What's new

Thoughts on New PC Build?

I'm not planning to use it for gaming

Ditch the Nvidia graphics card if you're not interested in gaming. They tend to add a chunk to your latency compared to AMD graphics cards. I'd guess you just want a card that will drive whatever monitors you're plugging it into.

use the one incorporated in motherboard if its an intel.

This is good advice. Use onboard graphics port and skip the video card altogether.

Definitely DON'T get a Geforce / NVIDIA card for audio, since some of their drivers are a PITA on latency. They have improved their drivers, but some still cause problems.

Where is everyone seeing Nvidia graphics cards causing latency? I've only come across one thread with synthetic benchmarks on old hardware?

If it helps, I just ran Latency Monitor and got the result below. This is on the following system:

Asus Maximus Ranger VII motherboard
Intel i7 4790k overclocked to 4.5ghz
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM
Nvidia GTX 970 GPU

upload_2018-10-4_16-48-6.png upload_2018-10-4_16-48-6.png

i dont get this latency thing. latency to which kind of output? image latency? sound latency? what?

Hard to say for sure as I've only ever had an Nvidia card in this PC (perils of being an amateur with a gaming/audio PC) so I don't have any before and after tests. I can usually get 128 buffer and record ok with that but can't do 64 even with only a couple of tracks.

If it helps, I just ran Latency Monitor and got the result below. This is on the following system:

Asus Maximus Ranger VII motherboard
Intel i7 4790k overclocked to 4.5ghz
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM
Nvidia GTX 970 GPU

upload_2018-10-4_16-48-6.png upload_2018-10-4_16-48-6.png
Mine, with gtx 750ti, was about 200 uS. Now, with amd card is about 20.

How do they add, in what way do you notice, soundcard only is possible to use 256 insted of 64 in your soundcard latency settings?
Now when I think about it, those are microseconds, right? I guess it can't be a noticable thing but only a compulsion of getting a lowest possible latency lead by this software (LatencyMon). But I don't doubt it's there. I guess these values, despite being higher than with AMD cards, are green for a reason.

Reactions: URL
What is latency in this case If it meens that I can go from 128 latency in my daw to 64,what does it in tracks to make the switch, I cant really see the problem, okey the drivers... When I install my Asus grafic card based on Nvidia I only install the grafic driver, not 3D, Audio etc. for the Card, If I game I game on a other partion with all the driver installed. It would be Interesting to see the benift of switching...then I need a other grafic card....:)

I use a Geforce card in my main machine and if there's any latency it's not noticeable and does not affect tracking or my use of MIDI controllers. I've done sessions with up to 20 tracks recording simultaneously as well as dozens of MIDI tracks playing orchestral samples. AND I was playing to a click so if there was significant latency I would've noticed.

Just because you see one guy's test and LatencyMon looks green doesn't mean "it's all ok." For one thing, they don't all turn out green -- mine certainly didn't -- and for another, why use a card that is going to be literally the worst generator of latency on your system?

Without a doubt, it's better to use the onboard graphics these days, or at least not Nvidia. The processing draw of onboard graphics, many years ago, was substantial, but today its negligible.

Without a doubt, it's better to use the onboard graphics these days, or at least not Nvidia. The processing draw of onboard graphics, many years ago, was substantial, but today its negligible.

How does this fair for using 4k screens?

I need to do some more reading.

shouldnt the fans blow air out/upwards and not in/dopwnwards?
So they say.
But I use triple barrel high rpm fans in 1U ATX Supermicro Chassis.
Intake fans in the front blow air over mobs through the DIMMs and out the back.
Loud as Hell too.

Top Bottom