What's new

Low RAM orchestral instruments?

Inspire and Symphobia will run on a 16 GB just fine... They also happen to sound pretty flipping excellent for being so efficient... Albion One's never given me issues despite the previous post. I've run all of them on 2011 and 2012 MacBook Pros, no issues at all.

Last edited:
Inspire and Symphobia will run on a 16 GB just fine... They also happen to sound pretty flipping excellent for being so efficient... Albion One's never given me issues despite the previous post. I've run all of them on 2011 and 2012 MacBook Pros, no issues at all.

Symphobia is the Best Buy I have done, and really makes me regret getting Albion One first as I pretty much only use the percussion from it now. It really doesn't use much Ram no, and it just sounds so great out of the box! Also, all the rips, runs, effects etc. is a huge bonus!

The orchestral stuff in the Kontakt Factory Library is by far the most RAM efficient I have found. Lots of content and decent sound. Slap some WIPS on the woodwinds and even the brass and strings and you can get a lot out of it.
What are WIPS? All the acronyms I know that match to that have nothing to do with sound.

What are WIPS? All the acronyms I know that match to that have nothing to do with sound.
It's a Kontakt script for simulated legato. I think it's floating around here somewhere or on the internet if you want to download it. The older version is called SIPS.

Do the samples in the Kontakt Factory Library sound good? I heard some do but also heard some sound like synthy.
The ones right up front can sound synthy. But if you dig into the menu and go to the Legacy orchestral instruments, you'll find some very solid instruments, including longs with modwheel dynamics. Here's a quick tutorial I did showing how to spruce up the instruments with legato, etc., using the SIPS scripts.

Last edited:
The ones right up front can sound synthy. But if you dig into the menu and go to the Legacy orchestral instruments, you'll find some very solid instruments, including longs with modwheel dynamics. Here's a quick tutorial I did showing how to spruce up the instruments with legato, etc., using the WIPS scripts.

While I still wouldn't use them too exposed, this is really cool, and could definitely work for someone just starting out! I might dig in an try this out myself!

The ones right up front can sound synthy. But if you dig into the menu and go to the Legacy orchestral instruments, you'll find some very solid instruments, including longs with modwheel dynamics. Here's a quick tutorial I did showing how to spruce up the instruments with legato, etc., using the SIPS scripts.

Wow, holy shit! Thanks! Where did you learn all this stuff?! I never bothered digging up Kontakt script under the hood but now I should! Question: you created key switches. Is it limited to up to 16 switches because there are only 16 channels?

Wow, holy shit! Thanks! Where did you learn all this stuff?! I never bothered digging up Kontakt script under the hood but now I should! Question: you created key switches. Is it limited to up to 16 switches because there are only 16 channels?
While Kontakt will allow you to load up many more instruments by switching to another port, most DAWS I've used limit your access to 16. Someone who knows more about Kontakt routing might know a way around this. So, yes, sixteen channels, sixteen key switches. You might also look into @tack's Flex Router for Kontakt to open up more possibilities in creating key switches.

Last edited:
Is it true that still all Steinberg products require a USB dongle? That's a deal breaker for me.

Been playing with the Halion Symphonic Orchestra demo. You can download it and use it for 30 days. I'm actually finding quite a lot to like about it. Great sounds. Fairly good control. And I can't find anything on the page that says it requires a dongle. Maybe it can be authorized without one?

Top Bottom