What's new

VSL keeps on synchron-izing

Dimension brass SY are released.

and, if you see on the picture, we are waiting for a power drums? ;)

Attachments

• power drums.jpg
    power drums.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 25
Dimension Brass might be the first Synchron-Ized library that I actually think is a fantastic move. They can't record the Synchron Stage "sound" while also isolating the instruments, so this is a logical step and I imagine sounds great. If they do the same with Dimension Strings, I may be tempted.

I imagine sounds great
As I think, they sounds just same as ViPro version + MIRx (or MIR) Synchron
If not take into account the addition of new articulations to ViPro version, the main convenience of the SY version for me is that I not need to create separate instances for positioning each player in the group in the MIR for playing by all group at once. For this reason, I'm waiting for the Sy-version of Dim Strings

Last edited:
Well, I gave a listen to all the material on their site for the brass. I wanted to like it but have mixed feelings. They gave it a premium price, seems they have confidence in it.

This probably means there will be Synchronized WW's also. Pretty sure I'll like those better. I'm thinking that their Silent Stage just wasn't that good for brass (or percussion). Too small for how those instruments activate the room.

Is there a reason to buy the classic Dimension Brass instead of the Synchronized one?

I would be worried about buying the original Dimension Brass. VSL seems to be moving toward their new Synchron plug-in, so I would be worried that Vienna Instruments Pro support will be dropped at some point in the future.

Regarding the new Synchron-ized Dimension Brass libraries, I must admit I'm not thrilled. Kind of starting to wonder if I like the Synchron studio sound much, at all (I own all the previous Synchron and Synchronized libraries). Seems we are being locked into less choice. And, we also now have less controllability (no iPad app for the Synchron plug-in, yet, and a lot of us relied on that).

The new Dimension Brass release rubs me the wrong way, too. Previously, there was only a "Standard" version, wasn't there? I own both the original Dimension Brass I and II libraries. So suddenly, there's now a new "Full" version of the old library that adds a few more articulations. The upgrade price differences are pretty dramatic. $41 per library to upgrade a "Full" library to the Synchron-ized version (but prior today, to my understanding, no one had the "Full" version, because there was only a standard version). To upgrade to Synchron-ized from the "Standard" version is $225 per library (and no option to upgrade an original Standard library to a Synchron Standard library for a nominal fee). So, they kind of got all of us previous owners over a barrel. So, for me, this would be a $450 upgrade, and really, all I'm getting is a few more articulations (which I don't know if I will use), and I'll lose the ability to have an iPad controller.

The only thing motivating me to do this cross grade is the concern that VSL will be dropping Vienna Instrument Pro support, since they're obviously intent to move toward the Synchron plug-in. I don't want to lose access to what I've already bought.

Also, shelling out this $450 for an upgrade doesn't mean I'm done with brass from VSL. VSL Dimension Brass is a nice library, but it is not a complete brass library with its "low brass" section played in octaves. There are times when you're not going to want that double.

Having been a loyal VSL customer for years, and having spent thousands and thousands of dollars, I am really not excited about what's happening at VSL these days, and these steep prices being charged to slather fake reverb on the samples we've previously purchased. VSL used to really be on the cutting edge, but they seem to have lost direction. They had been dormant for quite some time, and then we learned about the Synchron Studio acquisition, and that sparked hope for some new, ground-breaking content. But now, I kind of wonder why they wasted their money buying and refurbishing that studio. They could have rented a little time at that studio, taken the IR responses, and retreated to some other room to apply the convolution verb to their other libraries. No need to actually own that studio if they're not going to record new samples.

Last edited:
The only thing motivating me to do this cross grade is the concern that VSL will be dropping Vienna Instrument Pro support, since they're obviously intent to move toward the Synchron plug-in. I don't want to lose access to what I've already bought.

I’m a bit worried too, about the future support of Vienna Instruments Pro.
I own a lot of those libraries and so far I’ve bought all the Synchron and Synchron-ized releases.
The latest one: (before the Synchron-ized Dimension Brass release, that is) Synchron-ized Appassionata Strings, I actually returned.
I just preferred the original Vienna Instruments Pro version.
No matter how much I want to keep supporting VSL, I just won’t pay for a crossgrade to, in my view, in some respects, an inferior product.
If, and when, VSL decides to drop support for Instruments Pro, it’ gonna be interesting to see if they make it attractive enough for their existing customers to migrate - taking into account that a lot of us already have started that process gradually by crossgrading to choosen Synchron-ized libraries.

