What's new

How much did you spend on sample libraries 2017?

0 also, but I did get a few NFR licenses for libraries to review, and bought a couple of hardware guitars.

My Visa - not me, bought and bought and still buying (HZ Strings)! One day I’ll cut it to pieces!!

Afraid to find out. I need a more CPU powerful machine to drive these libraries so that will be my focus after tax season.

reading this thread I wonder how its possible that the guitar market is such in trouble (btw I just discovered that Pro Guitar Shop closed late 2017) . I myself bought two guitars as well only this year.

Well, I bought one for about $150, because people on this forum talked me into buying it to sample, then resold it at a slight loss after recording a ridiculous 12 GB of raw sample material. That was a Defil electric 12-string from the 1970s. The other one I kept and play live, that was about $200 - it's an Artisan ES-330 copy. With a buyer's market for used instruments, it's not really that big a surprise that manufacturers of new guitars are having trouble.

Well, at least some manufacturers - I wonder how, for example, Eastman are doing financially. But I guess that's a whole another thread.

Edit: and somewhat more on topic, I did get a library - Spitfire LCO - for my birthday this year.

Just for the record. I dont dare to continue asking ”how much have you guys spent over the years” as it may be too sensitive topic.

You build the arsenal in 2009 and in 2012 its outdated, is that so. You build a new in 2013 and in 2017 its outdated.

But I like some of those older libraries, like the Kontakt Factory Library strings and Native Instruments Actions Strikes and a few more. Wouldnt dish them, just bcs they old. Maybe someone hanging on to some old libraries, like an old viola.

I am not going to answer the question as it is too painful.

On a brighter note, I sold my barely used Boutique JU-06 for so much more than I paid for it, I effectively got Diva free!!

I find I've reached a sort of critical mass with my libraries. I can do most things I want to do and when reviewing new libraries critically I usually conclude there's not much added value. So, I did buy Joshua Bell, I didn't buy much else.

It’s an interesting topic. My sub-questions-

For aspiring professionals, do you think the amount you spent got you closer to your goals of getting into or deeper into the industry?

For professionals, did you generate new income commensurate with what you spent? If not, do you feel that the amount you spent will eventually pay off economically?

For hobbyists, did the amount you spent give you a commensurate amount of pleasure?

Way, way, way too much. So instead of pre-ordering HZ Strings I bought a new acoustic and a bass. The guitar business is indeed in trouble and there are some great deals out there. So that's a start isn't it?

Not a single cent spent on libraries last year. Instead I bought a professional pizza oven :) So much better than strings :)

MarcosPizzaOven.jpg

MarcosPizza2.jpg

MarcosPizza3.jpg

Top Bottom