posted by the OP was low res and seemingly without sound.
But judging by the tone of the postings in that thread, I get the impression that it was a more serious problem than mine.
Cubase is perfectly useable for me. It's just that I've noticed the animation of screen processes to be a bit choppy as I mentioned. It's as if they're running at 12fps or something. Curiously, movement of the mouse pointer is unaffected.
And in terms of the notion of fps, Novaburst, I still don't know of a way to adjust framerate. (Unless you were indeed talking about screen refresh rate)

Novaburst, I still don't know of a way to adjust framerate. (Unless you were indeed talking about screen refresh rate)

I am going to assume you are using SSD, if you are a photographer, gamer, or graphic designer all these software should be on a separate SSD than your music SSD as to get the optimum performance with your music program.

To get optimum frame rate you need to turn off every thing you don't need in system performance
If you have a half descent graphic card you should be able to boost it to get more frames per second (FPS)

If this does not work then Cubase has a bug, the very least it should not be doing that, from reading some things on forums the latest Cubase is under performing its older version,

Hello Novaburst

Yep, everything music related is on it's own separate SSDs.
My system is optimised and in my NV control panel the GPU is set to Performance.

What is odd is that this choppiness has only started recently. And there have been no changes that I am aware of to how my PC is set up. So regardless of how 'optimised' a system is, if it was sufficient to provide smooth performance yesterday then why not today?

Interestingly if I load a new, empty project in Cubase and hit Play, the cursor animation is smooth, so maybe the size/density/complexity of my music is slowing things down? But neither my CPU, SSD or GPU are overstressed. And music playback sounds perfect.

Och well. There is still, of course, the possibility that I'm imagining this 'sudden' change, and that animations having been gradually getting slower as my piece has grown in complexity.

I don't know.

I think this is one of those things that may be hit and miss, I am still on cubase 6 and I don't get these symptoms,

It's a glitch that may or may not be addressed

The GUI for some 8Dio Kontakt libraries causes symptoms like this in Cubase 9 on my system. Everything smooths out as soon as I close the Kontakt window containing the culprit library.

Noticed the exact same a few days ago, I'm running Cubase pro 9.5.41 on Win10...
I'm using a 144hz monitor so it's even more noticeable

Hello folks

Any ideas?

Thanks
Is this happening all the time? Have you checked for any settings changes in Cubase preferences? Also, what does the GPU look like in Task Manager - is it spiking or idle?

Have you got "Chase not Limited to Part Boundaries" in Preferences (under MIDI tab) unchecked? Needs to be off for large track counts...

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 11.38.22.png

Top Bottom