What's new

EDNA Earth and Phobos

I got both. Not used Phobos a lot, but definitively has nice possibilities. Mainly for pads and atmos. Not fan of their rhythmic loops. The GUI is a bit strange at first, but easy to understand when you get the concept. The presets browser is shitty though.

Just bough eDNA earth because I fell in love with the pads sounds. A lot of good material here.

Both libraries will be the basis of my ambient soundtracks for a sci-fi audiobook I've written (along with Dronar).

Maybe waaaaay off but thinking Phobos could use a careful /cool Update like eDNA01 /Kinematik.
Really wanted to purchase Phobos at Intro, but seems like many grumbles.
Would be pleased to know if most regular Users remain happy.

Maybe waaaaay off but thinking Phobos could use a careful /cool Update like eDNA01 /Kinematik.
Really wanted to purchase Phobos at Intro, but seems like many grumbles.
Would be pleased to know if most regular Users remain happy.

You are not way off with Phobos in my opinion. Love all the Spitfire stuff but regret that purchase and feel it never was ready for prime time from the installer all the way to the interface. It could use a splash of color and it's a real CPU hog.
Whenever I fire it up it just seems sort of 2nd rate, lacking in polish and feels like it's still in beta for the quality & style of product that we normally get from Spitfire. Some beautiful sounds can come out of it but I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how it works but don't know if there will ever be any more tutorials or creative help on how to use it.

Last edited:
bought eDNA when first released. It offers a huge sample base and loads of sound tweaks and I used it quite a bit in the beginning. Particularly loved the orchestra tweaks they had done. However the original GUI left me frustrated and confused. I haven't gone back to it since and tbh, haven't installed the update yet. If the new GUI is better then it's a fantastic deal, just for the samples alone...

I'm glad the blokes at Spitfire are going back to their earlier experiments and updating the framework/gui for these works... Hans Zimmer's Percussion was an welcomed update that made the truly amazing collection of mind boggling samples much more accessible and useful. Hope that's the same here.

You are not way off with Phobos in my opinion. Love all the Spitfire stuff but regret that purchase and feel it never was ready for prime time from the installer all the way to the interface. It could use a splash of color and it's a real CPU hog.
Whenever I fire it up it just seems sort of 2nd rate, lacking in polish and feels like it's still in beta for the quality & style of product that we normally get from Spitfire. Some beautiful sounds can come out of it but I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how it works but don't know if there will ever be and more tutorials or creative help on how to use it.
AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have brought it out a few times just to diddle and muk about but it is NOT what I go to when creating. It's a shame and does make me more careful in purchasing. Just waiting for a real update, which I hope is in the works.

I've got both of them, and wouldn't hesitate to purchase them again. I've used them a lot, and will definitely be using them more. The only drawback for me (if it is one) is that when I'm looking for sound options for a project, I often need to search through a lot of presets before I find something suitable for the need at hand. But, I'm not sure how they would change that. For me, even software by companies like Output that have filters in their search engine take a fair amount of searching. It's hard to find names for exotic sounds that totally describe the sound. What I should do is spend the time to completely go through Phobos and EDNA Earth and identify the presets that I particularly like, and might want to use.

I also wonder if these projects, especially Phobos, are fully completed, or if expansions are planned at some point. I would think that especially since they spent so much time building the plug-in, Spitfire would like to offer expansion packs for Phobos.

I've got both of them, and wouldn't hesitate to purchase them again. I've used them a lot, and will definitely be using them more. The only drawback for me (if it is one) is that when I'm looking for sound options for a project, I often need to search through a lot of presets before I find something suitable for the need at hand. But, I'm not sure how they would change that. For me, even software by companies like Output that have filters in their search engine take a fair amount of searching. It's hard to find names for exotic sounds that totally describe the sound. What I should do is spend the time to completely go through Phobos and EDNA Earth and identify the presets that I particularly like, and might want to use.

I also wonder if these projects, especially Phobos, are fully completed, or if expansions are planned at some point. I would think that especially since they spent so much time building the plug-in, Spitfire would like to offer expansion packs for Phobos.

With these big instruments and lots of presets I think you do need to set aside time to pick out your faves, so you search less when in the moment and composing. Until a computer can read our mind this is the next best way!

The Unfinished did one for eDNA Earth but then there was nothing since. Phobos does by all accounts seem to need an update to make it usable.

I have a few Albions so my main thing with eDNA Earth is how much is offers beyond a number of Stephenson libraries I already own?

I have a few Albions so my main thing with eDNA Earth is how much is offers beyond a number of Stephenson libraries I already own?

I was once very interested in getting this library a couple years back and I see the update is a nice one indeed, but honestly for me as an owner of the Albions there are so very many cool sounds and patches inside of Stephenson's Steam band it'll keep me busy for the rest of my days if I even get that far with just that. I think the Albion 2 stream patches are the best..

Biggest gripe about Phobos is the preset system. I found it easier to make my own sounds than trawl through the presets. Once you tweak a parameter, the preset system resets and then you have to remember where you were if you want to go to the next preset. Nice sounds though.

Top Bottom