What's new

MacOS Mojave will drop support for some older Macs released before 2012

Siri is cool because when my grandson gets too rambunctious I give him my iPad and Siri’s voice is a British female, keeps him busy long enough for me to make Coffee.
Siri fetches Chu Chu TV too. That channel is a lifesaver.

Lol. SIRI is great for me when I’m on the motorcycle. I’d go as far as saying she’s a lifesaver on my 2 wheels.

They will get you in the end, all it takes is a killer new feature in Logic like they did when they released 10.3 and it would only run in El Capitan and I was still on Snow Leopard. At least I could update, but if a new Kontakt, Maschine or Logic update requires Mojave...

I often wonder if Siri is actually some 3rd world person being paid 2 rupees a day to answer questions. Sometimes the answers remind me of those call centres where they obviously don't understand anything not in the script and their english is not quite good enough to understand.

What?!?!? That cut is fantastic - the track is by Pharrell, you got B-Real's squeaky voice on the chorus, Snoop is wayyyy laid back, and the video is pure LA golden-hour CholoLocoGangBanger goodness. One of my favorites! I just didn't want to wait until I got home to hear it, but Siri wasn't having it.

"talkin' bout they gon get my chain and they gon leave wit it" - love that stuff.

dunno, maybe ask me in a month, maybe then it’ll be my fav track. Some music takes time to get into.

But at the moment I’m deep into Goth cause of the current assignment. And actually kinda diggin it too, like dating your ugly neighbour, all fun and games till your friends find out. lol

IIRC The only time an app made me upgrade to the "latest greatest" os version was for the first public (free) version of Unreal game developer's engine. I needed it for a "middleware" class (Fmod) and I haven't opened it since.
Pro Tools is usually the app that forces me to upgrade.

I never use high sierra but I want try Mojave, I hope and think macOS Mojave better than high sierra.

Whats your choice when u want to use mojave? Upgrade or Fresh Install?

...I know many composers (both professional and hobbyists) who use a MB Pro for their main rig...I'm pretty sure @whinecellar uses one as his master as well...

True, and it has worked remarkably well for me. But given a choice and enough of a break between projects, I will jump at the chance to make the move to a fully loaded Mac Pro. I am tired of dealing with 5 machines - I drool at the thought of getting it all crammed into a single Mac Pro and maybe 1 slave for the mega projects ;)

I will say in the MB Pro's favor, it's nice to be able to crack it open while traveling and get work done, whether music or any other endeavors!

If I were the one pulling the strings at Apple I might get more aggressive about dropping support for old Mac Pro's in an effort to the force hands knowing the new "more modular" Mac Pro is coming. That being said I have an Early 2009 which is still just great for me. I did upgrade most of the guts but still amazing to think its almost 10 years old!

If I were the one pulling the strings at Apple I might get more aggressive about dropping support for old Mac Pro's in an effort to the force hands knowing the new "more modular" Mac Pro is coming. That being said I have an Early 2009 which is still just great for me. I did upgrade most of the guts but still amazing to think its almost 10 years old!

What's amazing to me is that for 30+ years we treated $2500 tools as being disposable after at most three years!

We've been chumps.

What's amazing to me is that for 30+ years we treated $2500 tools as being disposable after at most three years!

We've been chumps.

Seriously. I mean, I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem and I suspect I will be for life, but what if Toyota made cars that lasted, say, 10 years tops and they stopped making parts and allowing for repairs after 8 or so years? Granted a car is 5-10 times a Mac (unless we're talking a souped up iMac Pro), but I don't think that business model would go over too well.

i dont mind too much about dropping support but its the shaky road ahead we are all seeing i dont like.

a modular/better Mac Pro which will be totally diffent maybe way better than whats available now, and also big rumors about apple making their own cpu. which would mean a heck a of a lot of programmers would need to update and sell the updates or loose them like dureing the universal binary days.
also, changing the macpro prodcution to the US instead of china. good for us but we dont have the manufacturing experience as china has so who knows about those 1st models coming out.

And Apple is having so many issues currently. iphoneX didnt do too well. siri is way behind. homepod failed and very late on deliveries. iTunes and basic osx features are a joke.
to me and other fans it seems tim cook doesnt have that power to sway its company to do better like steve jobs did.

he is making money, yes. but waiting so long to do better or different hardware for the pro market?!

we would of been extremely happy with this mac pro 2 concept
https://pascaleggert.de/macpro.html

same as the current one but more futureproof and a little bigger.

The Pro market is a blip on Apple’s bottom line. Apple just had a very good quarter.

Yes, I would like to see more innovation, but the areas Apple is interested in are services, health, digital payment, etc.-ways to entice new customers into or keep existing customers in the ecosystem. The iPhone is doing very well (don’t read the headlines, read the numbers) but they want to reduce their dependency on phone hardware as their overwhelmingly major source of revenue, and they are slowly but surely doing so.

Everyone says Apple doesn't care about pro users, yet for example I see them coming up with major updates to Logic Pro all the time.

My question is how badly we need another Mac Pro.

So far I haven't felt any need to replace my upgraded 2009 machine. Maybe the reason they haven't been quick to replace the black Mac Pro is that they don't think the world needs it, i.e. they know computer years are now down to about 5 man years.

What's the installed base of Logic Pro vs the installed base of Photoshop, Office 365, Apple Music, iBooks etc?
We tend to think we're bigger than we are.

When I upgrade from my cheesegrater, I sure would like an Apple machine that is as fast and upgradable as the fastest PC at that moment, but built and integrated more elegantly. Then I'll wait a year for a refurb that I can afford.

Perhaps the lobotomy has reduced my deductive reasoning capabilities. On the other hand, my brain was too large to begin with.

Seemed to me you were making the point that Apple DOES care about Pro users (per exemplum, Logic users). I don’t think they care so much as I doubt Logic sells a lot of Macs in the larger scheme of things.

Top Bottom