What's new

The big hunt for a simple midi controller with two full size faders!

MOMA

Stockholm, Sweden
The quest for the holy controller

Once up on a time there was the daunting quest for the holy grail. Today, in the year of 2018, we find ourselves in the pursuit for that simple yet vital midi controller.
You know the one with two basic full sized faders for expression and vibrato.
The desperate seekers come in thousands. So their should be a solid market for any smart company already doing controllers or midi keyboard.

So where is it?

One do wonder!

Mr B of Sweden

Onl two Faders? I get the minimalistic approach - I built myself one with 4 faders - Expression, Dynamics, Vibrato + 1 Spare
IMG_20170923_122020.jpg

Enough for me

Onl two Faders? I get the minimalistic approach - I built myself one with 4 faders - Expression, Dynamics, Vibrato + 1 Spare
IMG_20170923_122020.jpg

Enough for me

Would you mind sharing where you found the case - that looks like just the kind of thing I am looking for on a similar project.

Cheers, Dave

Would you mind sharing where you found the case - that looks like just the kind of thing I am looking for on a similar project.

Cheers, Dave

I found it in a local online store for electronics
pult-gehaeuse-143-x-105-x-55-abs-licht-grau-axxatronic-bim6005-gypg-1-st.jpg

Axxatronic BIM. The fadercuts are selfmade with a Dremel. Are available with either plastic bottom or steel bottom.

I found it in a local online store for electronics
pult-gehaeuse-143-x-105-x-55-abs-licht-grau-axxatronic-bim6005-gypg-1-st.jpg

Axxatronic BIM. The fadercuts are selfmade with a Dremel. Are available with either plastic bottom or steel bottom.

Thank you for taking the time to post the details.

Dave

IMG_20170923_122020.jpg

Enough for me
Excuse me for being such a novis - but how did you solve the midi-part and connections? USB or classic midi, and what do one need to get it to work with the windows demanding temper?

Excuse me for being such a novis - but how did you solve the midi-part and connections? USB or classic midi, and what do one need to get it to work with the windows demanding temper?

The Core of my controller is an Arduino (to be precise a Teensy++). Which has an USB HID chip onboard, so the computer directly recognizes it as a device, and it has a MIDI library, which then translates the signal as MIDI to the DAW. Essentially, it's Plug and Play - no middleware nothing. Uses a standard USB cable (Mini USB like most current phones) - power of course over the USB port.

Confirmed to work on my machine :rofl: Worked under Win7 and now Win 10 together with Digital Performer, StudioOne and Reaper.

The Core of my controller is an Arduino (to be precise a Teensy++). Which has an USB HID chip onboard, so the computer directly recognizes it as a device, and it has a MIDI library, which then translates the signal as MIDI to the DAW. Essentially, it's Plug and Play - no middleware nothing. Uses a standard USB cable (Mini USB like most current phones) - power of course over the USB port.

Confirmed to work on my machine :rofl: Worked under Win7 and now Win 10 together with Digital Performer, StudioOne and Reaper.

Great to hear of another Teensy hacker :).

They are great microcontrollers - I'm playing with the new Teensy LC at the moment. A few of these postage stamp size microcontrollers and a glue gun is all you need to make yourself some fun MIDI gadgets.

Great to hear of another Teensy hacker :).

They are great microcontrollers - I'm playing with the new Teensy LC at the moment. A few of these postage stamp size microcontrollers and a glue gun is all you need to make yourself some fun MIDI gadgets.

Exactly - like a faderbox :dancedance:

So - to the original post again - a two fader controller is quickly made and doesn't cost a fortune. My 4-Fader version cost me $30 because I already had some parts, so with all material it would cost roughly $100. A 2 Fader version would cost $80 roughly. So - if there *is* a market, I could cater to that. I wanted to revisit my prototype this year, create a companion program and see how much a properly etched PCB etc would cost me.

Like another member did, I then would take orders and make batches - or whatever would be nice for the people here :)

Exactly - like a faderbox :dancedance:

So - to the original post again - a two fader controller is quickly made and doesn't cost a fortune. My 4-Fader version cost me $30 because I already had some parts, so with all material it would cost roughly $100. A 2 Fader version would cost $80 roughly. So - if there *is* a market, I could cater to that. I wanted to revisit my prototype this year, create a companion program and see how much a properly etched PCB etc would cost me.

Like another member did, I then would take orders and make batches - or whatever would be nice for the people here :)

Excellent idea, I hope you find some interest. It could be nice little side project if you can generate a customer base. Here in London there are a lot of 3d printing startups who can fabricate enclosures for a reasonable cost - even with small order sizes.

The quest for the holy controller

Once up on a time there was the daunting quest for the holy grail. Today, in the year of 2018, we find ourselves in the pursuit for that simple yet vital midi controller.
You know the one with two basic full sized faders for expression and vibrato.
The desperate seekers come in thousands. So their should be a solid market for any smart company already doing controllers or midi keyboard.

So where is it?

One do wonder!

Mr B of Sweden
Hi Moma

Here it is ;)

It's very compact 165mm x70mm x25mm, with a 3d printed lid.

100mm Bourns faders.

Plug and play with pc and Mac. £89 Made in the UK If I get enough demand.

Nick

Attachments

• 20210608_225544.jpg
    20210608_225544.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom