What's new

Granular for Dummies ? Seurat _ TimeDrops _ Granulat _ The Mangle ??

Sorry that my question seems so unclear. I try to explain it with an example. When I load from the Halion Sonic content the synth Anima or Skylab for example I can choose in each synth different waveforms/samples for the Oscillators from existing content folders. I just realized that even inside Halion Sonic the content seems specific (I cant choose the Anima waveforms/samples INSIDE Skylab easyly) so the simple Answer will be "NO" I think. Just thought that would have been cool if you can just choose all the waveforms/samples inside Halion Sonic from a preset browser and use inside Drop-CRE8, but seems a noob question now :), sorry for this. I will look into the videos and see how easy it might be to use some old content. Mostly I am worrying of not being in tune if I dont know the pitch of the samples.

Sorry that my question seems so unclear. I try to explain it with an example. When I load from the Halion Sonic content the synth Anima or Skylab for example I can choose in each synth different waveforms/samples for the Oscillators from existing content folders. I just realized that even inside Halion Sonic the content seems specific (I cant choose the Anima waveforms/samples INSIDE Skylab easyly) so the simple Answer will be "NO" I think. Just thought that would have been cool if you can just choose all the waveforms/samples inside Halion Sonic from a preset browser and use inside Drop-CRE8, but seems a noob question now :), sorry for this. I will look into the videos and see how easy it might be to use some old content. Mostly I am worrying of not being in tune if I dont know the pitch of the samples.

I think I understand now.... DROP-CRE8 uses samples only at this point via drag n drop or navigating through the folder path when you choose the folder icon. If you have a folder full of your own samples once you drag n drop from that folder the path will be remembered and the folder icon if pressed in the sample or granular window will open a file browser to that location now.

The content you are seeing in say Skylab" are not actually samples but are wavetables which are different and they are tied to a specific instrument. For instance our wavetable synth WAVE is the same way that it loads its own specific content that are wavetables but we are able to let you access Steinberg's wavetables from Anime and SKYLAB as well giving you a tremendous wavetable pool to choose from.

DROP-CRE8 Analog Expansion Pack 1 ($11.99) has some content in it via the sample pull down menu but it is specific to DROP-CRE8 but does work via a pull down menu. It also has the same drag n drop capability as the regular FREE DROP-CRE8.

Our first sample library coming will come with a lot of content available via the pull down menus....

To answer your question....Steinberg ties the pull down menu content to the specific products, i.e, SKYLAB, ANIME, etc... and can not be shared between products in most cases.

When we make products we are only able to point the directory to one specific folder for content and that is why each product has specific content. Hope that explains it.

Thanks a lot for the explanations, got it now. Looking forward to the first sample library :) (and regretting a little bit now that I missed the hybrid weeken deal, at that time I just did not know enough about the whole thing....)

Last edited:
To add a few things on the already good list of suggestions

Omnisphere 2 of course and now with a recent update it is also less demanding on the sytem
The one that really shines regarding granular options is Falcon from UVI. It even has a multi granular option, it is really amazing what you can do with this thing :)

UVI explained it in this tutorial (video starts from the point where the granular thingies are discussed)

And Simon Stockhausen playing with the multi granular

To add a few things on the already good list of suggestions

Omnisphere 2 of course and now with a recent update it is also less demanding on the sytem
The one that really shines regarding granular options is Falcon from UVI. It even has a multi granular option, it is really amazing what you can do with this thing :)

UVI explained it in this tutorial (video starts from the point where the granular thingies are discussed)

And Simon Stockhausen playing with the multi granular

UVI is another great engine.... Probably the only other one that is similar to HALion 6 in what it can do.... The granular sounds good but for some reason the CPU hit is somewhat high for the granular engine.... Not sure why but that has been my experience with the UVI granular.

TimeDrops was actually thought as a way to freeze time with an optimal sound quality (a la paulstretch, but with realtime capabilities). The voice handling in Kontakt turns out to be so good that it can actually compete with standalone solutions like Padshop. The windowing functions in TimeDrops made this possibile, by creating small clouds of soundscaping materials.