A bit OT: There are sample libraries being released at an evergrowing pace, it seems, and I get the feeling that the big developers get more and more profit-driven.
Maybe that’s unavoidable…
At this point, I think a lot of the most interesting (and often quite niche) libraries/software are being released by smaller developers.

Regarding the new Synchron-ized Dimension Brass libraries, I must admit I'm not thrilled. Kind of starting to wonder if I like the Synchron studio sound much, at all (I own all the previous Synchron and Synchronized libraries). Seems we are being locked into less choice. And, we also now have less controllability (no iPad app for the Synchron plug-in, yet, and a lot of us relied on that).

The new Dimension Brass release rubs me the wrong way, too. Previously, there was only a "Standard" version, wasn't there? I own both the original Dimension Brass I and II libraries. So suddenly, there's now a new "Full" version of the old library that adds a few more articulations. The upgrade price differences are pretty dramatic. $41 per library to upgrade a "Full" library to the Synchron-ized version (but prior today, to my understanding, no one had the "Full" version, because there was only a standard version). To upgrade to Synchron-ized from the "Standard" version is $225 per library (and no option to upgrade an original Standard library to a Synchron Standard library for a nominal fee). So, they kind of got all of us previous owners over a barrel. So, for me, this would be a $450 upgrade, and really, all I'm getting is a few more articulations (which I don't know if I will use), and I'll lose the ability to have an iPad controller.

Also, shelling out this $450 for an upgrade doesn't mean I'm done with brass from VSL. VSL Dimension Brass is a nice library, but it is not a complete brass library with its "low brass" section played in octaves. There are times when you're not going to want that double.

Having been a loyal VSL customer for years, and having spent thousands and thousands of dollars, I am really not excited about what's happening at VSL these days, and these steep prices being charged to slather fake reverb on the samples we've previously purchased. VSL used to really be on the cutting edge, but they seem to have lost direction. They had been dormant for quite some time, and then we learned about the Synchron Studio acquisition, and that sparked hope for some new, ground-breaking content. But now, I kind of wonder why they wasted their money buying and refurbishing that studio. They could have rented a little time at that studio, taken the IR responses, and retreated to some other room to apply the convolution verb to their other libraries. No need to actually own that studio if they're not going to record new samples.

Dimension Brass is my favorite library from VSL; it's not perfect or complete, but so is any library. That said, 225$ to upgrade to the extended version, that has actually few more articulations (that's probably because the standard version had already much more articulations that, for example, Dimension Strings standard) it's a bit too much as you suggest. It's half the price of a complete brass library.

About Synchron Studios: they didn't buy it to record libraries, as you know. I think they bought it 95% for actual orchestral recordings!

I could buy Dim Brass I + Crossgrade to SY version. So I would get the VI version with basic articulations + full SY version for same price as just the SY version.
I just don't know if I need this flexibility :D

I wasn't taken by Synchron and adding more VSL products to my list besides MirX Teldex (for the winds) until this Dimension Brass release. I own VSL SE complete and don't turn to the solo brass, especially when combining them together in sections. I'm not certain I'm hearing much difference with Dimension but maybe I need a reality check.

I've been eyeing Berlin Brass for the longest time. Can anyone speak for comparisons between Berlin and Dimension (Synchron or not) in terms of the 1 to many players per section concept, especially from a sound perspective? What I hear in Berlin is a richness, directness and width while Dimension feels like the stereo field is almost artificially small. Thoughts?

In my opinion, any brass library must to have not only close mic position. Because in mix it is very important to hear a brass located on the far side, not in front of all orchestra. Wet/dry balance between close mic and impulse reverb is not good way to do it. So, Dimension Brass (as any preSynchronAge VSL brass like SE) is not interested for me with only close mics.

In my opinion, any brass library must to have not only close mic position. Because in mix it is very important to hear a brass located on the far side, not in front of all orchestra. Wet/dry balance between close mic and impulse reverb is not good way to do it. So, Dimension Brass (as any preSynchronAge VSL brass like SE) is not interested for me with only close mics.
where does it say only close mics? couldn’t find it.

where does it say only close mics? couldn’t find it.
just listen a dry sound - it's quite close.. You couldn't find it, because all ViPro series recorded dry and close, as default - because it was a conception to record dry instruments for using them in MIR

To obtain a true mid and surround mic positions of Synchron studio for any ViPro library it needs re-record complete library from scratch, instead to just add an impulse reverb of Synchron studio, as it made in SY Player for synchronized ViPro libraries. You can see a pictures and to compare a count of mic positions between Synchron strings and Synchronized Chamber strings:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 2.38.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 2.38.16 PM.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 2.37.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 2.37.25 PM.png
    157 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Top Bottom