What's new

George Martin Founded AIR Studios Up For Sale

Blimey. Is the building listed?

There is pretty much no business that I can imagine that would make more ROI than selling that building to a housing developer such is the state of London at the moment.

I was lucky to work there briefly in 1993, shortly after George Martin opened the facility for business. It's a gorgeous room—both sonically and visually. I hope the next owner wants to use it for recording.

Best,

Geoff

Christian
I have a feeling you're joking because I spoke with Christian about this very subject at the Spitfire event in LA recently, and he left me with the impression that it was more than he could afford.

I suppose, though, that he could have been playing his cards close to the vest...

Best,

Geoff

Independent London-based recording studio operator Strongroom Limited has acquired the studio from British music firm Chrysalis Group and audio equipment manufacturer Pioneer GB Limited, which were 50/50 joint partners in AIR. The two firms will each receive £1.625 million ($2.83 million) in cash on completion of the deal.

In a statement issued today (Feb. 8), Strongroom owner and managing director Richard Boote says he intends to keep running both businesses independent of one another. "I believe that bringing Strongroom and AIR together will not only ensure the survival of two of the greatest recording facilities in Europe, but also enhance the offerings of both studios," he says.

Source:

https://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1358131/air-studios-sells-for-56m

Independent London-based recording studio operator Strongroom Limited has acquired the studio from British music firm Chrysalis Group and audio equipment manufacturer Pioneer GB Limited, which were 50/50 joint partners in AIR. The two firms will each receive £1.625 million ($2.83 million) in cash on completion of the deal.

In a statement issued today (Feb. 8), Strongroom owner and managing director Richard Boote says he intends to keep running both businesses independent of one another. "I believe that bringing Strongroom and AIR together will not only ensure the survival of two of the greatest recording facilities in Europe, but also enhance the offerings of both studios," he says.

Source:

https://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1358131/air-studios-sells-for-56m
That's from 2006

Oh shit - you are right... sorry!

The billboard article linked to that article, causing me to think it current.

Last edited:
I hope Hans bought it. If anyone should own that facility, it is him. Who would possibly take better artistic care of it?
Remote Control London would be awesome, but I can't say wether or not it would be worth for composers to have their own Recording stage?! Sure would be nice, but doesn't the upkeep, staff etc. cost you a lot of money? So unless your like Hans with a whole company and financial independence behind you, I think it would be really hard to own something like that... but who knows, maybe Christian and Paul get others like Trevor Morris in who love AIR just like Spitfire:rolleyes:

Top Bottom