Here's an example of what you can do with the sample import:

Hello,

if you want into granular, here some amazing freebies secret weapons with full flexibility:

very interesting!
(broken link removed)
HADRON PARTICLE SYNTHESIZER

The plugin installer is for Windows or Mac OSX.

Now available in 64 bit VST and AU formats.
There is also a source code download with the Csound orchestra code, though all Csound code is also installed with the standard installers.

really amazing!
https://www.michaelnorris.info/software/soundmagic-spectral
soundmagiclogo.jpg
b9 ©2015 Michael Norris

SoundMagic Spectral is a freeware suite of 23 Audio Unit plug-ins that implement real-time spectral processing of sound. This groundbreaking set of effects give you unprecedented control and creativity in the processing of audio, whether from static audio files or live audio streams. SoundMagic Spectral builds on the work of the OS 9 software known as SoundMagic DSP, and takes it to even more exotic sonic realms.

soundmagicscreenshotsmaller.jpg

Complete Effects List
Included in Soundmagic Spectral are the following plug-ins:

Spectral Averaging
Spectral Bin Shift
Spectral Blurring
Spectral DroneMaker
Spectral Emergence
Spectral Filterbank
Spectral Freezing
Spectral Gate and Hold
Spectral Gliding Filters
Spectral Granulation
Spectral Harmonizer
Spectral Partial Glide
Spectral Pitch Shift
Spectral Pulsing
Spectral Shimmer
Spectral Shuffle
Spectral Stretch
Spectral Tracing
Spectral Weave
Chorus
Grain Streamer
Idee Fixer
Super Filterbank

brutal!
https://ajaxsoundstudio.com/software/soundgrain/

SOUNDGRAIN

Granular Sound Synthesis

Soundgrain is a graphical interface where users can draw and edit trajectories to control granular sound synthesis. Soundgrain is written with Python/WxPython and uses https://ajaxsoundstudio.com/software/pyo/ (Pyo) as its audio engine.

GNU GPL v3 (c) Olivier Belanger 2018

Soundgrain version 6.0.0 features a brand new granulation engine, with much more controls and capabilities than the previous one. It’s worth a try!

outstanding!
https://ajaxsoundstudio.com/software/cecilia/
Cecilia5_512.png

Cecilia 5
ear-bending sonics for OSX, Windows & Linux

Cecilia is an audio signal processing environment aimed at sound designers. Cecilia mangles sound in ways unheard of. Cecilia lets you create your own GUI using a simple syntax. Cecilia comes with many original built-in modules and presets for sound effects and synthesis.

Cecilia is free and open source (GNU GPL v3). Cecilia is programmed and maintained by Olivier.

Jumped on the sample fuel train tonight and can only say after the usual f..... steinberg licensing problems (all sample fuel licenses gone after Halion Sonic update, then the soft-elicenser unrepairable gone.....) I am really, really impressed and sure I will never ever need Halion full version for my modest synth sount creation needs cause all I need (and much more....) is in here.

And its in a "useable" and "lookable" Halion environment (compared to the great sounding but....Padshop Pro). It kind of in a way reminds me on one of my alltime favourites Octopus, maybe apart from the movement in the sounds cause of the useable presets (arp, motion, osc....) evrywhere and for evrything, thats really great.

CPU of course with the Hybrid patches is a problem, will have to find a way to reduce this apart from turning down voice amount and just switching off fx but you can HEAR where the CPU is used for :).

And its absolutely great that I can use the Anima wavetables inside the sample fuel stuff, so the soundsources to choose from are more then I will ever be able to use.

And if I think I can mix all this with the other Halion stuff as Multi.... :)

I know its not a sample fuel thread but I know they are in so a little buggy thing to mention: while changing programs RAM is unusual rising what brings my system (with 8 GB) to and over its limis. AFTER program change evrything is back to normal so I assume that there is a point where BOTH sample/waveform sets are loaded, from old and new preset. Just a guess but I have no other explanation for this. Sorry if its wrong place....

Last edited:
Jumped on the sample fuel train tonight and can only say ****** I am really, really impressed and sure I will never ever need Halion full version for my modest synth sount creation needs cause all I need (and much more....) is in here.

Hey @ KarlHeinz ! Glad to see you are making progress and enjoying (along with some mild irritation :sad:).

This Thread has truly helped me sort immediate choices. Sample Fuel has been the most 'fun' in a long time! Amazing stuff 'today' and sounds like much more coming soon !

Padshop looks strong, but maybe some beyond my ability to utilize fully right now.

Going to add Seurat & Fluffy Time Drops .... cool tools to learn with, and excellent values.

Will be adding whatever Sample Fuel creates, as soon as it appears ......

Jumped on the sample fuel train tonight and can only say after the usual f..... steinberg licensing problems (all sample fuel licenses gone after Halion Sonic update, then the soft-elicenser unrepairable gone.....) I am really, really impressed and sure I will never ever need Halion full version for my modest synth sount creation needs cause all I need (and much more....) is in here.

And its in a "useable" and "lookable" Halion environment (compared to the great sounding but....Padshop Pro). It kind of in a way reminds me on one of my alltime favourites Octopus, maybe apart from the movement in the sounds cause of the useable presets (arp, motion, osc....) evrywhere and for evrything, thats really great.

CPU of course with the Hybrid patches is a problem, will have to find a way to reduce this apart from turning down voice amount and just switching off fx but you can HEAR where the CPU is used for :).

And its absolutely great that I can use the Anima wavetables inside the sample fuel stuff, so the soundsources to choose from are more then I will ever be able to use.

I know its not a sample fuel thread but I know they are in so a little buggy thing to mention: while changing programs RAM is unusual rising what brings my system (with 8 GB) to and over its limis. AFTER program change evrything is back to normal so I assume that there is a point where BOTH sample/waveform sets are loaded, from old and new preset. Just a guess but I have no other explanation for this. Sorry if its wrong place....

Glad you are enjoying it....

As for the CPU on the high side....the wavetable engine can eat up CPU a bit compared to say just the basic sample playback engine. In the oscillator section of the wavetables if you have the "multi oscillator" button engaged like the picture below that turns on a feature that can replicate the oscillator as much as 8 copies per each oscillator. So instead of 1 oscillator making the sound you can have multiple versions playing and then when you slightly detune it makes the sound much richer sounding. It sounds great to do that but you do take a hit on the CPU. POLY the analog modeling synth has the same kind of feature on its oscillators as well.

upload_2018-6-22_9-3-55.png

As for the RAM increasing while loading....yes I assume it is not dumping the previous patch until the new one loads....I assume this because you can play the old patch up to the point where the new patch finishes loading.

The next product we release will actually have all 4 synthesis engines available being Sample Playback, Granular, POLY (Analog modeling) and WAVE (Wavetable synthesis). Most of the patches will be sample and granular based so the overall CPU on the sample libraries will be quite a bit better than just the synth based sounds in POLY and WAVE.

Yes...you can mix our stuff with all the other HALion stuff to create Multi's.

Recent intro by AudioDamage _ AD046 Quanta Synth _ now on sale at $79.
Demo sounds cool here, but not seeing any postings. Anyone?

Nearly all of these suffer from the same problem - the "single sample" approach. They are using a single audio file and stretching it across the audio range, this will often give you an acceptable sound in a granular engine, but its not "optimal", and you will start to get the usual non-musical artefacts showing up, but as I say the granular process will "mask" these to some extent.

IMHO you are better off looking for a solution that uses multisamples as a starting point and pushes the correct (non stretched) sample thru the granular engine. It offers up a wider range of usable source material over a wider frequency range, so more sonic fun can be had and still sound "nice"..but Caveat here: I'm the developer of a granular engine that does exactly what I'm suggesting as the best approach ....

Nearly all of these suffer from the same problem - the "single sample" approach. They are using a single audio file and stretching it across the audio range, this will often give you an acceptable sound in a granular engine, but its not "optimal", and you will start to get the usual non-musical artefacts showing up, but as I say the granular process will "mask" these to some extent.

IMHO you are better off looking for a solution that uses multisamples as a starting point and pushes the correct (non stretched) sample thru the granular engine. It offers up a wider range of usable source material over a wider frequency range, so more sonic fun can be had and still sound "nice"..but Caveat here: I'm the developer of a granular engine that does exactly what I'm suggesting as the best approach ....
what is this granular engine you are developing? is it already at the market?

Top Bottom